Hi John! How was your weekend with your brother and sister-in-law?
嗨,约翰!你和你哥哥还有嫂子的周末过得怎么样?
Oh, it was great! I hosted them from Thursday night until Sunday.
哦,太棒了!我从周四晚上到周日接待了他们。
We had a cookout and went to the pool!
我们一起户外烧烤,还去了游泳池!
That's awesome, John! You used an interesting verb: "to host".
太棒了,约翰!你使用了一个有趣的动词:“to host”。
The verb "to host" means to receive and entertain guests.
动词“to host”的意思是接待和款待客人。
The noun "host" describes the person who was welcoming or entertaining the guests.
名词“host”描述的是欢迎或招待客人的主人。
The word "host" is connected to the word "hospitality" or the act of having guests, or the service of welcoming guests.
“host”这个词与“hospitality”, 或者与接待客人的行为,或欢迎客人的服务有关。
The "hospitality industry" describes businesses including hotels, restaurants, tourism and entertainment.
“hospitality(服务业)”描述了包括酒店、餐馆、旅游和娱乐在内的业务。
And a person can also be "hospitable"or "welcoming" of guests.
而且一个人也可以对客人“hospitable”或“welcoming”。
Well, I'm glad you could catch up with them this weekend.
嗯,我很高兴你这个周末能和他们聚一聚。
Faith, you just said an interesting verb: "to catch up".
费思,你刚才说了一个有趣的动词:“to catch up”。
The phrasal verb "catch up" describes a situation where we are meeting someone after a long time apart and we have a lot to talk about, so we "catch up."
短语动词“catchup”描述的是这样一种情况:我们在分开很长时间后与某人见面,有很多话要谈,所以我们“聚一聚”。
Let's catch up soon!
让我们聚一聚吧!
I'll text you!
我会给你发短信!
If the sentence includes who we are talking to, we use the preposition "with" in the phrase.
如果句子中包含我们正在与之交谈的人,我们在短语中使用介词“with”。
You caught up with your brother last weekend.
上个周末你和你的兄弟聚了聚。
I'll catch up with you next week!
我下周想和你聚一聚!!
You know, John, I really love hosting Everyday Grammar with you.
你知道吗,约翰,我真的很喜欢和你一起主持《每日语法》节目。
Thanks, Faith.
谢谢,费思。
I enjoy hosting the show with you as well.
我也很享受和你一起主持这个节目。
And that's everyday grammar TV!
这就是本期的《每日语法》电视节目!