Miss Minchin entered the room with a sternly dignified manner. She was correctly and well dressed, and rigidly polite.
铭钦女士进了房间,态度威严生硬。她穿着得体讲究,举止严格守礼。
"I am sorry to disturb Mr. Carrisford," she said;
“我很抱歉来打扰卡里斯福特先生,”她说,
"but I have explanations to make. I am Miss Minchin, the proprietress of the Young Ladies' Seminary next door."
“但是,我得做一番解释。我是铭钦女士,隔壁女童培育院的女主人。”
The Indian gentleman looked at her for a moment in silent scrutiny.
印度绅士望着她,默默审视了一会儿。
He was a man who had naturally a rather hot temper, and he did not wish it to get too much the better of him.
他是个生来就有点儿火爆脾气的男子,可他不愿让它太占上风。
"So you are Miss Minchin?" he said.
“原来,你就是铭钦女士?”他说。
"I am, sir."
“是我,先生。”
"In that case," the Indian gentleman replied, "you have arrived at the right time. My solicitor, Mr. Carmichael, was just on the point of going to see you."
“如果是这样,”印度绅士应道,“你来得正是时候。我的律师卡迈克尔先生正要去见你。”
Mr. Carmichael bowed slightly, and Miss Minchin looked from him to Mr. Carrisford in amazement.
卡迈克尔先生略略欠身行礼,铭钦女士惊讶地看看他,又看看卡里斯福特先生。
"Your solicitor!" she said. "I do not understand. I have come here as a matter of duty.
“你的律师!”她说。“我不懂了。我来这儿是为了尽我的职责。
I have just discovered that you have been intruded upon through the forwardness of one of my pupils—a charity pupil.
我刚发现我的一个学生由于鲁莽闯入了你这儿——那是个受施舍的学生。
I came to explain that she intruded without my knowledge." She turned upon Sara.
我是来解释她的闯入并未得到我的允许。”她转身冲着萨拉。
"Go home at once," she commanded indignantly. "You shall be severely punished. Go home at once."
“马上回去,”她愤慨地命令道。“你将受到严厉的惩罚。马上回去。”
The Indian gentleman drew Sara to his side and patted her hand.
印度绅士把萨拉拉到身边,轻轻拍拍她的手。
"She is not going."
“她不回去了。”
Miss Minchin felt rather as if she must be losing her senses.
铭钦女士觉得自己似乎就要失去理智了。
"Not going!" she repeated.
“不回去了!”她重复道。
"No," said Mr. Carrisford. "She is not going home—if you give your house that name.
“不回去,”卡里斯福特先生说。“她不回家了——即使你把你那栋房子称为家也罢。
Her home for the future will be with me."
她未来的家将同我在一起。”
Miss Minchin fell back in amazed indignation.
铭钦女士又惊又气地向后倒退。
"With you! With you sir! What does this mean?"
“同你在一起!同你,先生!这是什么意思?”
"Kindly explain the matter, Carmichael," said the Indian gentleman;
“请把这事解释一下,卡迈克尔,”印度绅士说,
"and get it over as quickly as possible."
“尽可能快点结束这一切。”