"I don't believe fifty thousand mice would," said Janet, severely; "and we have to be as quiet as one mouse."
“我相信就是五万只老鼠也不会,”珍尼特严厉地说,“而我们必须像只有一只老鼠那样地安静。”
Mr. Carrisford laughed and patted her shoulder again.
卡里斯福特先生笑了,又拍拍她的肩膀。
"Papa won't be very long now," she said. "May we talk about the lost little girl?"
“爸爸不会太久就会回来,”她说。“我们是不是可以谈谈那个失踪的小女孩?”
"I don't think I could talk much about anything else just now,"
“我想在眼前,我也没心思去多谈别的事,”
the Indian gentleman answered, knitting his forehead with a tired look.
印度绅士回答,皱起眉头,一脸倦意。
"We like her so much," said Nora. "We call her the little un-fairy princess."
“我们非常喜欢她,”诺拉说。“我们叫她非仙女小公主。”
"Why?" the Indian gentleman inquired, because the fancies of the Large Family always made him forget things a little.
“为什么?”印度绅士询问,因为“大家庭”成员们的奇思怪想总使他有点儿忘乎所以。
It was Janet who answered.
回答的是珍尼特。
"It is because, though she is not exactly a fairy, she will be so rich when she is found that she will be like a princess in a fairy tale.
“那是因为,虽然她并不真的是仙女,但当她被找到后,会像神话故事中的公主那样富有。
We called her the fairy princess at first, but it didn't quite suit."
起初我们叫她仙女公主,但那不太合适。”
"Is it true," said Nora, "that her papa gave all his money to a friend to put in a mine that had diamonds in it,
“是不是真有其事,”诺拉说,“她爸爸曾把所有的钱都给了一个朋友投在一座有钻石的矿上,
and then the friend thought he had lost it all and ran away because he felt as if he was a robber?"
后来那朋友认为目已把钱都白扔了,便逃之夭夭,因为他常得自己简直像个强盗,这都是真的吗?”
"But he wasn't really, you know," put in Janet, hastily.
“但你和道,他并不真是个强盗,”珍尼特急急地插话。
The Indian gentleman took hold of her hand quickly.
印度绅士赶忙一把抓住她的手。
"No, he wasn't really," he said.
“不,他真的不是强盗,”他说。
"I am sorry for the friend," Janet said;
“我替那个朋友难过,”珍尼特说,
"I can't help it. He didn't mean to do it, and it would break his heart. I am sure it would break his heart."
“我没法不这样。他不是有意哪样做的,这事儿会使他心碎。我肯定这会使他心碎。”
"You are an understanding little woman, Janet," the Indian gentleman said, and he held her hand close.
“你是个善解人意的小女子,珍尼特,”印度绅士说,紧抓住她的手。
"Did you tell Mr. Carrisford," Donald shouted again, "about the little-girl-who-isn't-a-beggar?
“你可曾告诉过卡里斯福特先生,”唐纳德又喊道,“关于那个‘不是乞丐的小女孩’的事?
Did you tell him she has new nice clothes? P'r'aps she's been found by somebody when she was lost."
你可曾告诉过他,她有了漂亮的新衣服?也许当她失踪的时候,已被什么人找到了。”
"There's a cab!" exclaimed Janet. "It's stopping before the door. It is papa!"
“有辆出租马车来了!”珍尼特叫道。“它在门口停下了。那是爸爸!”
They all ran to the windows to look out.
他们都跑到窗口向外看。