Women came to the well, but did not linger;
间或有妇女来井边打水,却无人停留——
whatever they saw on Theon’s face sent them away quickly.
看见席恩的表情,人人掉头走避。
Behind him the broken tower stood, its summit as jagged as a crown where fire had collapsed the upper stories long ago.
在他身后,残塔矗立,很久以前,烈火焚尽了它的上层,留下锯齿状的尖端,犹如一顶王冠。
As the sun moved, the shadow of the tower moved as well, gradually lengthening, a black arm reaching out for Theon Greyjoy.
太阳移动,高塔的阴影亦步亦趋,逐渐拉长,如一支黑手伸向席恩。
By the time the sun touched the wall, he was in its grasp.
日头还没落到墙后,他已完全落入黑手掌握。
If I hang the girl, the northmen will attack at once, he thought as he loosed a shaft.
假如我吊死女孩,北方人会立刻攻城,他边射边想,
If I do not hang her, they will know my threats are empty.
假如我就此罢休,他们便会把我的威胁当耳边风。
He knocked another arrow to his bow.
他又搭上一支箭。
There is no way out, none.
进退两难,无路可走。
“If you had a hundred archers as good as yourself, you might have a chance to hold the castle,” a voice said softly.
“假如您麾下有一百位和您一样出色的弓箭手,或能守住城堡,”一个声音轻轻地说。
When he turned, Maester Luwin was behind him.
他回头一看,鲁温师傅正在身后。
“Go away,” Theon told him.
“走开,”席恩告诉他,
“I have had enough of your counsel.”
“我受够了你的谏言。”
“And life? Have you had enough of that, my lord prince?”
“您的生命呢?您觉得自己活够了吗,亲王殿下?”
He raised the bow.
他抬起弓,
“One more word and I’ll put this shaft through your heart.”
“再敢多言,休怪我将你一箭穿心。”
“You won’t.”
“您不会这么做。”
Theon bent the bow, drawing the grey goose feathers back to his cheek.
席恩拉满弓弦,灰色的鹅毛羽翎拉到颊边。
“Care to make a wager?”
“打赌?”
“I am your last hope, Theon.”
“我是你最后的希望,席恩。”
I have no hope, he thought.
我没有希望了,他心想,
Yet he lowered the bow half an inch and said, “I will not run.”
但还是将弓放低一寸:“我不会逃走。”
“I do not speak of running. Take the black.”
“我并非建议你逃走。穿上黑衣吧。”
“The Night’s Watch?”
“当守夜人?”
Theon let the bow unbend slowly and pointed the arrow at the ground.
席恩缓缓松开弓弦,箭尖指地。
“Ser Rodrik has served House Stark all his life, and House Stark has always been a friend to the Watch.
“罗德利克爵士将毕生奉献给史塔克家族,而史塔克家族一直是守夜人军团的盟友,
He will not deny you.
他无法拒绝这个提议。
Open your gates, lay down your arms, accept his terms, and he must let you take the black.”
请打开城门,放下武器,公开答应他的条件,您一定能得到穿上黑衣的机会。”
A brother of the Night’s Watch.
成为守夜人军团的兄弟。
It meant no crown, no sons, no wife … but it meant life, and life with honor.
那意味着没有王冠,没有儿子,没有老婆……同时也意味着生命,拥有荣誉的生命。
Ned Stark’s own brother had chosen the Watch, and Jon Snow as well.
奈德·史塔克的弟弟不就选择当守夜人么?琼恩·雪诺也一样。