Presently they heard a solemn Voice, that seemed to come from somewhere near the top of the great dome, and it said:
没多久,他们听到一个声音,似乎从靠近那巨大的圆屋顶上传下来的,郑重地说道:
"I am Oz, the Great and Terrible. Why do you seek me?"
“我是伟大的可怕的奥芝。你们为什么要来找我?”
They looked again in every part of the room, and then, seeing no one, Dorothy asked, "Where are you?"
他们的目光搜寻着宫殿里的每一个角落,一个人也没有,多萝茜发问道:“你在哪里?”
"I am everywhere," answered the Voice, "but to the eyes of common mortals I am invisible.
“任何地方我都在,”声音回答说,“一个普通人的眼睛,是看不见我的。
I will now seat myself upon my throne, that you may converse with me."
现在我已经坐在我的宝座上,让你们能够对着我。”
Indeed, the Voice seemed just then to come straight from the throne itself;
真的,这声音似乎从那宝座那里对直发出来的;
so they walked toward it and stood in a row while Dorothy said:
所以他们朝着宝座走去,排成一行,接着多萝茜说道:
"We have come to claim our promise, O Oz."
“啊,伟大的奥芝,我们来请求你,实践你对我们的许诺。”
"What promise?" asked Oz.
“实践什么?”奥芝问。
"You promised to send me back to Kansas when the Wicked Witch was destroyed," said the girl.
“你答应在那坏女巫被杀死了以后,把我送回堪萨斯州去,”女孩子说。
"And you promised to give me brains," said the Scarecrow.
“你许诺给我脑子,”稻草人说。
"And you promised to give me a heart," said the Tin Woodman.
“你允许给我一颗心,”铁皮人说。
"And you promised to give me courage," said the Cowardly Lion.
“你答应给我胆量,”胆小的狮子说。
"Is the Wicked Witch really destroyed?" asked the Voice, and Dorothy thought it trembled a little.
“你们真的杀死了那女巫吗?”对面的声音在质问她,多萝茜感到这声音似乎在颤抖。
"Yes," she answered, "I melted her with a bucket of water."
她回答说:“是的,是我用一木桶的水浇溶了她。”
"Dear me," said the Voice, "how sudden! Well, come to me tomorrow, for I must have time to think it over."
“那么,”声音说,“好吧,明天还到我这里来,现在太急促了!因为我一定要有一点儿时间,考虑清楚。”
"You've had plenty of time already," said the Tin Woodman angrily.
铁皮人忿忿地说:“你已经考虑了很久了。”
"We shan't wait a day longer," said the Scarecrow.
稻草人说:“我们再也不愿意等哪怕是一天了。”
"You must keep your promises to us!" exclaimed Dorothy.
多萝茜高声叫着:“你一定要遵守你对我们的许诺!
The Lion thought it might be as well to frighten the Wizard,
那狮子想道,最好是去恐吓一下那魔术家,
so he gave a large, loud roar, which was so fierce and dreadful that Toto jumped away from him in alarm and tipped over the screen that stood in a corner.
所以就高声地吼着,那是怎样猛烈而且可怕的呛哮,吓得托托从狮子身旁跑开,撞在那安放在角落里的屏风上。
As it fell with a crash they looked that way, and the next moment all of them were filled with wonder.
屏风拍挞一声倒下来,他们全都很好奇。
For they saw, standing in just the spot the screen had hidden, a little old man, with a bald head and a wrinkled face, who seemed to be as much surprised as they were.
因为他们看见站在屏风后面,是一个秃了头、皱了脸的、又矮小又丑的老头儿,那老头儿也和他们一样,非常吃惊。
The Tin Woodman, raising his axe, rushed toward the little man and cried out, "Who are you?"
铁皮人举起了他的斧头,向这个矮小的老头儿冲过去,并大叫道:“你是谁?”
"I am Oz, the Great and Terrible," said the little man, in a trembling voice.
“我是伟大的可怕的奥芝,”那矮小的老头儿用一种颤动的声音说。
"But don't strike me--please don't--and I'll do anything you want me to."
“但是请不要伤害我——我可以为你们做任何事情。”
Our friends looked at him in surprise and dismay.
他们惊异而失望地看着他。
"I thought Oz was a great Head," said Dorothy.
多萝茜说:“我想奥芝是一个大头怪兽。”
"And I thought Oz was a lovely Lady," said the Scarecrow.
稻草人说:“我想奥芝是一个可爱的美丽的贵妇人。”
"And I thought Oz was a terrible Beast," said the Tin Woodman.
铁皮人说:“我想奥芝是一只恐怖的巨兽。”
"And I thought Oz was a Ball of Fire," exclaimed the Lion.
狮子解释着说:“我想奥芝是一个燃着的火球。”
"No, you are all wrong," said the little man meekly. "I have been making believe."
“不,你们看到的都不是我本人,”矮小的老人温和谦逊地说。“那都是假的。”
"Making believe!" cried Dorothy. "Are you not a Great Wizard?"
“假的?”多萝茜喊着。“你并不是魔术师奥芝?”
"Hush, my dear," he said. "Don't speak so loud, or you will be overheard--and I should be ruined. I am supposed to be a Great Wizard."
“我的朋友们,静一点儿,轻一点儿,”他说,“说话声音不要那么大,不然你们的话被人偷听了去——我就完蛋了。我是假扮做一个魔术师的。”
"And aren't you?" she asked.
“你真的不是伟大的奥芝吗?”她问。
"Not a bit of it, my dear; I'm just a common man."
“我的亲爱的,的确不是的;我和你一样是一个普通的人。”