She's locked herself into her room and if he tries any brutality she's going to turn the light out and on again."
她把自己锁在房间里,如果他有任何残忍的举动,她就会把灯关掉,然后再打开。”
"He won't touch her," I said. "He's not thinking about her."
“他不会碰她的,”我说。“他现在想的不是她。”
"I don't trust him, old sport."
“我不信任他,老兄。”
"How long are you going to wait?"
“你要等多久?”
"All night if necessary. Anyhow till they all go to bed."
“整整一夜,如果有必要的话。不管怎样,直到他们都上床睡觉。”
A new point of view occurred to me.
我想到了一个新的想法。
Suppose Tom found out that Daisy had been driving.
假设汤姆发现黛西一直在开车。
He might think he saw a connection in it--he might think anything.
他可能认为他看到了其中的联系——他或许什么都会起疑心。
I looked at the house: there were two or three bright windows downstairs and the pink glow from Daisy's room on the second floor.
我看了看房子:楼下有两三个明亮的窗户,二楼黛西的房间发出粉红色的光。
"You wait here," I said. "I'll see if there's any sign of a commotion."
“你在这儿等着,”我说。“我去看看有没有骚动的迹象。”
I walked back along the border of the lawn, traversed the gravel softly and tiptoed up the veranda steps.
我沿着草坪的边沿往回走,轻轻地走过砾石路,踮起脚尖走上阳台的台阶。
The drawing-room curtains were open,and I saw that the room was empty.
客厅的窗帘是开着的,我看到房间里空无一人。
Crossing the porch where we had dined that June night three months before
穿过三个月前那个六月的晚上我们吃饭的门廊
I came to a small rectangle of light which I guessed was the pantry window.
我来到一个小长方形的灯光前,我猜那是食品室的窗户。
The blind was drawn but I found a rift at the sill.
窗帘拉上了,但我发现窗台上有一道裂缝。
Daisy and Tom were sitting opposite each other at the kitchen table with a plate of cold fried chicken between them and two bottles of ale.
黛西和汤姆在餐桌前相对而坐,两人中间夹着一盘冷炸鸡和两瓶啤酒。
He was talking intently across the table at her and in his earnestness his hand had fallen upon and covered her own.
他隔着桌子聚精会神地对着她说话,他的手热切地落在她的手上,盖住了她的手。
Once in a while she looked up at him and nodded in agreement.
她不时抬头看着他,点头表示同意。
They weren't happy, and neither of them had touched the chicken or the ale--and yet they weren't unhappy either.
他们没有很开心,谁也没碰过鸡和啤酒——但他们也没有不开心。
There was an unmistakable air of natural intimacy about the picture and anybody would have said that they were conspiring together.
这幅画明显带有一种自然亲密的气氛,任何人都会说他们在一起密谋。
As I tiptoed from the porch I heard my taxi feeling its way along the dark road toward the house.
我蹑手蹑脚地走出门廊,听见出租车沿着黑色的道路向房子走去。
Gatsby was waiting where I had left him in the drive.
盖茨比还在车道上我刚才和他分开的地方等着。
"Is it all quiet up there?" he asked anxiously.
“上面很安静吗?”他焦急地问。
"Yes, it's all quiet." I hesitated. "You'd better come home and get some sleep."
“是的,一切都很安静。”我犹豫了一下。“你最好回家睡一会儿。”
He shook his head.
他摇了摇头。
"I want to wait here till Daisy goes to bed. Good night, old sport."
“我想在这里等到黛西睡觉。晚安,老兄。”
He put his hands in his coat pockets and turned back eagerly to his scrutiny of the house,
他把手插进上衣口袋,热切地转过身去仔细察看着房子,
as though my presence marred the sacredness of the vigil.
仿佛我的存在破坏了守夜的神圣。
So I walked away and left him standing there in the moonlight--watching over nothing.
于是我走开了,留下他站在月光下——空守着。