I must have felt pretty weird by that time
我当时一定神志恍惚了
because I could think of nothing except the luminosity of his pink suit under the moon.
因为我什么也想不起来,除了月光下他那套粉红色西装的光亮。
"What are you doing?" I inquired.
“你在干什么?”我问道。
"Just standing here, old sport."
“就站在这儿,老兄。”
Somehow, that seemed a despicable occupation.
不知何故,这似乎是一种可耻的行径。
For all I knew he was going to rob the house in a moment;
说不定他准备马上就去抢劫这个人家;
I wouldn't have been surprised to see sinister faces, the faces of "Wolfshiem's people," behind him in the dark shrubbery.
如果我看到“沃尔夫山姆的人”在他身后黑暗的灌木丛里露出险恶的面孔,我不会感到惊讶。
"Did you see any trouble on the road?" he asked after a minute.
“你看到路上出什么事了吗?”过了一会儿他问。
"Yes."
“看见了。”
He hesitated.
他犹豫了。
"Was she killed?"
“她撞死了吗?”
"Yes."
“死了。”
"I thought so; I told Daisy I thought so.
“我料到了;我当时就告诉黛西是撞死了。
It's better that the shock should all come at once. She stood it pretty well."
最好是所有的冲击都同时到来。她挺过来了。”
He spoke as if Daisy's reaction was the only thing that mattered.
他说得好像黛西的反应是唯一重要的事情。
"I got to West Egg by a side road," he went on,
“我从一条岔路到了西卵,”他接着说,
"and left the car in my garage. I don't think anybody saw us but of course I can't be sure."
“我把车停在车库里了。我想没有人看到我们,但我当然不能肯定。”
I disliked him so much by this time that I didn't find it necessary to tell him he was wrong.
到现在为止,我非常不喜欢他,我觉得没有必要告诉他他错了。
"Who was the woman?" he inquired.
“那个女人是谁?”他问。
"Her name was Wilson. Her husband owns the garage. How the devil did it happen?"
她的名字叫威尔逊。她丈夫拥有车库。到底是怎么回事?”
"Well, I tried to swing the wheel----" He broke off, and suddenly I guessed at the truth.
“嗯,我想把驾驶盘扳过来的——”他停住了,突然间我猜出了真相。
"Was Daisy driving?"
“黛西开车吗?”
"Yes," he said after a moment, "but of course I'll say I was.
“是的,”过了一会儿他说,“但我当然要说我在开。
You see, when we left New York she was very nervous and she thought it would steady her to drive--
你知道,当我们离开纽约的时候,她非常紧张,她以为这样她就可以安心地开车了
and this woman rushed out at us just as we were passing a car coming the other way.
当我们从另一个方向经过一辆车时,这个女人冲了出来。
It all happened in a minute but it seemed to me that she wanted to speak to us, thought we were somebody she knew.
这一切都发生在一分钟之内,但我觉得她想和我们说话,以为我们是她认识的人。
Well, first Daisy turned away from the woman toward the other car, and then she lost her nerve and turned back.
黛西先是把车子从那个女人那边转向那辆车子,接着她惊慌失措又转了回去。
The second my hand reached the wheel I felt the shock--it must have killed her instantly."
我的手一碰到方向盘,我就感到了震动——她一定是当场撞死了。”
"It ripped her open----"
“把她撕开了——”
"Don't tell me, old sport." He winced.
“别告诉我,老兄。”他皱起眉头。
"Anyhow--Daisy stepped on it. I tried to make her stop, but she couldn't so I pulled on the emergency brake.
“不管怎样——黛西踩上去了。我试着让她停下来,但她停不下来,所以我拉了紧急刹车。
Then she fell over into my lap and I drove on.
然后她倒在我的腿上,我继续开车。
"She'll be all right tomorrow," he said presently.
“她明天就会好的,”过了一会儿他说。
"I'm just going to wait here and see if he tries to bother her about that unpleasantness this afternoon.
“我就在这儿等着,看他今天下午是不是想为那件不愉快的事去打扰她。