"We can't argue about it here," Tom said impatiently as a truck gave out a cursing whistle behind us.
“我们不能在这里争论,”汤姆不耐烦地说,这时一辆卡车在我们身后发出一声咒骂的汽笛。
"You follow me to the south side of Central Park, in front of the Plaza."
“你跟我到中央公园南边,广场前面。”
Several times he turned his head and looked back for their car, and if the traffic delayed them he slowed up until they came into sight.
有几次,他转过头,回头寻找他们的车,如果交通耽搁了他们,他就放慢速度,直到他们出现在眼前。
I think he was afraid they would dart down a side street and out of his life forever.
我想他是害怕他们会冲进一条小巷,永远离开他的生活。
But they didn't.
但是他们没有。
And we all took the less explicable step of engaging the parlor of a suite in the Plaza Hotel.
我们都采取了比较难理解的步骤,在广场酒店租了一间套房的客厅。
The prolonged and tumultuous argument that ended by herding us into that room eludes me,
漫长而混乱的争论在我们进入房间后结束,
though I have a sharp physical memory that, in the course of it,
虽然我有一个清晰的物理记忆,在这个过程中,
my underwear kept climbing like a damp snake around my legs and intermittent beads of sweat raced cool across my back.
我的内衣裤像一条湿漉漉的蛇缠在腿上不停地往上爬,断断续续的汗珠凉透了我的后背。
The notion originated with Daisy's suggestion that we hire five bath room sand take cold baths,
这个想法源于黛西的建议,她建议我们租五间浴室,洗冷水澡,
and then assumed more tangible form as "a place to have a mint julep."
然后以更具体的形式呈现,如“喝薄荷酒的地方”。
Each of us said over and over that it was a "crazy idea"--
我们每个人都一遍又一遍地说这是个“疯狂的想法”
we all talked at once to a baffled clerk and thought, or pretended to think, that we were being very funny. . . .
我们都立刻对一个为难的店员说话,认为,或假装认为,我们这样非常滑稽……
The room was large and stifling, and, though it was already four o'clock, opening the windows admitted only a gust of hot shrubbery from the Park.
房间又大又闷,虽然已经是四点钟了,打开窗户,只能从公园灌木林里吹来一阵滚烫的热风。
Daisy went to the mirror and stood with her back to us, fixing her hair.
黛西走到镜子前,背对着我们站着,整理她的头发。
"It's a swell suite," whispered Jordan respectfully and every one laughed.
“这是个豪华套房。”乔丹恭恭敬敬地低声说,大家都笑了。
"Open another window," commanded Daisy, without turning around.
“再打开一扇窗户,”黛西低声说道,没有转身。
"There aren't any more."
“没有窗户可打开了。”
"Well, we'd better telephone for an axe ----"
“好吧,我们最好打电话要把斧子——”
"The thing to do is to forget about the heat," said Tom impatiently. "You make it ten times worse by crabbing about it."
“要做的就是忘掉酷热。”汤姆不耐烦地说。“你这样唠叨,只会使事情更糟十倍。”
He unrolled the bottle of whiskey from the towel and put it on the table.
他从毛巾上解下那瓶威士忌,把它放在桌子上。
"Why not let her alone, old sport?" remarked Gatsby. "You're the one that wanted to come to town."
“为什么不让她一个人呆着呢,老兄?”盖茨比说。“是你想进城的。”
There was a moment of silence.
一阵沉默。
The telephone book slipped from its nail and splashed to the floor,
电话簿从钉子上滑落,啪的一声掉在地板上,
whereupon Jordan whispered "Excuse me"--but this time no one laughed.
于是乔丹低声说了声“对不起”——但这次没有人笑。