"I didn't mean to interrupt your lunch," he said.
“我并不是有意在午饭时打扰你,”他说。
"But I need money pretty bad and I was wondering what you were going to do with your old car."
“但我急需用钱,我想知道你要怎么处理你的旧车。”
"How do you like this one?" inquired Tom. "I bought it last week."
“你觉得这个怎么样?”汤姆问。“我上周买的。”
"It's a nice yellow one," said Wilson, as he strained at the handle.
“这是一辆漂亮的黄色轿车,”威尔逊一边说,一边使劲打着油。
"Like to buy it?"
“想买吗?”
"Big chance," Wilson smiled faintly. "No, but I could make some money on the other."
“没门儿,”威尔逊淡淡地笑了笑。“没有,但我可以用另一种方式赚些钱。”
"What do you want money for, all of a sudden?"
“你突然要钱干什么?”
"I've been here too long. I want to get away. My wife and I want to go west."
“我在这里待得太久了。我想离开。我和妻子想去西部。”
"Your wife does!" exclaimed Tom, startled.
“你妻子想去!”汤姆吃惊地叫道。
"She's been talking about it for ten years." He rested for a moment against the pump, shading his eyes.
“她已经说了十年了。”他靠在抽水机旁休息了一会儿,遮着眼睛。
"And now she's going whether she wants to or not. I'm going to get her away."
“现在她要走了,不管她愿不愿意。我要把她弄走。”
The coupé flashed by us with a flurry of dust and the flash of a waving hand.
一辆小轿车从我们身边疾驰而过,扬起一阵尘土,一只手挥了挥。
"What do I owe you?" demanded Tom harshly.
“我该付你多少钱?”汤姆严厉地问。
"I just got wised up to something funny the last two days," remarked Wilson.
威尔逊说:“前两天我突然想到一件有趣的事。”
"That's why I want to get away. That's why I been bothering you about the car."
“这就是我想离开的原因。所以我才一直为车子的事来烦你。”
"What do I owe you?"
“我该付你多少钱?”
"Dollar twenty."
“二十美元。”
The relentless beating heat was beginning to confuse me and I had a bad moment there before I realized that so far his suspicions hadn't alighted on Tom.
无情的热浪开始把我搞糊涂了,我在那儿度过了一段糟糕的时光,后来才意识到,到目前为止,他的怀疑还没有落在汤姆身上。
He had discovered that Myrtle had some sort of life apart from him in another world and the shock had made him physically sick.
他发现茉特尔和他在另一个世界里有某种不同的生活,这次打击使他的身体感到不舒服。
I stared at him and then at Tom, who had made a parallel discovery less than an hour before--
我看看他,又看看汤姆,不到一小时前,他也有了同样的发现——
and it occurred to me that there was no difference between men, in intelligence or race, so profound as the difference between the sick and the well.
我突然想到,在智力或种族方面,人与人之间最深刻的差别莫过于病人与健康之间的差别。
Wilson was so sick that he looked guilty, unforgivably guilty--as if he had just got some poor girl with child.
威尔逊病得很重,看上去很内疚,不可原谅的内疚——就好像他刚让一个可怜的姑娘怀了孩子似的。
"I'll let you have that car," said Tom. "I'll send it over tomorrow afternoon."
“我把那辆车给你,”汤姆说。“我明天下午就给你送来。”
That locality was always vaguely disquieting, even in the broad glare of afternoon,
那个地方总是隐隐约约令人不安,即使在下午耀眼的阳光下,
and now I turned my head as though I had been warned of something behind.
因此我转过头去,仿佛有人警告我背后有什么东西。