Before long nearly everyone else had left, but they kept walking around and around.
不久后,几乎所有人都离开了,但他们还是不停地走着。
“I don’t know this girl,” Ethan kept saying.
“我不认识你说的这个人,”伊森不停地说。
“Who did you talk to?”
“谁跟你说什么了吗?”
“I don’t remember his name. He knew Bailey, though.”
“我不记得他的名字了。不过他认识贝利。”
I froze at my name, wondering if I was going to get in trouble for the candy wrapper I was stealthily eating.
听到我的名字,我愣住了,想着是不是我偷吃了糖纸闯祸了。
“Everybody knows Bailey; he comes to all the games.”
“所有人都知道贝利;他每场比赛都来看。”
I quickly swallowed, but apparently I wasn’t in trouble.
我很快咽了口唾沫,但显然不是因为我闯祸了。
After another circuit around the big yard, made uninteresting by the fact that I’d pretty much found everything edible, the boy and the girl stopped and hugged.
男孩和女孩又绕着大院子转了一圈。我把能吃的都吃光了,所以现在觉得很无趣。伊森和女孩又停下来彼此拥抱了。
They did that a lot.
他们经常拥抱。
“You’re all sweaty,” the girl laughed, pushing him away.
“你浑身都是汗,”女孩笑着把他推开。
“Want to go for a car ride, Bailey?” the boy asked.
“想开车兜风吗,贝利?”男孩问。
Of course I did! We went home, and there was some more quiet talking,
我当然想!我们回到家,又是一阵安静的谈话,
and they fed me and I was content to fall asleep on the living room floor while the girl and the boy wrestled silently together on the couch.
他们喂了我吃的,我心满意足地在客厅的地板上睡着了,而男孩和女孩在沙发上安静地扭作一团。
We had a new dog door now, from the back door right out into the yard,
我们现在有了一个新的狗门,从后门一直到院子里,
and no one ever tried to suggest I should have to sleep in the garage anymore.
没有人再建议我睡在车库里了。
I was glad I broke the family of that habit.
我很高兴我让家人们戒掉了这个习惯。
I went outside to relieve myself and was astonished to find a piece of meat lying in the grass by the fence.
我出去撒尿,惊讶地发现篱笆旁的草地上有一块肉。
The funny thing was, it didn’t smell right.
但这肉闻起来不太对。
There was a sharp tang to it, an odd, bitter odor.
有一种刺鼻的味道,一气味奇怪又苦涩。
Even more strange, Todd’s scent was all over it.
更奇怪的是,这肉上满是托德的气味。
I picked up the piece of meat and carried it to the back patio, where I dropped it, the bitter taste causing foam in my mouth.
我捡起那块肉,把它拿到后院,我把它扔在后院,但肉的苦味让我嘴里泛起了白沫。
Then I sat and looked at it.
然后我坐下来看着这块肉。
It was a pretty bad flavor, but then, it was a nice hunk of meat.
这肉的味道很糟糕,但确实是块不错的肉。
If I chewed it fast enough, I could probably swallow it without tasting it.
如果我嚼得够快的话,我可能可以直接吞下去,就不用尝到味道了。
I poked the meat with my nose.
我把鼻子凑近那块肉。
Why, I wondered, did it smell so strongly of Todd?
我在想,为什么这肉都是托德的味道呢?