After the house, we were to see the grounds and the swimming pool, and the hydroplane and the midsummer flowers--
看完房子,我们要去看草地、游泳池、水上飞机和仲夏的花——
but outside Gatsby's window it began to rain again so we stood in a row looking at the corrugated surface of the Sound.
但是窗外又开始下雨了,所以我们站成一排,望着那起伏的海面。
"If it wasn't for the mist we could see your home across the bay," said Gatsby.
“要不是有雾,我们就能看到海湾对面你的家了。”盖茨比说。
"You always have a green light that burns all night at the end of your dock."
“你的码头尽头总有一盏通宵亮着的绿灯。”
Daisy put her arm through his abruptly but he seemed absorbed in what he had just said.
黛西突然伸出胳膊搂住他,但他似乎完全沉浸在自己刚才说的话里。
Possibly it had occurred to him that the colossal significance of that light had now vanished forever.
他可能已经想到,那光现在已经永远失去了它的意义。
Compared to the great distance that had separated him from Daisy it had seemed very near to her, almost touching her.
与他和黛西之间的距离相比,那盏灯似乎离她很近,几乎碰到了她。
It had seemed as close as a star to the moon.
它看上去就像一颗星星离月亮那么近。
Now it was again a green light on a dock. His count of enchanted objects had diminished by one.
现在它又只是码头上的绿灯了。他的魔法物品减少了一件。
I began to walk about the room, examining various indefinite objects in the half darkness.
我开始在房间里踱来踱去,在半明半暗的光线中打量着各种各样模糊不清的东西。
A large photograph of an elderly man in yachting costume attracted me, hung on the wall over his desk.
一个挂在他办公桌上方的墙上,穿着游艇服的老人的大幅照片吸引了我。
"Who's this?"
“这是谁?”
"That? That's Mr. Dan Cody, old sport."
“那个?那是丹·科迪先生,老兄。”
The name sounded faintly familiar.
这个名字听起来有点耳熟。
"He's dead now. He used to be my best friend years ago."
“现在他已经死了。他多年前是我最好的朋友。”
There was a small picture of Gatsby, also in yachting costume, on the bureau -- Gatsby with his head thrown back defiantly -- taken apparently when he was about eighteen.
在写字台上有一张盖茨比的小照片,也是穿着游艇服的——盖茨比倔强地仰着头——显然是在他十八岁左右照的。
"I adore it!" exclaimed Daisy. "The pompadour! You never told me you had a pompadour -- or a yacht."
“我喜欢它!”黛西叫道。“笔直向后梳的发型!你从没告诉过我你剪过蓬巴杜头——或者有过游艇。”
"Look at this," said Gatsby quickly. "Here's a lot of clippings -- about you."
“看看这个。”盖茨比飞快地说。“这里有很多你的剪报。”
They stood side by side examining it.
他们肩并肩地站着,仔细地看这些剪报。