Monsieur and Madame Thénardier lived in a village called Montfermeil near Paris.
德纳第先生和夫人住在巴黎附近一个叫孟费的村子里。
There was no water in the village, and the nearest water was a small river in a wood fifteen minutes' walk away.
村子里没有水源,最近的水源是树林里的一条小河,离村子有十五分钟的路程。
People carried the water in buckets to their houses. Cosette hated that wood.
村民都要拎桶打水回家。珂赛特痛恨那个树林。
At night, the trees made noises. She was frightened of the noises, frightened of the dark, and with a heavy bucket of water, it was a long walk home.
夜晚,树木发出声响。珂赛特害怕那种声响,害怕黑暗。她手里拎着沉沉的一桶水,令回家的路变得很漫长。
One dark winter night in 1823, Madame Thénardier sent Cosette out to the river for water.
1823年一个漆黑的冬夜,德纳第夫人叫珂赛特到河边去打水。
Cosette ran to the river and then, with her heavy bucket of water, she began to walk home.
珂赛特跑到河边,打了水后,拎着沉沉的水桶往家走。
The trees were noisy tonight, whispering and laughing at her, and the little girl began to cry.
今天晚上树木发出的声音很响,它们在一边低语,一边嘲笑她,这个小女孩开始哭了起来。
'Oh please God, help me! Please, dear God!'
“噢,上帝啊,求您救救我吧!求您了,亲爱的上帝!”
And suddenly, the bucket was gone. A great hand came down and took it from her. She looked up and saw a big man in an old yellow coat.
突然,她手里的水桶不见了。一只大手伸了过来,把水桶接了过去。她抬起头来,看见一个穿着黄色旧外套的大个子男人。
Sometimes we know, without words, when something good is happening.
有时候,不用说话我们也会知道好事正降临在自己身上。
The little girl knew that now, and she was not frightened of the big man, not a bit.
小女孩现在就有这种预感,她不害怕这个大个子男人,一点儿也不。
The man spoke to her. 'Child, this is a very heavy bucket. Shall I carry it for you?'
那个男人开口跟她说话:“孩子,这桶水很沉啊。我来帮你拎,好吗?”
'Yes, Monsieur.'
“好的,先生。”
'How old are you?'
“你几岁了?”
'I'm eight years old, Monsieur.'
“我八岁了,先生。”
'Where is your mother?'
“你的妈妈在哪儿呢?”
'I don't know,' said the child. 'I haven't got a mother.'
“我不知道。”这孩子说道,“我没有妈妈。”
'What's your name?'
“你叫什么名字?”
'Cosette.'
“珂赛特。”