"Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
“彼得,”她努力镇定地说,“你对我的真实感情究竟怎么样?”
"Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
“就像一个孝顺的儿子一样,温迪。”
"I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.
“我早就料到了。”温迪说,走到屋里最远的一头,独自坐下。
"You are so queer," he said, frankly puzzled, "and Tiger Lily is just the same.
“你真怪,”彼得说,坦白地表示他迷惑不解,“虎莲也正是这样。
There is something she wants to be to me, but she says it is not my mother."
她想要做我的什么,可她又说不是做我的母亲。”
"No, indeed, it is not," Wendy replied with frightful emphasis. Now we know why she was prejudiced against the redskins.
“哼!当然不是。”温迪语气重重地说。现在我们明白了,她为什么对印第安人没有好感。
"Then what is it?"
“那她想做我的什么?”
"It isn't for a lady to tell."
“这不是一位小姐该说的话。”
"Oh, very well," Peter said, a little nettled. "Perhaps Tinker Bell will tell me."
“那好吧,”彼得有点带刺儿地说,“也许叮叮铃会告诉我的。”
"Oh yes, Tinker Bell will tell you," Wendy retorted scornfully. "She is an abandoned little creature."
“那当然,叮叮铃会告诉你的。”温迪轻蔑地顶了他一句,“她是个放荡的小东西。”
Here Tink, who was in her bedroom, eavesdropping, squeaked out something impudent.
叮叮铃正在她的小室里偷听,这时尖声嚷出了一句无礼的话。
"She says she glories in being abandoned," Peter interpreted.
“她说她以放荡为荣。”彼得翻译了她的话。
He had a sudden idea. "Perhaps Tink wants to be my mother?"
彼得忽然想到:“也许叮叮铃愿意做我的母亲吧?”
"You silly ass!" cried Tinker Bell in a passion.
“你这个蠢货!”叮叮铃怒气冲冲地喊道。
She had said it so often that Wendy needed no translation.
这句话她说了那么多次,温迪都不需要翻译了。
"I almost agree with her," Wendy snapped. Fancy Wendy snapping!
“我几乎和她有同感。”温迪怒冲冲地说。
But she had been much tried, and she little knew what was to happen before the night was out.
想想看,温迪居然也会怒冲冲地说话。可见她受够了,而且她也没想到这个晚上会发生什么事。
If she had known she would not have snapped.
要是她早知道的话,她绝不会发火的。
None of them knew. Perhaps it was best not to know.
他们谁也不知道。也许不知道更好。
Their ignorance gave them one more glad hour;
正因为懵懵懂懂一无所知,才能再享受一小时的快乐;
and as it was to be their last hour on the island, let us rejoice that there were sixty glad minutes in it.
由于这是他们在岛上的最后一小时,让我们欢庆他们拥有足足六十分钟的快乐。