A humorous suggestion was made that she sing the notes on her face whereupon she threw up her hands,
有人开玩笑,建议她唱脸上滑落的那些音符,然后她举起双手,
sank into a chair and went off into a deep vinous sleep.
在椅子上一坐就睡着了。
"She had a fight with a man who says he's her husband," explained agirl at my elbow.
“她和一个自称是她丈夫的男人打了一架,”我身旁的一个姑娘解释说。
I looked around.
我环顾四周。
Most of the remaining women were now having fight swith men said to be their husbands.
剩下的女客现在多半都在跟她们所谓的丈夫吵架。
Even Jordan's party, the quartet from East Egg, were rent asunder by dissension.
甚至连乔丹的那一伙,来自东卵的四人,也因意见分歧而四分五裂。
One of the men was talking with curious intensity to a young actress,
其中一个男人正在劲头十足对一个年轻女演员说话,
and his wife after attempting to laugh at the situation in a dignified and indifferent way broke down entirely and resorted to flank attacks--
他的妻子起先还保持尊严,装得满不在乎,想一笑置之,到后来完全垮了,就采取侧面攻击——
at intervals she appeared suddenly at his side like an angry diamond, and hissed "You promised!" into his ear.
每隔一段时间,她突然出现在他身边,像一颗愤怒的钻石,对着他的耳朵嘶嘶地说:“你答应过的!”
The reluctance to go home was not confined to wayward men.
不愿回家的人不仅是任性的男客。
The hall was at present occupied by two deplorably sober men and their highly indignant wives.
现在大厅里有两个毫无醉意的男人和他们极为愤怒的妻子。
The wives were sympathizing with each other in slightly raised voices.
妻子们稍微提高了声音互相表示同情。
"Whenever he sees I'm having a good time he wants to go home."
“每当他看到我玩得很开心,他就想回家。”
"Never heard anything so selfish in my life."
“我这辈子从没听过这么自私的话。”
"We're always the first ones to leave."
“我们总是第一个离开的。”
"So are we."
“我们也是。”
"Well, we're almost the last tonight," said one of the men sheepishly.
“不过,我们几乎是今晚最后一个了,”其中一个男人局促不安地说。
"The orchestra left half an hour ago."
“乐队半小时前就走了。”
In spite of the wives' agreement that such malevolence was beyond credibility,
但妻子们一致认为这种恶毒的话是不可信的,
the dispute ended in a short struggle, and both wives were lifted kicking into the night.
争吵以短暂的抗争结束,两个妻子都被抬起来,踢着脚,消失在深夜里。