"I like to come," Lucille said.
“我喜欢来,”露西尔说。
"I never care what I do, so I always have a good time.
“我从不在意自己要做什么,所以我总是过得很愉快。
When I was here last I tore my gown on a chair, and he asked me my name and address--
我上次到这儿来的时候,在椅子上把衣服撕破了,他问我的姓名和地址——
inside of a week I got a package from Croirier's with a new evening gown in it."
不到一个星期,我就收到克罗里公司送来的一个包裹,里面装着一件新的晚礼服。”
"Did you keep it?" asked Jordan.
“你收下了吗?”乔丹问。
"Sure I did. I was going to wear it tonight, but it was too big in the bust and had to be altered.
“当然我收下了。我本来打算今晚穿的,但是胸部的地方太大了,得改一改。
It was gas blue with lavender beads. Two hundred and sixty-five dollars."
它是浅蓝色的,上面镶着淡紫色的珠子。二百六十五美元。”
"There's something funny about a fellow that'll do a thing like that,"said the other girl eagerly.
“一个家伙干出这种事来,真有意思,”另一个姑娘热切地说。
"He doesn't want any trouble with ANYbody."
“他不想和任何人起争执。”
"Who doesn't?" I inquired.
“谁不想?”我问道。
"Gatsby. Somebody told me----"
“盖茨比。有人告诉我——”
The two girls and Jordan leaned together confidentially.
两个姑娘和乔丹靠在一起说悄悄话。
"Somebody told me they thought he killed a man once."
“有人告诉我,他们认为盖茨比曾经杀过一个人。”
A thrill passed over all of us.
我们都感到十分惊讶。
The three Mr. Mumbles bent forward and listened eagerly.
三个姓马布尔斯的男人向前探了探身,认真地听着。
"I don't think it's so much THAT," argued Lucille skeptically;
“我想不是那么回事,”露西尔怀疑地说。
"it's more that he was a German spy during the war."
“他更有可能在战争期间是德国的间谍。”
One of the men nodded in confirmation.
其中一个人点头表示同意。
"I heard that from a man who knew all about him, grew up with him in Germany," he assured us positively.
“我少从一个对他非常了解的人那里听说多,他们从小一起在德国长大,”他肯定地向我们保证。
"Oh, no," said the first girl, "it couldn't be that, because he was in the American army during the war."
“哦,不,”第一个女孩说,“不可能,因为战争期间他在美国军队里。”
As our credulity switched back to her she leaned forward with enthusiasm.
我们因为她的话又转向她,她也热情地向前倾着身子。
"You look at him sometimes when he thinks nobody's looking at him. I'll bet he killed a man."
“你可以趁他以为没有人看他的时候看他一眼,我敢打赌他杀了一个人。”
She narrowed her eyes and shivered.
她眯起眼睛,打了个冷战。
Lucille shivered.
露西尔也开始颤抖。
We all turned and looked around for Gatsby.
我们都转过身来,四处寻找盖茨比。
It was testimony to the romantic speculation he inspired that there were whispers about him from those
这足以证明他引起了人们何等浪漫的遐想了——
who found little that it was necessary to whisper about in this world.
有些人觉得在这个世界上没有什么需要避讳,现在却对盖茨比的情况窃窃私语。