I was on my way to get roaring drunk from sheer embarrassment when Jordan Baker came out of the house and stood at the head of the marble steps,
我百无聊赖,正要喝得酩酊大醉时,乔丹·贝克从屋里出来,站在大理石台阶的顶上,
leaning a little backward and looking with contemptuous interest down into the garden.
稍微向后倾着身子,带着轻蔑的神气向下望着花园。
Welcome or not, I found it necessary to attach myself to someone before I should begin to address cordial remarks to the passers-by.
不管喜不喜欢,我觉得有必要先找个人作伴,于是开始向路过的人说些亲切的话。
"Hello!" I roared, advancing toward her.
“你好!”我一边大声喊到,一边朝她走去。
My voice seemed unnaturally loud across the garden.
我的声音在花园里显得格外洪亮。
"I thought you might be here," she responded absently as I came up.
“我猜你也许会来的,”我走上前来时,她心不在焉地回答。
"I remembered you lived next door to----"
“我记得你住在隔壁——”
She held my hand impersonally, as a promise that she'd take care of me in a minute,
她冷漠地握着我的手,作为她答应马上再来理会我的表示,
and gave ear to two girls in twin yellow dresses who stopped at the foot of the steps.
与此同时开始听台阶下面停住脚步的两个穿着相同黄色连衣裙的姑娘讲话。
"Hello!" they cried together. "Sorry you didn't win."
“你好!”她们一起喊道。“可惜你没赢。”
That was for the golf tournament.
这说的是高尔夫球比赛。
She had lost in the finals the week before.
乔丹在上星期的决赛中输掉了。
"You don't know who we are," said one of the girls in yellow, "but we met you here about a month ago."
“你不知道我们是谁,”其中一个女孩说,“但我们大约一个月前在这儿见过你。”
"You've dyed your hair since then," remarked Jordan, and I started but the girls had moved casually on
“你们后来把头发染了。”乔丹说,我吃了一惊,但姑娘们却若无其事地走开了。
and her remark was addressed to the premature moon, produced like the supper, no doubt, out of a caterer's basket.
她这句话像是对着早升的月亮说的,毫无疑问,这月亮像是晚餐的酒菜,从酒席承办人的篮子里拿出来的一样。
With Jordan's slender golden arm resting in mine we descended the steps and sauntered about the garden.
乔丹纤细的金黄色的胳膊挽着我的胳膊,和我一起下了台阶,在花园里闲逛。
A tray of cocktails floated at us through the twilight and we sat down at a table with the two girls in yellow and three men,
一盘鸡尾酒在暮色中摆到我们面前,我、乔丹、两个穿黄衣服的姑娘和三个男人一起坐在桌旁,
each one introduced to us as Mr. Mumble.
嘟囔着进行自我介绍。
"Do you come to these parties often?" inquired Jordan of the girl beside her.
“你常来参加这些聚会吗?”乔丹问她身边的女孩。
"The last one was the one I met you at," answered the girl, in an alert,confident voice.
“我上次来就是见到你的那一次,”姑娘用机灵而自信的声音回答。
She turned to her companion: "Wasn't it for you,Lucille?"
她转向她的同伴说:“你是不是也一样,露西尔?”
It was for Lucille, too.
露西尔也一样。