And indeed Tink was darting about again, using offensive language.
果然,叮叮铃在他们周围飞来飞去,嘴里还不住地骂骂咧咧。
"She says she will do that to you, Wendy, every time I give you a thimble."
“她说,温迪,每次我给你一顶针的时候,她就要整你。”
"But why?"
“可为什么呢?”温迪问。
"Why, Tink?"
“为什么呀,叮叮铃?”彼得问。
Again Tink replied, "You silly ass."
叮叮铃又一次回答说:“你这笨蛋。”
Peter could not understand why, but Wendy understood, and she was just slightly disappointed when he admitted that he came to the nursery window not to see her but to listen to stories.
彼得还是不明白为什么,可是温迪明白了。彼得承认,他来到育儿室窗口,不是来看温迪,而是来听故事的,这使温迪有一点失望。
"You see, I don't know any stories. None of the lost boys knows any stories."
“你知道,我没听过多少故事。那些丢失的孩子没有一个会讲故事。”
"How perfectly awful," Wendy said.
“那可实在太糟了。”温迪说。
"Do you know," Peter asked "why swallows build in the eaves of houses? It is to listen to the stories. O Wendy, your mother was telling you such a lovely story."
“你知道为什么燕子要在房檐下筑窝?”彼得问,“就是为了听故事。啊,温迪,你妈妈那天给你讲的一个故事多好听啊。”
"Which story was it?"
“哪个故事?”
"About the prince who couldn't find the lady who wore the glass slipper."
“就是讲一个王子找不到那个穿玻璃鞋的姑娘。”
"Peter," said Wendy excitedly, "that was Cinderella, and he found her, and they lived happily ever after."
“彼得,”温迪兴奋地说,“那就是灰姑娘的故事,王子找到她了,后来他们就永远幸福地住在一起。”
Peter was so glad that he rose from the floor, where they had been sitting, and hurried to the window.
彼得高兴极了,他从坐着的地板上跳了起来,急匆匆地奔向窗口。
"Where are you going?" she cried with misgiving.
“你上哪儿去?”温迪不安地问。
"To tell the other boys."
“去告诉那些男孩。”
"Don’t go Peter," she entreated, "I know such lots of stories."
“别走,彼得,”温迪恳求说,“我知道好多故事。”
Those were her precise words, so there can be no denying that it was she who first tempted him.
千真万确,这就是她说的话,所以,毫无疑问是她首先缠住彼得的。
He came back, and there was a greedy look in his eyes now which ought to have alarmed her, but did not.
彼得回来了,眼睛里露出贪婪的神情,这本来是应该使温迪感到惊骇的,可是她并没有惊骇。
"Oh, the stories I could tell to the boys!" she cried, and then Peter gripped her and began to draw her toward the window.
“啊,我有那么多故事可以讲给那些孩子们听!”温迪喊道。彼得抓住了她,把她拉向窗口。
"Let me go!" she ordered him.
“放开我!”温迪命令他。
"Wendy, do come with me and tell the other boys."
“温迪,你跟我来吧,讲给那些孩子听。”
Of course she was very pleased to be asked, but she said, "Oh dear, I can’t. Think of mummy! Besides, I can’t fly."
当然她很乐意受到邀请,可是她说:“唉,我不能呀。想想妈妈!再说,我也不会飞呀。”
"I’ll teach you."
“我教你。”
"Oh, how lovely to fly."
“啊,能飞,该多有意思呀。”
"I’ll teach you how to jump on the wind’s back, and then away we go."
“我教你怎样跳上风的背,然后我们就走了。”