Sadness came from all of them as they stood there silently in the road,
当他们静静地站在路上时,悲伤从他们身上涌了出来,
but they didn’t know how sick Hungry had been, sick from birth and not long for the world.
但是他们不知道Hungry有多难受,从一出生就开始难受,不久于世。
I was put in the cage, and Mother sniffed disapprovingly at the woman’s smell, which had been pressed into my fur.
我被关在笼子里,母亲不以为然地嗅着那女人的气味,那气味已经钻进我的毛皮里去了。
With a lurch, the truck started up again,
卡车猛地一颠,又发动起来,
and I was quickly distracted by the wonderful odors flowing through the cage as we moved down the road.
当我们沿着路走的时候,我很快就被笼子里散发出来的美妙气味吸引住了。
I was riding in a truck! I barked in delight, Fast and Mother jerking their heads in surprise at my outburst.
我坐的是卡车!我高兴地叫着,见我这样,Fast和母亲惊讶地摇着头。
I couldn’t help myself; it was the most exciting thing that had ever happened in my whole life, including almost catching the frog.
我情不自禁;这是我一生中最激动人心的事情,包括差点抓到的那只青蛙。
Fast seemed overcome with sadness, and it took me a moment to understand:
Fast似乎沉浸在悲伤中,过了一会儿我才明白:
Sister, his favorite companion, was gone, as lost to us as was Hungry.
姐姐,他最喜欢的伙伴,已经走了,对我们来说,就像失去Hungry一样难受。
There was, I reflected, much more complexity to the world than I had supposed.
我想,这个世界比我想象的要复杂得多。
It wasn’t just about Mother and my siblings hiding from people, hunting, and playing in the culvert.
世界不仅仅是母亲和我的兄弟姐妹们躲避人群,打猎,在涵洞里玩耍。
Larger events had the ability to change everything— events that were controlled by human beings.
更大的事件有能力改变一切——人类控制的事件。
I was wrong about one thing:
有一件事我错了:
though we didn’t know it at the time, Fast and I would meet up with Sister again in the future.
虽然当时我们并不知道,但是Fast和我以后还会再见到姐姐。