Occasionally I even saw a dog in a car!
我偶尔还会在车里看到狗!
The first time this happened I stared in wonderment at his head hanging out the window, tongue lolling out.
第一次发生这种事时,我惊奇地盯着他探出窗外的头,舌头耷拉着。
He barked joyously when he spotted me, but I was too astounded to do anything but lift my nose and sniff in disbelief.
他看到我时,高兴地叫了起来,但我太惊讶了,什么也没做,只是抬起鼻子,不相信地嗅了嗅。
Cars and trucks were something else Mother evaded,
汽车和卡车是母亲逃避的另一种东西,
though I didn’t see how they could be dangerous if there were sometimes dogs inside them.
虽然我不明白,如果车里面有时有狗,那它怎么会是危险的。
A large, loud truck came around frequently and took away all the bags of food people left out for us,
一辆大卡车不停地驶来,把人们留给我们的食物袋装走,
and then meals would be scarce for a day or two.
然后,一两天内就没有饭吃了。
I didn’t like that truck, nor the greedy men who hopped off it to scoop up all the food for themselves,
我不喜欢那辆卡车,也不喜欢那些贪婪的人从卡车上跳下来为自己把所有的食物都铲走,
despite the fact that they and their truck smelled glorious.
尽管他们和他们的卡车很好闻。
There was less time for play, now that we were hunting.
既然我们需要打猎,玩耍的时间自然就少了。
Mother snarled when Hungry tried to lick her lips, hoping for a meal, and we all got the message.
Hungry想去舔一舔妈妈的嘴唇,希望能吃上一顿,但妈妈咆哮着,于是我们都明白了她的意思。
We went out often, hiding from sight, desperately searching for food.
我们经常出去,躲避视线,拼命寻找食物。
I felt tired and weak, now, and didn’t even try to challenge Fast
现在我感到又累又虚弱,甚至都不想挑战Fast,
when he stood with his head over my back, thrusting his chest at me.
他站在那里,头架在我背上,用胸膛抵着我。
Fine, let him be the boss.
好吧,就让他当回老大吧。
As far as I was concerned, my short legs were better suited for the low, slinking run our mother had taught us anyway.
对我而言,我的短腿更适合母亲教我们的伏低身子潜逃的动作。
If Fast felt he was making some sort of point by using his height to knock me over, he was fooling himself.
如果Fast觉得他利用自己的身高把我撞倒是在表明某种观点,那他是在愚弄自己。
Mother was the dog in charge.
妈妈才是这里管事的人。
There was barely room for all of us underneath the tree now, and Mother was gone for longer and longer periods of time.
现在树下的空间已经不够我们全部待在这里了,妈妈离开的时间也越来越长。
Something told me that one of these days she wouldn’t come back.
我总觉得有一天她不会回来了。
We would have to fend for ourselves, Fast always pushing me out of the way, trying to take my share.
我们不得不自己照顾自己,Fast总是把我推开,试图夺走我的那份。
Mother wouldn’t be there to look after me.
不会再有妈妈照顾我了。