I ran out to see for myself, and found myself disheartened
我跑出去看,沮丧地发现
when all that remained of the man’s presence was a lingering scent of smoke in the air.
那人只留下一股烟雾缭绕在空气中。
Over and over again the next few weeks, Mother reinforced the message we’d learned in that culvert:
在接下来的几个星期里,母亲一次又一次地强调我们从那条涵洞中学到的信息:
Avoid men at all costs. Fear them.
不惜一切代价远离人。要怕他们。
The next time Mother went to hunt, we were allowed to go with her.
下次妈妈去打猎时,我们得到了允许和她一起去。
Once we were away from the security of the Den, her behavior became timid and skittish, and we all emulated her actions.
一旦我们离开了安全的巢穴,她的行为就变得胆怯和敏感,我们都模仿着她的行动。
We steered clear of open spaces, slinking along next to bushes.
我们避开了空地,沿着灌木丛悄悄前进。
If we saw a person, Mother would freeze, her shoulders tense, ready to run.
如果我们看到人,妈妈会吓得僵住,她的肩膀会绷紧,准备逃跑。
At these times Fast’s patch of white fur seemed as obtrusive as a bark, but no one ever noticed us.
这时,Fast的那块白毛似乎就像树皮一样突兀,但没有人注意到我们。
Mother showed us how to tear into the filmy bags behind houses,
母亲教我们如何撕开屋后的薄膜袋,
quickly scattering inedible papers and revealing chunks of meat, crusts of bread, and bits of cheese,
快速扯开不能吃的纸,露出大块的肉、面包皮和奶酪,
which we chewed to the best of our ability.
并尽我们所能地狼吞虎咽。
The tastes were exotic and the smells were wonderful, but Mother’s anxiety affected all of us,
味道很奇特,气味也很好闻,但是妈妈的焦虑影响了我们所有人,
and we ate quickly, savoring nothing.
我们吃得很快,什么味道也没尝到。
Almost immediately Hungry brought up his meal,
Hungry很快就吐了出来,
which I thought was pretty funny until I, too, felt my insides gripped in a powerful spasm.
我觉得还挺有意思,没想到,我也感到五脏六腑强烈地痉挛起来。
It seemed to go down easier the second time.
第二次似乎比较顺利。
I’d always been aware of other dogs, though I’d never personally met any except those in my own family.
我一直留意着其他的狗,虽然除了我们家的狗以外,我从来没见过其他的狗。
Sometimes when we were out hunting they barked at us from behind fences,
有时我们出去打猎,它们会隔着篱笆朝我们吠叫,
most likely jealous that we were trotting around free while they were imprisoned.
很可能是嫉妒我们在他们被囚禁的时候能自由自在地到处跑。
Mother, of course, never let us approach any of the strangers, while Fast usually bristled a little,
当然,母亲从不让我们接近任何一个陌生人,不过Fast时常还会发怒,
somehow insulted that anybody would dare call out to us while he lifted his leg on their trees.
他在树上抬腿的时候,如果有人冲我们大喊,他甚至还觉得受到了屈辱。