“Here, boy,” one of them whispered. I didn’t know what it meant,
“过来,小家伙。”其中一个低声说。我不知道那是什么意思
but the call seemed as natural as the sound of the wind, as if I had been listening to men speak my whole life.
但那声音却像风声一样自然,仿佛我一生都在听人说话。
Both men had poles, I now saw, poles with ropes looped on the end.
我看见两个人都有杠,杠上有绳子。
They appeared threatening, and I felt Mother’s panic boil over.
他们似乎在威胁我,我感觉到了母亲极度的恐慌。
Her claws scrabbling, she bolted, her head down, aiming for the space between the legs of one of the men.
她的爪子乱抓着,低着头,瞄准了一个男人两腿之间的空隙。
The pole came down, there was a quick snap, and then my mother was twisting and jerking
杆子掉落下来,咔嚓一声,然后妈妈扭来扭去,
as the man hauled her out into the sunlight.
那人把她拖到了阳光下。
Sister and I backed up, cowering, while Fast growled, his fur bristling on the back of his neck.
姐姐和我退了回去,蜷缩着身子,而Fast咆哮着,它脖子后面的毛竖了起来。
Then it occurred to all three of us that while the way behind us was still blocked,
然后我们三个人都意识到,虽然我们后面的路仍然被挡住了,
the tunnel mouth in front of us was now clear.
但我们面前的隧道口现在畅通了。
We darted forward.
我们全力向前冲。
“Here they come!” the man behind us yelled.
“他们出来了!”我们身后的人喊道。
Once out in the creek bed, we realized we didn’t really know what to do next.
冲到河床上后,我们发现自己不知道该做什么了。
Sister and I stood behind Fast—he wanted to be the boss, so okay, let him deal with this.
我和姐姐站在Fast身后——他想当老大,可以,就交给他来处理吧。
There was no sign of Mother.
我们看不见妈妈在哪里。
The two men were on opposite banks, though, each wielding his pole.
不过,这两个人分别在河两岸,各自挥舞着杆子。
Fast dodged one but then was snagged by the other.
Fast躲避了一个,却被另一个杆子抓住了。
Sister took advantage of the melee to escape, her feet splashing in the water as she scampered away, but I stood rooted, staring up at the road.
姐姐趁乱逃跑,她的脚在水里溅着,她逃跑了,但我站在原地,盯着路。
A woman with long white hair stood there above us, her face wrinkled in kindness.
一个满头白发的女人站在我们的上方,她的脸仁慈地皱起了皱纹。
“Here, puppy, it’s okay. You’ll be all right. Here, puppy,” she said.
“喂,小狗,没事的。你会没事的。来,小狗,”她说。
I didn’t run; I didn’t move.
我没有跑;也没有移动。
I allowed the loop of rope to slip over my face and tighten on my neck.
我让那圈绳子滑过我的脸,勒住我的脖子。