The pole guided me up the bank, where the man seized me by the scruff of the neck.
这根杆子把我引到岸上,那人一把抓住我的后颈。
“He’s okay; he’s okay,” the woman crooned.
“他没事;他没事,”女人低声说道。
“Let him go.” “He’ll run off,” the man warned.
“放开他。”“他会跑的。”男人警告。
“Let him go.”
“放开他。”
I followed this bit of dialogue without comprehension, only understanding that somehow the woman was in charge,
我听了这段对话,却不理解,只知道那个女人在掌控着一切,
though she was older and smaller than either of the two men.
尽管她比这两个男人中的任何一个年纪都大,个子都小。
With a reluctant grunt, the man lifted the rope off my neck.
那人勉强哼了一声,把绳子从我脖子上拿了下来。
The woman offered her hands to me: rough, leathery palms coated with a flowery smell.
那个女人向我伸出手来:粗糙的、皮革般的手掌上有一股花香。
I sniffed them, then lowered my head.
我闻了闻,然后低下头。
A clear sense of caring and concern radiated off of her.
她身上流露出一种明显的关心和关怀。
When she ran her fingers along my fur I felt a shiver pass through me.
当她用手指抚摸我的皮毛时,我感到全身一阵战栗。
My tail whipped the air of its own accord,
我的尾巴不自觉地摆动着,
and when she astonished me by lifting me into the air I scrambled to kiss her face, delighting in her laughter.
当她把我举到空中,使我大吃一惊时,我迅速亲了她的脸,陶醉在她的笑声中。
The mood turned somber when one of the men approached, holding Hungry’s limp body.
当其中一个人抱着柔软的Hungry走近时,气氛变得阴沉起来。
The man showed it to the woman, who clucked mournfully.
男人把它拿给女人看,女人发出了悲伤的声音。
Then he took it to the truck, where Mother and Fast were in a metal cage, and held it up to their noses.
然后他把它带到卡车上,母亲和Fast被关在一个金属笼子里,他把Hungry举到他们的鼻子边。
The scent of death, recognizable to me as any memory, wafted off of Hungry in the dry, dusty air.
死亡的气息,在我记忆中依稀可辨,在干燥、尘土飞扬的空气中飘荡着Hungry的气息。
We all carefully smelled my dead brother, and I understood the men wanted us to know what had happened to Hungry.
我们都仔细地闻了闻我死去的哥哥的味道,我知道那些人想让我们知道Hungry发生了什么事。