"I hear that Hachi is going to live with us,"he said to Yasuo.
“我听说八公要和我们住在一起了,”他对Yasuo说。
"You know that taking care of a dog is a big responsibility."
“你知道照顾狗是一个很大的责任。”
"Yes, Otoosan."
“是的,爸爸。”
"Do you feel that you are ready to take on such a big responsibility?"
“你觉得你准备好承担这么大的责任了吗?”
"Yes, Otoosan,"Yasuo said again.
“是的,爸爸。”Yasuo又说了一遍。
"He is a young dog,"Mr. Talkahashi said, indicating the back of Hachi's head.
“他是一只年轻的狗。”说话的人指着八公的后脑勺说。
"He will live for many years, Yasuo.
“他会活很多年,Yasuo。
It will be your duty to take care of him for a long time.
你有责任好好照顾他。
Even on the days that you would prefer to do something else."
即使是在你想做其他事情的日子里。”
"I understand, Otoosan."
“我明白,爸爸。”
Mr. Takahashi squatted down and patted the dog on the head.
高桥先生蹲下来拍拍狗的头。
"Hello, Hachi,"he said softly.
“哈啰,八公,”他轻声说。
Then he turned to Yasuo."He is very beautiful."
然后他转向了Yasuo。“他很漂亮。”
"He is an Akita-ken,"Yasuo said.
“他是一只秋田犬,”Yasuo说。
"I have heard of the Akita,"said Yasuo's father.
“我听说过秋田犬,”Yasuo的父亲说。
"They are very brave and very smart. We will take him for a walk after we eat.
“他们非常勇敢,也非常聪明。我们吃完饭会带他去散步。
Now go inside and change out of your uniform, Yasuo.
现在进去换掉你的制服,Yasuo。
I will put on a kimono and then we will have supper."
我穿上和服,然后我们就吃晚饭。”
When the evening meal was ready, Yasuo and his father went into the tatami room.
晚饭准备好了,Yasuo和他的父亲走进了榻榻米房间。
They sat down on cushions in front of a low dining table next to a small alcove.
他们在一个小壁龛旁边的矮餐桌前的垫子上坐了下来。
In the alcove was a tall black lacquer vase holding a pair of purple irises
壁龛里有一个高高的黑漆花瓶,花瓶里有一对紫色的鸢尾,
that Yasuo's mother had taken great care to arrange in a pleasing manner.
这是Yasuo的母亲精心安排的。
Mrs. Takahashi brought in three bowls of clear soup, three bowls of rice,
高桥太太端来三碗清汤、三碗米饭,
and three plates of tempura, and then sat down with her family to eat.
和三盘天妇罗,然后和家人坐下来吃饭。