“In the square below,” said the Happy Prince,
“在下面的广场上,”快乐王子说,
“there stands a little match-girl. She has let her matches fall in the gutter, and they are all spoiled.
“站着一个卖火柴的小女孩。她的火柴掉到阴沟里去了,全给毁了。
Her father will beat her if she does not bring home some money, and she is crying.
如果她不带钱回家,她的父亲会打她,她哭了。
She has no shoes or stockings, and her little head is bare.
她没有鞋子和袜子,小脑袋也光着。
Pluck out my other eye, and give it to her, and her father will not beat her.”
你把我的另一只眼睛剜出来,给她,她父亲就不打她了。”
“I will stay with you one night longer,” said the Swallow,
“我愿意再和你呆一个晚上,”燕子说,
“but I cannot pluck out your eye. You would be quite blind then.”
“但是我不能剜掉你的眼睛。那你就全瞎了。”
“Swallow, Swallow, little Swallow,” said the Prince, “do as I command you.”
“燕子,燕子,小燕子,”王子说,“照我说的做。”
So he plucked out the Prince’s other eye, and darted down with it.
于是他拔掉了王子的另一只眼睛,带着它飞奔而下。
He swooped past the match-girl, and slipped the jewel into the palm of her hand.
他从卖火柴的姑娘身边飞过去,把宝石塞到她的手掌里。
“What a lovely bit of glass,” cried the little girl; and she ran home, laughing.
“多么可爱的一块玻璃!”小女孩叫道。她笑着跑回家。
Then the Swallow came back to the Prince.
然后,燕子回到了王子身边。
“You are blind now,” he said, “so I will stay with you always.”
“你现在瞎了,”他说,“所以我将永远和你在一起。”
“No, little Swallow,” said the poor Prince, “you must go away to Egypt.”
“不,小燕子,”可怜的王子说,“你必须去埃及。”
“I will stay with you always,” said the Swallow, and he slept at the Prince’s feet.
“我将永远和你在一起,”燕子说,于是他就睡在王子的脚边。