Old Behrman, with his red eyes plainly streaming, shouted his contempt and derision for such idiotic imaginings.
老贝尔门两只发红的眼睛显然在迎风流泪,他十分轻蔑地嗤笑这种傻呆的胡思乱想。
"Vass!" he cried. "Is dere people in de world mit der foolishness to die because leafs dey drop off from a confounded vine?
“什么,”他喊道,“世界上真会有人蠢到因为那些该死的长春藤叶子落掉就想死?
I haf not heard of such a thing. No, I will not bose as a model for your fool hermit-dunderhead.
我从来没有听说过这种怪事。不,我才不给你那隐居的矿工糊涂虫当模特儿呢。
Vy do you allow dot silly pusiness to come in der brain of her? Ach, dot poor leetle Miss Yohnsy."
你干吗让她胡思乱想?唉,可怜的琼西小姐。”
"She is very ill and weak," said Sue, "and the fever has left her mind morbid and full of strange fancies.
“她病得很厉害很虚弱,”苏说,“发高烧发得她神经昏乱,满脑子都是古怪想法。
Very well, Mr. Behrman, if you do not care to pose for me, you needn't.
好,贝尔门先生,你不愿意给我当模特儿,就拉倒,
But I think you are a horrid old - old flibbertigibbet."
我看你是个讨厌的老——老啰唆鬼。”
"You are just like a woman!" yelled Behrman.
“你简直太婆婆妈妈了!”贝尔门喊道,
"Who said I will not bose? Go on. I come mit you.
“谁说我不愿意当模特儿?走,我和你一块去。
For half an hour I haf peen trying to say dot I am ready to bose.
我不是讲了半天愿意给你当模特儿吗?
Gott! dis is not any blace in which one so goot as Miss Yohnsy shall lie sick.
老天爷,琼西小姐这么好的姑娘真不应该躺在这种地方生病。
Some day I vill baint a masterpiece, and ve shall all go away. Gott! yes."
总有一天我要画一幅杰作,我们就可以都搬出去了。一定的!”
Johnsy was sleeping when they went upstairs.
他们上楼以后,琼西正睡着觉。
Sue pulled the shade down to the window-sill, and motioned Behrman into the other room.
苏把窗帘拉下,一直遮住窗台,做手势叫贝尔门到隔壁屋子里去。
In there they peered out the window fearfully at the ivy vine.
他们在那里提心吊胆地瞅着窗外那棵长春藤。
Then they looked at each other for a moment without speaking.
后来他们默默无言,彼此对望了一会。
A persistent, cold rain was falling, mingled with snow.
寒冷的雨夹杂着雪花不停地下着。
Behrman, in his old blue shirt, took his seat as the hermit miner on an upturned kettle for a rock.
贝尔门穿着他的旧的蓝衬衣,坐在一把翻过来充当岩石的铁壶上,扮作隐居的矿工。