The day wore away, and even through the twilight they could see the lone ivy leaf clinging to its stem against the wall.
白天总算过去了,甚至在暮色中她们还能看见那片孤零零的藤叶仍紧紧地依附在靠墙的枝上。
And then, with the coming of the night the north wind was again loosed, while the rain still beat against the windows and pattered down from the low Dutch eaves.
夜来了,北风又刮起来了,雨点还在敲打着窗户,从低矮的荷兰式屋檐上啪嗒啪嗒地落下来。
When it was light enough Johnsy, the merciless, commanded that the shade be raised.
天刚蒙蒙亮,琼西就毫不留情地吩咐拉起窗帘来。
The ivy leaf was still there.
那片藤叶仍然在那里。
Johnsy lay for a long time looking at it.
琼西躺着对它看了许久。
And then she called to Sue, who was stirring her chicken broth over the gas stove.
然后她招呼正在煤气炉上给她煮鸡汤的苏。
"I've been a bad girl, Sudie," said Johnsy.
“我是一个坏女孩子,苏娣,”琼西说,
"Something has made that last leaf stay there to show me how wicked I was.
“天意让那片最后的藤叶留在那里,证明我是多么坏。
It is a sin to want to die.
想死是有罪过的。
You may bring a me a little broth now, and some milk with a little port in it,
你现在就给我拿点鸡汤来,再拿点掺葡萄酒的牛奶来,
and - no; bring me a hand-mirror first, and then pack some pillows about me, and I will sit up and watch you cook."
再——不,先给我一面小镜子,再把枕头垫垫高,我要坐起来看你做饭。”
And hour later she said: "Sudie, some day I hope to paint the Bay of Naples."
过了一个钟头,她说道:“苏娣,我希望有一天能去画那不勒斯的海湾。”