you've been nominated to offset with good luck the lines of trouble leading to the nigger man and the blonde lady with her feet crossed in the boat,
您就是那位给我带来好运的命运之人,替换掉那些纹路引来的灾难,比如那个烫了我的老黑和那位在船上交叉双脚的金发女郎,
besides the financial loss of a dollar sixty-five, all so far fulfilled according to Hoyle."
还有我损失的一块六毛五!到目前为止,一切都按照霍伊尔说的算完了。
The man stopped smoking and looked at me.
男人吸烟的动作顿住,转头看向我。
"Have you any amendments," he asks, "to offer to that statement, or are you one too?
“您对于他这番话,”他冲我说,“就没有要纠正的地方?还是说您跟他是一路的?
I thought by the looks of you you might have him in charge."
看您的样子,我还以为您是出来监护他这个病人的呢。”
"None," says I to him, "except that as one horseshoe resembles another
“没有,”我答道,“我还得补充,
so are you the picture of good luck as predicted by the hand of me friend.
您的幸运形象跟我朋友掌纹预言中的一样,
If not, then the lines of Danny's hand may have been crossed, I don't know."
否则的话,丹尼尔的掌纹很有可能是被划乱了,这个我不确定。”
"There's two of you," says the man with the nose, looking up and down for the sight of a policeman. "I've enjoyed your company immense. Good-night."
“好吧,看来你俩都病得不轻。”鼻子弯曲的男人边说边抬起眼来四下找警察,“跟两位聊得很开心。晚安了。”
With that he shoves his segar in his mouth and moves across the street, stepping fast.
说罢,他将雪茄塞回嘴里,动身向对街走去,步履匆匆。
But Tobin sticks close to one side of him and me at the other.
可托宾和我一人一边紧紧跟上了他。
"What!" says he, stopping on the opposite sidewalk and pushing back his hat;
“干吗?”他在对面人行道停下脚步,把帽子往后推了推,
"do you follow me? I tell you," he says, very loud, "I'm proud to have met you.
“你们要跟着我?我说,”他大声道,“认识你们很荣幸,
But it is my desire to be rid of you. I am off to me home."
但我不想再奉陪二位了。我要回家了。”
"Do," says Tobin, leaning against his sleeve. "Do be off to your home.
“您请啊,”托宾倚着人家的胳膊,“您尽管回家。
And I will sit at the door of it till you come out in the morning.
我就在您家门口坐着,等您明天一早出来。
For the dependence is upon you to obviate the curse of the nigger man and the blonde lady and the financial loss of the one-sixty-five."
因为只有您才能打破那个老黑和金发女还有我损失一块六毛五的诅咒啊!”
"It is a strange hallucination," says the man, turning to me as a more reasonable lunatic.
“这幻觉也太奇怪了吧,”男人说着转向我,显然认为我是个相较之下还算理智的疯子,
"Hadn't you better get him home?"
“你该送他回去了吧?”
"Listen, man," says I to him.
“我说兄弟,”我严肃道,
"Daniel Tobin is as sensible as he ever was.
“丹尼尔·托宾没有疯,他清醒得很。
Maybe he is a bit deranged on account of having drink enough to disturb but not enough to settle his wits,
也许他的确有些失常,因为之前喝得有点儿多,神志有些错乱还没完全恢复,
but he is no more than following out the legitimate path of his superstitions and predicaments, which I will explain to you."
但他只不过是想把这些发生在自己身上的迷信和灾祸彻底查清楚而已。我这就解释给你听。”