There was a fat woman inside in a red jumper with pothooks and beasties embroidered upon it.
一个胖女人坐在里面,身披红袍,袍子上编织着各种各样的挂钩和鬼怪图样。
Tobin gives her ten cents and extends one of his hands.
托宾给了她一毛钱,伸出了一只手掌。
She lifts Tobin's hand, which is own brother to the hoof of a drayhorse,
她拎起托宾跟马蹄子一样的大手掌,
and examines it to see whether it is a stone in the frog or a cast shoe he has come for.
细细研究起来,看看他要问的是石头里的青蛙还是脱落的马蹄铁。
"Man," says this Madame Zozo, "the line of your fate shows--"
“小伙子,”祖夫人开口道,“你的命运之线显示……”
"This not me foot at all," says Tobin, interrupting.
“这可不是我的脚啊,”托宾打断她,
"Sure, 'tis no beauty, but he hold the palm of me hand."
“当然它是不大好看的,可你拿的是我的手啊。”
"The line shows," says the Madame, "that you've not arrived at your time of life without bad luck.
“这掌纹显示着,”夫人继续道,“你的命运还没有行进到霉运都走光了的时候,
And there's more to come. The mound of Venus--or is that a stone bruise?--shows that you've been in love.
还会有不幸接踵而来。看这块代表爱神维纳斯的小丘——还是说被石头砸肿了?——代表着你陷入了爱情之中。
There's been trouble in your life on account of your sweetheart."
你的生命里出现了麻烦,是你心爱的人带来的麻烦。”
"It is Katie Mahorner she has references with," whispers Tobin to me in a loud voice to one side.
“她说的是凯蒂·玛红娜呢。”托宾扭过脸来,冲着我声音不小地说了句自以为的悄悄话。
"I see," says the palmist, "a great deal of sorrow and tribulation with one whom you cannot forget.
“我看见,”大师继续说,“你忘不掉一个人,她给你带来了巨大的悲伤和苦难。
I see the lines of designation point to the letter K and the letter M in her name."
我看见名称之线指示,她名字里有‘K’和‘M’这两个字母。”
"Whist!" says Tobin to me, "do you hear that?"
“我的天!”托宾对我说,“你听到没?”
"Look out," goes on the palmist, "for a dark man and a light woman;
“小心了!”占卜师提高嗓门继续道,“要当心一个深色皮肤的男人和浅色皮肤的女人
for they'll both bring you trouble. you'll make a voyage upon the water very soon, and have a financial loss.
——他们都会给你带来麻烦。你很快便将进行一次水上航行,将有破财之灾。
I see one line that brings good luck.
不过我看见一条带给你好运的线,
There's a man coming into your life who will fetch you good fortune.
会有一个男人出现在你生命中,让你福星高照。
You'll know him when you see him by his crooked nose."
等你见到他,看到了他弯曲的鼻子就能认出他来了。”