The front door bell rang. The landlady answered it.
前门的门铃响了,女房东应声去开门。
Sarah left Gerard and Denys treed by a bear and listened.
莎拉搁下被熊追得逃到了树上的杰拉德和黛妮思,倾听着。
Oh, yous; you would, just as she did!
噢,是的;要是你,你也会这么做的!
And then a strong voice was heard in the hall below,
接着,从楼下的大厅里传来一个清晰洪亮的声音。
and Sarah jumped for her door, leaving the book on the floor and the first round easily the bear's. you have guessed it.
莎拉跳起来,把书丢在地板上,跑到门口,也顾不得跟熊做第一回合的争斗了。你可能已经猜到了。
She reached the top of the stairs just as her farmer came up, three at a jump, and reaped and garnered her, with nothing left for the gleaners.
在莎拉来到楼梯口的时候,她的农夫爱人正三步并作两步地跑到了楼上,紧紧地把她整个人儿都搂抱在了怀里,紧得连拾穗人也休想捡到任何东西。
"Why haven't you written--oh, why?" cried Sarah.
“你为什么不写信--哦,为什么?”莎拉大声地问。
"New York is a pretty large town," said Walter Franklin.
“纽约是个很大的城市,”沃特·富兰克林说,
"I came in a week ago to your old address.
“我在一个星期前,来到你以前住过的地方。
I found that you went away on a Thursday.
我得知你是在星期四搬走的。
That consoled some; it eliminated the possible Friday bad luck.
这让我感到了些许的安慰,因为这避免了星期五可能会带来的噩运。
But it didn't prevent my hunting for you with police and otherwise ever since!
不过,我还是通过警察和其他各种的方式来寻找你。”
"I wrote!" said Sarah, vehemently.
“我给你写过信的!”莎拉激动地说。
"Never got it!"
“我从来也没有收到过!”
"Then how did you find me?"
“那你是怎么找到我的呢?”
The young farmer smiled a springtime smile.
年轻农夫的脸上浮现出春天般灿烂的笑容。
"I dropped into that Home Restaurant next door this evening," said he.
“今天傍晚,我碰巧走进到隔壁的家园饭店,”他说。
"I don't care who knows it; I like a dish of some kind of greens at this time of the year.
“我并不在乎这家饭店有没有什么名气。在这一时节,我通常喜欢吃一些绿叶菜。