The girl, after leaving her entertainer,
那位姑娘与请她吃饭的人分手后,
sped swiftly cross-town until she arrived at a handsome and sedate mansion two squares to the east,
迅疾地穿过市区,来到一座漂亮而宁静的邸宅前面。那座邸宅离东区有两个广场那么远,
facing on that avenue which is the highway of Mammon and the auxiliary gods.
面临那条财神和其余副神时常出没的马路。
Here she entered hurriedly and ascended to a room where a handsome young lady in an elaborate house dress was looking anxiously out the window.
她急急忙忙地进去,跑到楼上的一间屋子里,有一个漂亮的年轻女士穿着精致的居家服正焦急地望着窗外。
"Oh, you madcap!" exclaimed the elder girl, when the other entered.
“唷,你这个疯丫头,”她进去时,那个年纪比她稍大的女人嚷道。
"When will you quit frightening us this way?
“你老是这样叫我们担惊受吓,什么时候才能改呀?
It is two hours since you ran out in that rag of an old dress and Marie's hat. Mamma has been so alarmed.
你穿了那身又破又旧的衣服,戴了玛丽的帽子,到处乱跑,已经有两个小时啦。妈妈吓坏了。
She sent Louis in the auto to try to find you. you are a bad, thoughtless Puss."
她吩咐路易斯坐了汽车去找你。你真是个没有头脑的坏姑娘。”
The elder girl touched a button, and a maid came in a moment.
那个年纪比较大的姑娘按下电钮,立刻来了一个使女。
"Marie, tell mamma that Miss Marian has returned."
“玛丽,告诉太太,玛丽安小姐已经回来了。”
"Don't scold, sister. I only ran down to Mme. Theo's to tell her to use mauve insertion instead of pink.
“别责怪我了,姐姐。我只不过到西奥夫人的店里去了一次,通知她不要粉红色的嵌饰,要用紫红色的。
My costume and Marie's hat were just what I needed. Every one thought I was a shop girl, I am sure."
我那套旧衣服和玛丽的帽子很合式。我相信谁都以为我是个女店员呢。”
"Dinner is over, dear; you stayed so late."
“亲爱的,晚饭已经吃完了,你在外面待得太久啦。”
"I know. I slipped on the sidewalk and turned my ankle. I could not walk,
“我知道,我在人行道上滑了一下,扭伤了脚踝。我不能走了,
so I hobbled into a restaurant and sat there until I was better. That is why I was so long."
便到一家饭馆坐坐,等到好一些才回来,所以耽搁了那么久。”