The two girls sat in the window seat, looking out at the lights and the stream of hurrying vehicles in the avenue.
两个姑娘坐在窗口前,望着外面灯火辉煌和车水马龙的大街。
The younger one cuddled down with her head in her sister's lap.
年轻的那个把头靠在她姐姐的膝上。
"We will have to marry some day," she said dreamily--" both of us.
“我们两人总有一天都得结婚,”她浮想联翩地说,
We have so much money that we will not be allowed to disappoint the public.
“我们这样有钱,社会上的人都在看着我们,我们可不能让大家失望。
Do you want me to tell you the kind of a man I could love, Sis?"
要我告诉你,我会爱上哪一种人吗,姐姐?”
"Go on, you scatterbrain," smiled the other.
“说吧,你这傻丫头。”另一个微笑着说。
"I could love a man with dark and kind blue eyes, who is gentle and respectful to poor girls,
“我会爱上一个有着和善的深蓝色眼睛的人,他体贴和尊重穷苦的姑娘,
who is handsome and good and does not try to flirt.
人又漂亮,又和气,又不卖弄风情。
But I could love him only if he had an ambition, an object, some work to do in the world.
但他活在世上得有野心,有目标,有工作可做,我才能爱他。
I would not care how poor he was if I could help him build his way up.
只要我能帮助他建立一个事业,我不在乎他多么穷。
But, sister dear, the kind of man we always meet—
可是,亲爱的妹妹,我们老是碰到那种人——
the man who lives an idle life between society and his clubs--I could not love a man like that,
那种在交际界和俱乐部里庸庸碌碌地混日子的人——我可不能爱上那种人,
even if his eyes were blue and he were ever so kind to poor girls whom he met in the street."
即使他的眼睛是蓝的,即使他对在街上碰到的穷姑娘是那么和气。”