The Pureborn see no farther than the walls of Qarth, and Xaro..."
王族们的眼光越不过魁尔斯的城墙,而札罗……”
"He asked me to marry him again."
“他又向我求婚。”
"Yes, and I know why."
“是的,我知道他打什么主意。”
When the knight frowned,his heavy black brows joined together above his deep-set eyes.
骑士皱眉时,两条浓密的黑眉在深陷的眼睛上方纠结。
"He dreams of me, day and night." She laughed.
“他想着我的美,夜夜无眠。”她大笑起来。
"Forgive me, my queen, but it is your dragons he dreams of."
“恕我无礼,女王陛下,他想的是你的龙。”
"Xaro assures me that in Qarth, man and woman each retain their own property after they are wed.
“札罗向我保证,在魁尔斯,夫妻婚后可以保有各自的财产。
The dragons are mine."
龙是我的。”
She smiled as Drogon came hopping and flapping across the marble floor to crawl up on the cushion beside her.
她微笑道,卓耿在大理石地板上一边跳一边拍打翅膀跑过来,想爬上她身边的垫子。
"He tells it true as far as it goes, but there's one thing he failed to mention.
“他说的没错,只是有一点故意隐瞒。
The Qartheen have a curious wedding custom, my queen.
魁尔斯人有个奇特的婚俗,我的女王,
On the day of their union, a wife may ask a token of love from her husband.
在婚礼当天,妻子可以向丈夫要求一件爱的信物,
Whatsoever she desires of his worldly goods, he must grant.
不管她要求世间的何物,他都必须答应。
And he may ask the same of her.
而他也有权对她提出同样的要求,
One thing only may be asked, but whatever is named may not be denied."
虽然只能要一件东西,但不管是什么都不能拒绝。”
"One thing," she repeated.
“一件东西,”她重复,
"And it may not be denied?"
“不能拒绝?”
"With one dragon, Xaro Xhoan Daxos would rule this city, but one ship will further our cause but little."
“只要一条龙,札罗·赞旺·达梭斯就能统治这座城市,但一艘船给我们的帮助却相当有限。”
Dany nibbled at an onion and reflected ruefully on the faithlessness of men.
丹妮一点一点地咬着洋葱,悲哀地反思男人的无信。
"We passed through the bazaar on our way back from the Hall of a Thousand Thrones,"
“我们从千座之殿回来时,经过集市,”
she told Ser Jorah.
她告诉乔拉爵士,
"Quaithe was there."
“我遇到了魁晰。”
She told him of the firemage and the fiery ladder, and what the woman in the red mask had told her.
她告诉他关于火法师和火梯的事,还有戴红漆面具的女人说的话。
"I would be glad to leave this city, if truth be told," the knight said when she was done.
“我打心眼里盼望离开这座城市,”待她说完,骑士道,
"But not for Asshai."
“但不是去亚夏。”
"Where, then?"
“那去哪里?”
"East," he said.
“东方,”他说。
"I am half a world away from my kingdom even here.
“此地离我的王国已有半个世界那么远。
If I go any farther east I may never find my way home to Westeros."
如果再往东,我也许永远也回不了维斯特洛。”
"If you go west, you risk your life."
“如果您往西,就是拿自己的生命去冒险。”
"House Targaryen has friends in the Free Cities," she reminded him.
“坦格利安家族在自由贸易城邦有朋友,”她提醒他,
"Truer friends than Xaro or the Pureborn."
“比札罗和王族更忠实的朋友。”
"If you mean Illyrio Mopatis, I wonder.
“如果您指的伊利里欧·摩帕提斯,我相当怀疑。
For sufficient gold, Illyrio would sell you as quickly as he would a slave."
只要能得到足够的利益,伊利里欧会毫不犹豫地把你卖掉,就跟卖奴隶一样。”
"My brother and I were guests in Illyrio's manse for half a year.
“我和哥哥在伊利里欧的宅子里做了半年的宾客。
If he meant to sell us, he could have done it then."
如果他有心出卖我们,早就动手了。”
"He did sell you," Ser Jorah said. "To Khal Drogo."
“他的确出卖了你们,”乔拉爵士说,“他把您卖给了卓戈卡奥。”
Dany flushed. He had the truth of it, but she did not like the sharpness with which he put it.
丹妮涨红了脸。他说的是事实,但她受不了他尖刻的直白。
"Illyrio protected us from the Usurper's knives, and he believed in my brother's cause."
“伊利里欧保护我们免遭篡夺者的伤害,他相信哥哥的理想。”
"Illyrio believes in no cause but Illyrio.
“伊利里欧除了伊利里欧什么都不信。
Gluttons are greedy men as a rule, and magisters are devious.
贪食必然贪婪,这是一条定律,而掌权者又总是生性狡猾。
Illyrio Mopatis is both.
伊利里欧·莫帕提斯两样都占了。