手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > 致2020毕业生 > 正文

米歇尔·奥巴马寄语2020毕业生的演讲(3)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Melody   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

So the question is, how will we respond?

所以问题是,我们将如何应对?

Like I said before, I don't have any easy answers for you.

就像我之前说的,我没有简单的答案。

But I do have some lessons I wanna share

但我确实有一些教训想和大家分享,

about how to move forward in these tumultuous times.

关于如何在这个动荡的时代前进。

The first is this.

首先是这个。

Life will always be uncertain.

生活总是不确定的。

It is a lesson that most of us get the chance to learn over the course of years and years, even decades,

这是一个我们大多数人经过多年甚至几十年才有机会学到的教训,

but one that you're learning right now.

但你现在就学到了。

This is a time in your life when it feels like everything is turned upside down.

某一刻,你觉得自己的生活天翻地覆。

And perhaps you're wishing that things could just go back to the way they were.

也许你希望事情能回到原来的样子。

Look, I've been there many times in my life.

听着,我这辈子有很多次这样的经历。

I felt it most profoundly when my father and my best friend died within a year of each other.

我曾经有过感受非常深刻的时候,那时我的父亲和我最好的朋友在一年内去世。

I was in my late 20s.

我那时才20多岁。

And it felt like my whole world was collapsing in on itself.

感觉我的整个世界都崩溃了。

I would have given anything, anything to bring them back.

我会不惜一切代价把他们带回来。

But that experience gave me a kind of clarity.

但那次经历给了我一种清晰的感觉。

With everything in pieces around me,

我周围的一切都是支离破碎的,

I had to forge a new path.

我不得不开辟一条新的道路。

A path, fortunately, more focused on meaning and service.

幸运的是,这条路更注重意义和服务。

So, graduates,

所以,毕业生们,

I hope that what you're going through right now can be your wake-up call.

我希望你现在所经历的一切能给你敲响警钟。

That it pushes you, not just to think about what kind of career you want to build,

你的经历会推着你向前,不要仅仅是思考你想从事什么样的职业,

but what kind of person do you want to be?

而是要想想,你希望成为什么样的人?

And here's the thing, you have the opportunity

还有一件事,你有机会

021227.jpg

to learn these valuable lessons faster than the generations before you.

比你之前的几代人更快地学到这些宝贵的经验教训。

And you can learn them together,

你们可以一起学习,

as a cohort of young people ready to take on the world,

作为一群准备好挑战世界的年轻人,

no matter how tumultuous it may be.

不管现实多么颠沛流离。

And that leads me to my second lesson.

这就引出了我的第二节课。

In an uncertain world,

在一个不确定的世界里,

time-tested values like honesty and integrity, empathy and compassion, that's the only real currency in life.

诚实正直、同情心和同情心等久经考验的价值观才是生活中唯一真正的货币。

Treating people right will never, ever fail you.

善待他人永远不会让你失望。

Now, I'm not naive.

现在,我不再天真。

I know that you can climb a long way up the ladder

我知道你可能会在阶梯上爬很长一段路,

selling falsehoods and blaming others for your own shortcomings,

兜售谎言,把自己的缺点归咎于他人,

shunning those with less privilege and advantage.

避开那些特权和优势较小的人。

But that is a heavy way to live.

但这是一种沉重的生活方式。

It deadens your spirit and it hardens your heart.

它会使你的精神消沉,你的心也会变硬。

May seem like a winning strategy in the short run,

短期内这似乎是一个成功的策略,

but trust me, graduates, that kind of life catches up to you.

但相信我,毕业生们,那种生活会困扰着你们。

You rob yourself of the things that matter most,

你丢掉了自己最重要的东西,

deep and loving connections with others,

放弃了与他人建立深厚而充满爱的联系,

honest work that leads to lasting contributions to your community,

放弃了能给你的社区带来持久贡献的诚实工作,

the vibrancy that comes from a diversity of ideas and perspectives.

放弃了头脑风暴时的活力。

The chance to leave this world a little better than you found it.

这个世界远远要比你想象得更美好。

Don't deprive yourselves of all that.

别把这些都剥夺了。

There is no substitute for it.

这是无法替代的。

Instead, make a decision

相反,做一个决定,

to use your privilege and your voice

用你的特权和你的声音

for the things that really matter.

处理真正重要的事情。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
empathy ['empəθi]

想一想再看

n. 移情作用,共鸣,执着投入

联想记忆
diversity [dai'və:siti]

想一想再看

n. 差异,多样性,分集

联想记忆
integrity [in'tegriti]

想一想再看

n. 诚实,正直,完整,完善

 
decision [di'siʒən]

想一想再看

n. 决定,决策

 
substitute ['sʌbstitju:t]

想一想再看

n. 代替者,代用品
vt. 用 ... 代替

联想记忆
privilege ['privilidʒ]

想一想再看

n. 特权,特别恩典,基本人权,荣幸
vt.

联想记忆
naive [nɑ'i:v]

想一想再看

adj. 天真的,幼稚的

联想记忆
forge [fɔ:dʒ]

想一想再看

vt. 伪造,锻造
vi. 伪造,在铁匠铺工作

 
deprive [di'praiv]

想一想再看

vt. 剥夺,拒绝,免职

联想记忆
ladder ['lædə]

想一想再看

n. 梯子,阶梯,梯状物
n. (袜子)

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。