手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > 致2020毕业生 > 正文

米歇尔·奥巴马寄语2020毕业生的演讲(5)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Melody   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

And, look, our democracy isn't perfect.

听着,我们的民主并不完美。

But I have travelled the world

但我曾经周游世界,

and seen the governments and people in so many other countries.

我看到了许多其他国家的政府和人民。

And I can tell you that our democracy is sturdy,

我可以告诉你,我们的民主是牢固的,

and yes, it still works.

是的,它仍然有效。

But it doesn't work if you silence yourselves.

但如果你保持沉默,民主也就失去了效力。

It does not work if you disengage from the process.

如果你脱离这一过程,这是行不通的,

And we're seeing the consequences of that right now.

我们现在正在看到这样做的后果。

But if you hold strong with the same faith

但是,如果你以同样的信念坚定地坚持下去,

that carried all those giants before you toward real, measurable progress,

把你面前的那些巨大的信念带向真正的、可衡量的过程,

021229.jpg

you will change the course of history.

你将改变历史的进程。

So what does that mean for your time?

那对你的时间来说意味着什么?

It starts where change always starts.

它从改变总是开始的地方开始。

In your own home.

在你自己的家里。

In your own social circles.

在你自己的社交圈里。

In your own neighborhoods.

在你自己的社区里。

At your own dinner tables.

在你自己的餐桌上。

Sometimes it's easier to stand with strangers at a protest

有时候,在抗议中与陌生人站在一起

than it is to challenge someone in your own backyard.

比在自家后院挑战别人更容易。

So, if you hear people expressing bigoted views

所以,如果你听到有人表达偏执的观点,

or talking down to "those people,"

或者低声地对“那些人”说话,

it is up to you to call them out.

那就由你来召唤它们了。

Because we won't solve anything if we're only willing to do what's easiest.

因为如果我们只愿意做最简单的事情,我们就不会解决任何问题。

We've got to make hard choices and sacrifices in our own lives.

我们必须在自己的生活中做出艰难的选择和牺牲。

So if you're spending a lot of time just hashtagging and posting right now--

所以,如果你现在花了很多时间在推文话题和发布上——

That's useful, especially during a pandemic,

这是很有用的,尤其是在大流行期间,

but it's only a beginning.

但这只是一个开始。

Go further.

还需要走得更远。

Send all your friends a link to register to vote.

给你所有的朋友发送一个注册投票的链接。

Text everybody you know to join you in exercising their constitutional right to protest.

给你认识的每个人发短信,让他们和你一起行使宪法规定的抗议权利。

Ask yourself, "Do you know where your polling place is?"

问问自己,“你知道投票站在哪里吗?”

"Do you know when your primary elections are held?"

“你知道初选什么时候举行吗?”

"Do you know how to request a mail-in ballot?"

“你知道如何申请邮寄选票吗?”

"Who are the incumbents and the candidates at every level of government?"

“谁是各级政府的现任者和候选人?”

Not just president, but state representative,

不仅要了解总统,还要了解州代表,

city council, prosecutor, sheriff.

市议会,检察官,警长。

And don't just ask yourselves these questions.

不要只问自己这些问题。

Ask your friends, your family.

问问你的朋友,你的家人。

Ask everyone you see in your neighborhood.

问问你在邻居家看到的每个人。

And while we're reaching out,

在我们进行接触的同时,

please let's give everyone who's working toward progress,space to be themselves.

请让我们给每一个为进步而努力的人一个做自己的空间。

Everybody's got to vote when the time comes.

到时候每个人都得投票。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
representative [repri'zentətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 代表性的,代议制的,典型的
n. 代

 
request [ri'kwest]

想一想再看

n. 要求,请求
vt. 请求,要求

联想记忆
willing ['wiliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 愿意的,心甘情愿的

 
protest [prə'test]

想一想再看

n. 抗议,反对,声明
v. 抗议,反对,申明

联想记忆
silence ['sailəns]

想一想再看

n. 沉默,寂静
vt. 使安静,使沉默

 
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 
pandemic [pæn'demik]

想一想再看

adj. 全国流行的 n. (全国或全世界范围流行的)疾

联想记忆
sturdy ['stə:di]

想一想再看

adj. 强健的,健全的

联想记忆
disengage [,disin'ɡeidʒ]

想一想再看

vt. 使脱离;解开;解除 vi. 脱出;松开

 
challenge ['tʃælindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 挑战
v. 向 ... 挑战

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。