The Platinum Rule is taking the Golden Rule and switching it around.
铂金法则就是取自黄金法则再对其进行小小的修饰
And what it says is, do not do unto yourself what you would not do unto others.
它说的是:人所不欲勿施于己
Or rather "do unto yourself what you do unto others."
或者说“人所欲方施于己”
Now if a good friend of you, someone you really care about
如果你的一个好朋友 你非常在乎的一个人
or a family member fails and doesn't do well,
或者家庭成员失败了 没做好
what you'll do with that person? Do you reject that person?
你会怎样对待这个人 你会排斥这个人吗
Oh you just got a B on this exam. Or "you didn't win this competition."
你考试只得了个B 或者“你竟然没赢得比赛”
Is that how you treat them? Or do you embrace them?
你会这样对待他们吗 还是你会拥抱他们
And do you love them any less for it? Of course not.
你们会因此少爱他们一点吗 当然不会
Then why do we apply these unrealistic and non-compassionate standards to ourselves?
那么为什么我们要将这些不现实的 毫无共鸣的标准强加给我们自己呢
Now the Dalai Lama, when he was first introduced to a lot of Western culture,
达赖喇嘛 当他刚开始大量接触西方文化时
was baffled by one very particular thing: by our usage of a word, compassion.
被一样东西困扰了 就是我们用的一个词 同情
The word compassion in Tibetan is "tsewe", in English spelled "t-s-e-w-e".
同情这个词在藏语中叫“tsewe” 拼为"t-s-e-w-e"
The word in Tibetan means compassion for others as well as for self.
这个词在藏语中的意思 既是同情他人 也是同情自己
And he was really taking back by the notion that in English when we talk about,
所以他完全被英语中的概念搞糊涂了
or in West in general-not just in English-when we talk about compassion,
或者说在大多数西方文化 不仅是英语文化中 当我们说到同情时
we talk about compassion for others. And he said, "how can you have compassion for others
我们是指对别人的同情 他说“你们对自己没有同情
when you don't have compassion for yourself?" The foundation is the self.
又怎么能对别人有同情呢” 自我是基础
The Platinum Rule is about having compassion for ourselves as well.
铂金法则就是说对我们自己也要有同情