The Truth about Relativity. Why Everything Is Relative - Even When It Shouldn't Be.
关于相关性的真理,为什么一切事物都是互相关联的——即使它们不应该有关联。
So imagine you're walking around the store looking at things, and you see a bread maker.
假设你逛商店看到了一个面包机。
There's only one bread maker, and it costs $99. And You look at it and then move on to other things.
只有一种面包机,标价99美元。你看了一下就去看别的东西了。
This was a huge problem for a bread maker company.
这是面包机公司的一大问题。
People weren't buying, so they decided to do something clever.
人们不会去买,所以他们决定做些聪明的改变。
They came out with another more expensive bread maker, so that they could start selling the less expensive one.
他们陈列出另一款更贵的面包机,所以就开始销售更便宜的那一款了。
So how did that work? Well, now you walked around the store, came across bread makers,
那是如何凑效的呢?现在你走进商店看到面包机,
and you saw one for $99 and another one for $199.
一个99美元另一个199美元。
And all of a sudden, there was something to compare it to,
突然之间,有东西做对比了,
the $99 bread maker became much more attractive, and people started to buy.
99美元的面包机变得更有吸引力,人们就开始购买了。
This is the power of relativity. We have no idea about how much things should cost.
这就是相关性的力量。我们根本不知道物品值多少钱。
Should a bread maker cost $49, $99, $199? I mean who knows?!
一个面包机应该是49美元,99美元,还是199美元?谁知道呢?
Wine companies, along with restaurants, and many other establishments know this really well.
葡萄酒公司,餐厅,还有一些其他机构才会特别了解行情。
Most people have no idea about wine.
大多数人对葡萄酒都不够了解。
If you're like most people, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference between a $10 wine and a $35 wine in a blind test.
如果你和多数人一样,那么你就不能够盲测10美元和35美元葡萄酒的区别。
So because of this, relativity is one of the most powerful tools.
正因为如此,相关性才是最有力的工具之一。
If you're the buyer, do you want to buy the wine that costs $10 or $35?
如果你是买家,你想买10美元的还是35美元的葡萄酒?
You know you won't be able to tell the difference if you're like most people,
如果你和大多数人一样,那么你就知道你无法分辨出它们的不同,
but hey, look, there's also one for $70, so I'm gonna go ahead and grab the $35 wine.
但是嘿,瞧,还有售价70美元的,那么我就打算买35美元的了。
That is literally how most people make the decision on what to buy.
大多数人在买东西上都是这么做出决定的。
And this has huge implications if you're selling as well.
如果你也做销售的话,这其中意义重大。
Let's say I wanted to sell you an educational product I made for $49.
比如我想卖给你我做的一个售价49美元的教育产品。
Now who knows what a product like that should cost? I mean seriously...
谁知道像那样的产品值多少钱呢?我很认真的…
But what if I put it in perspective for you?
但是如果我从你的角度来看会怎样呢?
What if I tell you... If you live in North America,
我告诉你…如果你住在北美,
that translates to going out and eating twice at a mediocre restaurant.
49美元可以到普通餐厅吃两次饭。
Do you think it's worth it to give up eating out those two times,
你认为放弃两次饭,
so you can buy a product that really has the potential to make your life a lot better?
就可以买到一个大有潜力改善生活的产品是值得的吗?
And I could actually do this really well, and I don't even have to lie to you about anything either,
我可以做的很好,甚至不用欺骗你,
I can be super honest about it.
我非常有诚意。
But the difference is that I've put it in perspective for you now, and you're much more likely to buy.
区别就在于,我从你的角度解释了一下,你也更有可能购买了。
The Cost of Zero Cost. Why We Often Pay Too Much When We Pay Nothing.
零花费的成本。当我们不用破费的时候为什么花的还更多呢。
Alright, let's be honest... How much pleasure do you derive from Amazon's Free! shipping?
实话实说…你从亚马逊的免费配送中获得了多少乐趣?
Me personally, I absolutely love it. I love when something is shipped to me for free.
我个人来说,我很喜欢它。我很喜欢商品免费给我配送。
If you're final came out to $62 and you had to pay $6 for shipping,
如果最后算出62美元外加6美元配送费,
and if your final came out to $68 and shipping was Free!,
或是最后68美元免配送费,
most people are going to be much happier, or what economists call deriving more utility, with the second purchase.
多数采取第二种购买方式的人都会更开心,经济学家称之为实用性快乐。
Now that's crazy but there's something about Free!, that we're just wired to absolutely love.
不可思议,但就是有免费配送,而且我们绝对喜欢。
Perhaps, it's loss aversion that I talked about in my last video.
可能是我在上个视频中讲的损失厌恶。
When you pay $5 for something, there's a chance that you made a bad decision, so there is a downside to it.
当你付了5美元的时候,你有可能做了一个糟糕的决定,所以它会有缺点。
You might get home and be sad that you didn't make the right choice.
你可能回家后会很伤心没有做出正确的选择。
But what happens in the case of free stuff is that it seems like there's no downside,
但是对于免费的事物似乎就不会有缺点,
especially by the standards of System 1, which again I discussed in my last video.
尤其是遵循系统1的时候,在我的上个视频中也提过。
If you get home, and the product sucks, your brain will say, "Well, whatever... I got it for free anyway."
如果你回家后,产品很糟糕,你的脑子会想,“哎,不管了…反正没花钱。”
But what if what you got is Ben and Jerry's ice cream, that you waited 2 hours for just like a lot of people do?
但如果你买的是班杰利公司的冰淇淋会怎样呢,你和别人一样等了2个小时?
Your System 1 will still say, "Well, whatever... I don't like this flavor but it's not like I paid for it."
系统1会说,“无所谓…我不喜欢这种口味但我没付钱。”
But you did, and you paid a lot! 2 hours of your time for a $3 item? Come on!
但你付了,还付了很多!为了3美元的东西等了2个小时?别逗了!
You're valuing your time at $1.50/per hour. At least go for the minimum wage.
你的时间每小时值1.5美元。至少要有最低工资吧。
So there are huge implications to understanding our love for quote unquote FREE! stuff whether you're the buyer or the seller.
所以不管你是买家或卖家,理解我们对于所谓的免费物品的热爱有很大的意义。
You can dramatically diminish your irrational behavior as a buyer, and you can sell a lot more as a seller.
你可以显著的减少作为买家的不合理行为,也可以增加作为卖家的销量。
The Cost of Social Norms. Why We Are Happy to Do Things, but Not When We Are Paid to Do Them.
社会规范的成本。为什么在不付钱的情况下我们更乐于做某事。
Imagine I'm your neighbor and I need help with my car, and you're walking by and you offer to help.
假设我是你的邻居,需要你帮我修车,你就来帮我了。
Now imagine I tell you thank you and I offer you $5 when you're done helping me.
假如在你结束的时候我对你表达了谢意并支付了5美元。
That will make you angry and pissed off. "What the hell?" Now here's the thing...
你会很生气。“搞什么鬼?”是这样的…
From a traditional economic perspective, $5 is much better than $0,
从传统经济学角度,5美元确实比一分没有要更好,
but we're confusing market norms with social norms.
但是我们混淆了市场规范和社会规范。
I could offer you a $1000 to help me, and you will gladly help.
我可以付你1000美元帮助我,你会很乐意帮忙。
I could ask you as a human being in need, and you will also help.
我可以作为一个需要帮助的人要求你帮忙,你也会帮。
But as soon as I pay you $5, I've messed everything up. Now this has huge implications.
但一旦我付你5美元,我就把所有事情搞混了。这有很大的含意。
Dan Ariely has a great example of lawyers.
丹·艾瑞里有个很棒的律师案例。
They were asked to offer services at a discounted price of $30 to a group of people in need, and they all rejected.
当要求他们以30美金的折扣价格给一群有需要的人们提供服务的时候,他们都拒绝了。
Then they were asked to offer services for completely free as a decent and a charitable thing to do and most of them agreed.
当要求他们作为一项体面的慈善活动去免费提供服务的时候,大部分人都同意了。
This is the problem that we face today.
这就是我们今天面临的问题。
You don't want to offer the $30 to the people that you're leading.
你不想给员工提供30美元。
You either want to offer the real wage and meet the market norms, or you want offer something congruent with social norms.
要么你想提供符合市场规范的真正工资,要么想提供符合社会规范的东西。
And I think utilizing these social norms can have really efficient, amazing effects,
我认为使用这些社会规范可以收到非常有效的效果,
but at the same time, even large corporations don't quite clearly understand this distinction.
但同时,就算是大公司也不太清楚的明白这其中的区别。
Instead of appreciating, the person's dedication to helping fix the car, they offer the $5 incentive.
对于修车的贡献,不是感激,而是给予5美元激励。
The Problem of Procrastination and Self-Control. Why We Can't Make Ourselves Do What We Want to Do.
拖延和自控的问题。我们为什么不能让自己去做我们想做的事情。
So Dan Ariely had a class where three papers were due by the end of the semester,
丹·艾瑞里有个班要求学期末交三篇论文,
and also a class where the three papers were spread out with three deadlines at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and 12 weeks.
还有个班三篇论文的时间分别是4周8周和12周。
Now there was more to this study, but to keep it simple, let's look at the results.
这个研究还有很多,但为了简便起见,我们来看一下结果。
The class with no deadlines did much worse than the class with the deadlines spread out throughout the semester.
没有截止日期的班级比截止日期贯穿整个学期的班级要差的多。
Now, two huge takeaways here...
这里有两点需要注意…
One... I know a lot of people who are working on a project or a new business or whatever you want to accomplish,
第一…我知道很多人,他们或专注于一个项目或生意或着做想要完成的事情,
and they don't have any set deadlines.
但他们都不设定任何截止日期。
And if you do this, you're pretty much guaranteed to fail.
如果你也这样,那你极有可能会失败。
You don't want to be one of those people.
你不想成为那样的人。
A lot of times in life, you won't have a teacher who will set the deadlines for you,
生活中的多数时间,没有老师给你设定截止日期,
but you have to set artificial deadlines for yourself.
但你需要给自己手动设置截止日期。
This is absolutely crucial!
这很关键!
One of the things that I've done with these videos is taking it from having no deadlines whatsoever,
我对这些视频做的一件事就是从没有截止日期
to having a video that has to be ready for rendering every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday before I go to bed.
到现在每周二四六睡觉前都要准备好一个视频上线。
I've stayed up till 6 in the morning sometimes because I can't go to sleep unless the videos are ready.
有时我会熬到早上6点,除非视频准备好了否则我不会睡觉。
And for over a month now, I've always had a video ready for final rendering before I go to sleep.
过了一个多月,我在睡觉前总是会把视频准备好。
So this has obviously worked really well, but if I was still struggling with it,
显然这很有效,但如果我依然很纠结,
I would put some really unpleasant punishments in place,
我会适当的设立一些不太友好的惩罚,
just like having points taken off if the paper is late,
比如论文交晚了要扣分,
and just like how doctors offer paying an extra $200 up front to patients
医生要求病人付额外的200美元,
that will be deposited back into their bank account if they show up for their colonoscopy or whatever,
在他们做完结肠镜或类似检查后钱会自动返回他们的银行卡上,
and a lot patients actually agree to it because they know they will be forced to show up and do the right thing for their health.
很多病人都赞同这么做因为他们知道这是要求他们去做对健康有好处的事情。
So if I were struggling with meeting my artificial deadlines,
所以如果我为满足人工期限而纠结,
imagine how effective it would be setting up a $500 punishment,
想象一下设置一个500美金的惩罚会多么有效,
where if I don't have a video rendering in my computer before I go to sleep,
如果我在睡觉之前没有在电脑里准备好视频,
I have to pay $500 to a charity that I absolutely hate.
我就要给慈善机构捐500美金,尽管我很讨厌。
Well I can guarantee you, I would do anything and always have it ready just so that wouldn't happen.
那么我可以向你保证,我会尽可能的做任何事情,总是做好准备,以至于不会出现罚款。
And there are so many different aspects to procrastination,
拖延症有很多不同的方面,
which I will probably address at some point in maybe a quote unquote ultimate guide to it or whatever,
我可能在某点上以“终极指南之类的”来陈述它,
but this particular part is a huge part.
但这个特殊的部分是很大的一部分。
So again, One... Set up artificial deadlines.
所以再次强调,第一…设定人工截止日期。
Two... If you're not meeting them, set up some really unpleasant punishments,
第二…如果不能达到要求,设定一些不愉快的惩罚,
and I will guarantee you that you will meet them.
我会保证你一定可以做到的。
I had a friend a few years ago who had major trouble approaching girls that he liked.
几年前有个朋友和他喜欢的女生接触有巨大的困难。
So I took him out one time and got him to agree to give me a $100
所以有次我叫他出来,并和他说好,
that I would keep for myself unless he approached every girl that I told him to approach.
除非他去接近我指定的女生否则他就要给我100美元我自己存着。
The result... He approached every single girl,
结果是…他接触了每一个女孩,
even if the interactions were possibly the most awkward thing I have ever seen.
即使这些交流是我见过的最尴尬的事情。
But, fast forward a few years later now, and he's better at it than almost any other guy I know.
但是,几年后直到现在,他比我认识的大多数人更会撩妹。