手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 告别平庸的自己 > 正文

天才的背后是不为人知的努力

来源:可可英语 编辑:Jenny   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

They took a school of violinists and divided them into three groups.

他们找了一群小提琴演奏者,并把他们分成三组。
Teacher material, the merely good, and world class.
教师级别,中等级别,世界级别。
And they asked them the same question,
询问了他们同样的问题,
"Ever since you first picked up the violin, how many hours of practice have you put into it?"
“自从第一次选择小提琴,你投入了多少练习时间?”
And a pattern emerged. Teacher material had practiced about 4,000 hours,
出现了一个模式。教师级别练习约4000个小时,
the merely good had practiced about 8,000 hours, and the world class had practiced about 10,000 hours.
中等级别练习约8000个小时,世界级别练习约10000个小时。
In study after study with pianists, chess players, master criminals, the same pattern emerged.
在对钢琴家,围棋手以及高级罪犯的研究中出现了同样的模式。
And so this became known as the 10,000 hour rule.
所以这就是所谓的10000小时定律。
So the conclusion was the following: As long as you're good enough to get into the school,
总结如下:只要你足够优秀得以进入学校,
the number of deliberate hours of practice would be the only thing
刻意训练时间的长短是
that would really differentiate you from your competitors.
区分你和竞争对手的唯一因素。
Now, Outliers is an extremely interesting book, but it doesn't really tell you how to become an outlier.
《外人》是本非常有趣的书籍,但它并不是真的告诉你怎样变成一个局外人。
So I've picked out three huge implications of the book about success that should help all of us.
所以我挑选了这本书中对我们很有帮助的三个启示。
The first one, and my favorite: when you're on your first few hours of doing something, stop expecting to be good!
第一点,也是我最喜欢的一点:当你刚开始做某事的时候,不要期望太高!
I remember when I put out my first animated video,
记得我第一次发布动画视频的时候,
some people said, "Well, your animation sucks, your voice-over sucks."
有些人说,“哎,你的动画太差劲了,旁白也不好听。”
And I took that and I said, "Oh, okay, this is great. People are telling me what I need to improve on."
我听了之后说,“喔,那太好了。他们是在告诉我需要改进什么。”
But at the same time, I realized that that was completely natural, and it didn't affect me at all.
但同时,我也意识到那完全正常,对我没有丝毫影响。
But again, what is people's thought process?
但是,人们的思维过程是什么呢?
I've put in a few hours into something, I'm going to be good.
我在某事上花了好几个小时,我就要做好。
It's like, Oh! It's really surprising that I'm not as good as an entire team of animators that have put in 1,000s and 1,000s of hours into their craft.
好像我不如投入大量时间制作动画的动画团队那样优秀就很奇怪似的,
Work together, and that's literally all they do, and charge $5,000 for a single minute of animation,
共同协作,那就是他们的工作,一分钟的动画要花5000美元,
and my little first animation isn't as good as their's.
我的第一个动画不如他们的好。
But that's literally how people think.
但人们就是那么想的。
Someone starts a business, and it's like, "I've had losses in the first few months,"
有的人开始创业,感觉“前几个月我亏了好多,”
which is completely normal for a business!
其实那很正常!
But what is going to say? "Well, maybe I'm not so good at this business thing," and quit.
但会说什么呢?“哎,我不擅长做生意之类的,”然后就放弃了。
You take someone to the tennis court, and they play tennis for the first time,
你带某人去网球场,他们是第一次打网球,
and they hit the ball ten times and it hits the net every single time.
打了十次,每次都击中球网。
And what do they say? "Oh, well, maybe this isn't really my sport."
他们会说什么?“哦,可能这个运动真的不适合我。”
And it's like, "Do you know how long it took me to play my first tennis game?"
“你知道我第一次打网球花了多少时间吗?”
Took me probably 10 hours of practice to play the most miserable tennis game ever played in the history of mankind.
可能花了我十个小时去打那人类有史以来最悲催的网球。

天才的背后是不为人知的努力

And it consisted of three hits of both players back and forth, and that was it.

包括两个球员反复的三个回合,就那样。
The second big implication is that talent is overrated.
第二点重要的启示就是天才都是夸张的说法。
In the studies that they did, there were no "naturals,"
在他们的研究中,没有人生来就是天才,
meaning a person with only 4,000 hours of practice that was world class.
也就是一个只练习4000个小时的人会成为世界级大师。
There were no "grinds" either, meaning a person with 10,000 hours of practice and being a teacher material.
也没有压榨,就是说一个练习10000个小时的人只会属于教师级别。
And I don't have to look at those studies to know that talent is overrated.
我不用看那些研究都知道天才是夸大的说法。
Most of the time, what gets labeled as talent is hours and hours of practice that isn't seen.
大多数时候,被赋予天才称号的背后是别人不曾见过的不计其数的训练。
So how do I know this? Because I've been put on that pedestal before.
那么我是怎么知道的呢?因为我之前就被别人称为天才。
When I was in college, I remember taking this slightly complicated statistics class.
在大学的时候,我记得上这个稍微有点复杂的统计课。
And people were really struggling with it, and the average would usually be a 50 on the exams.
人们都很纠结,考试平均分通常50左右。
And I would get a 100 basically every single time.
而我基本上每次都会得100分。
Now at the same time, all I did in those classes was sleep. That's it.
同时,我在课上做的事情就是睡觉。就那样。
I just went there and slept. While people sitting next to me would sit there and take notes and try to work really hard.
当和我挨着的其他人记笔记努力学习的时候,我就在那睡觉。
Now, when the exams would come back, they would look at me and they would say,
考完试回来后,他们就会看着我说,
"You're a genius! Okay, you're a GOD!"
“你是天才!好吧,你简直神了!”
Basically, I became this god. How do you do this?
好吧,我成神了。你怎么做到的呢?
All you do is sleep, and look, you got a 100, I got a 50.
你就知道睡觉,看,你还得了100,我才得了50.
But again, what was the reality? And the reality isn't going to be disclosed
但是,事实是什么呢?事实不会被揭穿,
because the person with success has way too many things that are cool going on in his life.
因为成功人士的生活中有更多酷酷的事情要做。
So I had a great social circle, I was doing great things, I wasn't going to sit there and explain what happend.
所以我有很棒的社交圈,做很棒的事情,我不会坐那去解释发生了什么。
But what happened? Well, here's the actual truth.
但是发生了什么呢?以下是真相。
So when we'd go back, I would spend hours and hours every night doing every single problem.
当我们回去的时候,我每晚会花好几个小时做每一个难题。
That's by the way why I was so tired the next day in class.
那就顺便解释了为什么我在第二天课上会非常困。
What they did was they would take those notes,
他们做的只是记笔记,
those mediocre notes they took in class and maybe spend 30 minutes or an hour in their room.
他们在课堂上所做的普通笔记在家里可能会花上半消失到一小时。
And that's really where the difference came from.
那就是区别所在。
Now, not only was it that, but it was accumulated advantage.
不仅是那样,而且也有积累优势。
Even if we had gone years back, when we were in middle school,
就算退回几年,到中学时候,
I would've been the one putting in the hours and they wouldn't.
我也会是那个花好几个小时的学生,而他们不是。
And over time, it's 100s and 1,000 of hours of advantage.
久而久之,就是成百上千个小时的优势。
But again, in college, what is it? Some people are good at math, some people aren't good at math.
但是,在大学,是什么呢?有的人擅长数学,有的不擅长。
The third big implication: as long as you're good enough, deliberate practice is what will set you apart.
第三点启示:只要你足够优秀,刻意训练会让你和别人拉开差距。
Now, let's break down that "as long as you're good enough" part.
让我们把“只要你足够优秀”这部分拆分出来。
I think if you're 40 years old, have never kicked a ball in your life,
我想,如果你40岁还没踢过球,
and you say, "Well, I want to be a professional soccer player," that's not going to work.
你会说,“哎,我想成为一个专业的足球运动员,”那不会实现了。
But I think most of us have realistic goals. I think most of us are good enough.
但我认为大部分人都有现实的目标。我觉得大部分人都足够优秀。
But, what we're lacking is the deliberate practice.
但是,我们缺少的就是刻意训练。
Again, if I go back to the college example,
再次,如果回到大学的例子,
what those people would do when they would come into class would be, "Oh, I studied all night last night..."
他们来到教室后会做的是,“噢,我昨晚学习了一晚上…”
And again, what did they mean?
那么他们的意思是?
Out of every hour, I spent 50 minutes eating, talking to my roommate, being on Facebook,
每个小时,有50分钟都在吃东西,和室友聊天,刷脸书,
and then 5 to 10 minutes actually doing the work.
只有5到10分钟在真正学习。
You have to put in that deliberate amount of hours of practice where you're solely focusing on getting better at your craft,
你必须把你可用来训练的时间用在你专注变好的事情上,
and if you do that, that is what is going to set you apart.
如果你那么做了,那会让你与众不同。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
affect [ə'fekt]

想一想再看

vt. 影响,作用,感动

联想记忆
conclusion [kən'klu:ʒən]

想一想再看

n. 结论

 
merely ['miəli]

想一想再看

adv. 仅仅,只不过

 
genius ['dʒi:njəs]

想一想再看

n. 天才,天赋

联想记忆
realistic [riə'listik]

想一想再看

adj. 现实的,现实主义的

 
slightly ['slaitli]

想一想再看

adv. 些微地,苗条地

 
miserable ['mizərəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 悲惨的,痛苦的,贫乏的

 
complicated ['kɔmplikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 复杂的,难懂的
动词complica

 
professional [prə'feʃənl]

想一想再看

adj. 职业的,专业的,专门的
n. 专业人

 
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。