I would have to hide somewhere for the day.
白天我得藏在什么地方。
When it started to get light, I stopped to wash in a river and then knocked on the door of a small house.
天一放亮,我停脚在河里洗了把脸,然后去敲一所小屋的门。
I told the woman who lived there that I had had a bad fall, and she could see that I was not well.
我对小屋的女主人说我摔得很厉害。她可以看出我情形不好。
She gave me some milk and whisky.
她给了我点牛奶和威士忌,
She also gave me an old coat and hat of her husband's.
还把她丈夫的旧外套和帽子送给我。
I now looked like every other Scotsman, and felt safer.
现在我看上去和别的苏格兰人没什么两样,因此感到安全多了。
It started to rain, and I spent the afternoon under a rock.
天开始下起雨来,我在岩石下面躲了一下午。
That night was the most miserable of all.
那是最为狼狈的一晚。
There were no stars, and I got lost a least twice.
天上一颗星也没有,至少有两次我迷了路。
I had about fifteen kilometres more to go, but I think I walked thirty.
大约还要走十五公里,而我觉得已经走了三十公里。
In the end, in the very early morning, in a thick fog, I knocked on Mr. Turnbull's door.
最后,在大清早,在浓雾弥漫之中,我敲响了特恩布尔先生家的门。
Mr. Turnbull opened the door wearing an old black suit and a tie.
特恩布尔先生开了门,身穿一套黑色的旧衣服,打着领带。
At first he did not recognize me.
头一眼他没有认出我来。