'You'd better leave the poor child here with us then, Master Marner, 'offered Mrs. Kimble kindly.
"你最好把这个可怜的孩子留在我们这儿,马南师傅。"金布尔太太好心地说。
'No-I can't let it go, 'said Silas unexpectedly.
"不--我不让她离开我,"西拉斯的回答出人意料,
'It's come to me-I don't know where from-I want to keep it!
"她是来找我的,我要留下她,虽然我不知道她从哪儿来。"
''Well! 'said Mrs. Kimble, surprised. 'A single man like you! Take care of a child!
"你?"金布尔太太很诧异,"你这么个单身男人!照顾一个孩子!
Well! 'But the little one was holding on to Silas, and smiling up at him confidently.
行吗?"可这时候小家伙正靠在西拉斯身上,在信任地对着西拉斯笑。
Dr Kimble hurried into the hall. 'Where is this poor woman? Near the old quarry?
金布尔大夫跑进大厅:"那可怜的女人在哪儿?在采石场附近吗?
Someone had better fetch Dolly Winthrop. I'll need her to help me.
最好去叫一下多莉·温思罗普,我需要她的帮助。"
'I'll go! 'cried Godfrey.
"我去!"戈弗雷喊。
He wanted to get away, before anyone noticed his white face and shaking hands,
趁人们还没发现他苍白的嘴唇和颤抖的手,他想赶快离开,
and he needed time to think. He ran out into the night.
他需要时间仔细想想。他一溜烟跑进黑夜中。
When he and Dolly arrived at the quarry,
当他和多莉到采石场的时候,
the doctor had moved the woman into Silas's cottage,
大夫已经把女人移到了西拉斯的小屋。
and Godfrey had to wait outside.
戈弗雷得在外面等着。