others simply wanted to make a lot of money, and there is always money to be made from a war.
有的想发财,打仗总是能发财的。
Their plan was to get Russia and Germany at war with each other.
他们计划唆使俄国与德国互相打起来。
'I want to stop them, 'Scudder told me,
“我想制止他们,”斯卡德尔对我说,
'and if I can stay alive for another month, I think I can. '
“如果我能多活一个月,我想我能做到。”
'I thought you were already dead, 'I said.
我说:“我原以为您已经死了。”
'I'll tell you about that in a minute, 'he answered.
“过一会儿再谈这件事,”他说,
'But first, do you know who Constantine Karolides is?'
“首先,您知道康斯坦丁·卡罗里德斯是谁吗?”
'The Greek Prime Minister.
“是希腊的首相。
I've just been reading about him in today's newspapers. '
我刚刚在今天的报纸上读到他的消息。”
'Right. He's the only man who can stop the war.
“对。他是唯一能制止这场战争的人。
He's intelligent, he's honest, and he knows what's going on-and so his enemies plan to kill him.
他精明诚实,了解现状——所以他的敌人就打算把他干掉。
I have discovered how. That was very dangerous for me, so I had to disappear.
我已经发现他们用什么方法。对我来说这就很危险了,所以我必须躲起来。
They can't kill Karolides in Greece because he has too many guards.
在希腊他们杀不了卡罗里德斯,因为他有许多卫士。