I recognized him as the man who lived in a flat on the top floor of the building.
我认出他就住在这幢大楼的顶楼。
We had spoken once or twice on the stairs.
在楼梯上我们说过一两次话。
'Can I speak to you?'he asked. 'May I come in for a minute?'His voice was shaking a little.
“可以和您说句话吗?”他问道。“我可以进去呆一会儿吗?”他的声音有点儿发颤。
I opened the door and we went in.
我打开门,我们进了屋。
'Is the door locked?'he asked, and quickly locked it himself.
“门锁上了吗?”他问我,随后自己赶快把门锁上。
'I'm very sorry, 'he said to me. 'It's very rude of me.
“很抱歉,”他对我说,“我这样做很失礼,
But I'm in a dangerous corner and you looked like the kind of man who would understand.
我现在身处险境,您看着是个明白人。
If I explain, will you help me?'
如果我讲出来您能帮我吗?”
'I'll listen to you, 'I said. 'That's all I promise. '
“我会听您说的,”我答道,“目前就能答应这么多。”
I was getting worried by this strange man's behaviour.
这个陌生人的举止让我不安。
There was a table with drinks on it next to him, and he took a large whisky for himself.
在他身旁的桌子上放着饮料,他给自己倒了一大杯威士忌。
He drank it quickly, and then put the glass down so violently that it broke.
他一饮而尽,然后把杯子重重一放,力量太大,以致于杯子打破了。
'I'm sorry, 'he said. 'I'm a little nervous tonight. You see, at this moment I'm dead. '
“对不起,”他说,“今天晚上我有点儿紧张。您看,现在我已死了。”
I sat down in an armchair and lit my pipe.
我在扶手椅上坐下来,点着烟斗。