Chapter1 The man who died
第1章 死人
I returned to my flat at about three o'clock on that May afternoon very unhappy with life.
五月的那个下午三点来钟我回到寓所,过得很不开心。
I has been back in Britain for three months and I was already bored.
回到英国三个月,我已经厌烦了。
The weather was bad, the people were dull, and the amusements of London seemed as exciting as a glass of cold water.
伦敦的气候糟糕,人也没劲,各种娱乐好像没味的白水一杯。
Richard Hannay, I told myself, you have made a mistake, and you had better do something about it.
我暗暗对自己说:“理查德·哈内,这回你错了,最好想办法改过吧。”
It made me angry when I thought of the years I had spent in Africa.
想到在非洲的岁月我就有气。
I had spent those years working very hard and making money.
我呆了那么多年,拼命干活挣钱。
Not a lot of money, but enough for me.
现在钱虽然不多,但足够我用的。
I had left Scotland when I was six years old, and I had never been home since.
自从六岁我离开苏格兰就再也没回过家。
For years I had dreamt of coming home to Britain and spending the rest of my life there,
那么多年我一直梦想回英国老家来度我的余生,
but I was disappointed with the place after the first week.
然而才回来一周,就对这个地方大失所望。
And so here I was, thirty-seven years old, healthy,
眼前的情况是,本人三十七岁,身体健康,
with enough money to have a good time, and bored to death.
有足够的钱享受,但无聊得要死。