That evening I went out to dinner and sat reading the newspapers afterwards.
那天晚上我出去吃饭,然后坐在那儿读报纸。
They were full of the troubles in south-east Europe,
报纸上报道的都是关于东南欧的动乱,
and there was a long report about Karolides, the Greek Prime Minister.
其中有一篇关于希腊首相卡罗里德斯的长篇报道。
He seemed to be an honest man, but some people in Europe hated him.
这个人看来是个实在人,可是欧洲一些人却讨厌他。
However, many people in Britain liked him,
可是也有些英国人喜欢他,
and one newspaper said that he was the only man who could prevent a war starting.
有一家报纸说只有他能防止战争爆发。
I remember wondering if I could get a job in south-east Europe;
我记得我当时琢磨能否在东南欧找个工作;
it might be a lot less boring than life in London.
那里大概绝不会像伦敦的生活这样无聊。
As I walked home that night, I decided to give Britain one more day.
当晚回家的时候我下定决心在英国再呆一天便走人。
If nothing interesting happened, I would take the next boat back to Africa.
如果没有什么叫人感兴趣的事,我就乘下一班船回非洲去。
My flat was in a big new building in Langham Place.
我的寓所在兰厄姆一幢新大楼里。
There was a doorman at the entrance to the building,
大楼的入口处有个看门人,
but each flat was separate, with its own front door.
但每个寓所各自独立,都有个前门。
I was just putting the key into my door when a man appeared next to me.
我刚刚把钥匙插进锁孔,突然见旁边有个人。
He was thin, with a short brown beard and small, very bright eyes.
他身材瘦削,留着褐色的短胡子,眼睛不大却很有光彩。