'Well,Bathsheba!'said Gabriel,staring at her in surprise.
"怎么回事?芭丝谢芭!"盖伯瑞尔吃惊地瞪着她说。
'Miss Everdene,you mean,'she said.
"你该称呼伊芙丁小姐吧,"她说。
'Well,if Mr Boldwood really asked you to marry him,
"如果伯德伍德先生真的要你和他结婚,
I'm not going to contradict that,just to please you. '
那我并不想为了取悦你而去反驳那种说法。"
'I said I wanted you just to say it wasn't true that I was going to marry him,'she said,less confidently.
"我说我只是想要你说我没有打算和他结婚这回事,"她有点心虚地说。
'I can say that,if you wish,Miss Everdene.
"伊芙丁小姐,如果你希望,我可以去说。
I could also give my opinion of the way you've behaved. '
我还可以对你的所作所为谈谈我的看法。"
He continued with his work.
他继续干他的活。
Bathsheba knew that he would always give his honest opinion,even if she asked him whether she should marry another man,
芭丝谢芭知道既使她问他自己是否应该和另一个男人结婚,他也总是会实实在在地说出他的看法的。
and there was nobody else she could trust.
没有谁比盖伯瑞尔更使她信任了。
'Well,what is your opinion of my behaviour?'she asked.
"那你怎么看我做的那件事?"她问。
'No good,respectable woman would behave like that,'he replied.
"不怎么样,体面的女人不会那样做的,"他回答说。
'You should never have sent him that valentine. '
"你决不该送他那张情人卡。"
Bathsheba blushed angrily.
芭丝谢芭气红了脸。
'Luckily I don't care about your opinion!
"幸好我不在乎你说的!
Why do you think I'm not good or respectable,I wonder?
我不知道你怎么会觉得我不好,不体面!
Because I didn't agree to marry you,perhaps!'
也许是因为我不同意和你结婚!"
'Not at all. 'said Gabriel quietly.
"根本不是,"盖伯瑞尔平静地说。
'I've long ago stopped thinking about that. '
"很久以前我就不想那件事了。"
'Or wishing it,I suppose,'she said,expecting him to protest that he still loved her.
"我猜想也不抱希望了?"她说,希望他会抗议说他仍爱着她。
'Or wishing It,'repeated Gabriel calmly.
"不抱希望了,"盖伯瑞尔平静地重复。
Bathsheba would not have minded being spoken to angrily by Gabriel for her thoughtlessness,if only he had told her he loved her.
若是盖伯瑞尔告诉芭丝谢芭他爱她的话,芭丝谢芭并不会在意他由于她欠考虑而斥责她。
But his cold words of blame annoyed her greatly.
但是他责备时冷漠的言词却使她很恼火。
'I cannot allow any man to accuse me of bad behaviour!' she cried.
"我不能允许任何人指责我行为不检点!"她大声说。
'So you will leave the farm at the end of the week!'
"你这个周末走吧!"
'All right,I will,'said Gabriel calmly. 'In fact I would rather go at once. '
"行,我会走的,"盖伯瑞尔平静地说。"实际上我更愿意现在就走。"
'Go at once then!'she replied angrily. 'Don't let me see your face any more. '
"那现在就走吧!"她生气地说。"别再让我看见你。"
'Very well,Miss Everdene. 'And so he took his shears and walked quietly away.
"很好,伊芙丁小姐。"他拿起剪刀,默默地走了。