Say it was the beginning of a feeling that you would like me.
说它是你喜欢我的开始。
Just consider whether you can accept me as a husband.
考虑一下你是否愿意我做你的丈夫。
I know I'm too old for you,but believe me, I'll take more care of you than a younger man would.
我明白对你来说我有点太老了,可是相信我,我会比年轻的人照顾得你更好。
You'll have nothing to worry about.
你没有需要操心的事。
You'll have everything you want.
你会拥有你需要的一切!
God only knows how much you mean to me!'
只有天知道你对我意味着什么!"
Bathsheba's young heart was full of pity for this sensitive man who had spoken so simply and honestly.
芭丝谢芭那颗年轻的心对这个敏感的人充满了怜悯,他讲得如此的直率和诚恳。
'Don't say it,don't!You feel so much,and I feel nothing,'she replied.
"别这么说,别这么说!你的感情如此强烈,而我却什么都不觉得,"她回答说。
'Don't discuss it any more. I can't think!Oh,I've given you such pain!'
"别再说这个了,我无法考虑!唉,我使你这么痛苦!"
'Tell me that you don't refuse completely.
"告诉我你并没有完全拒绝我。
Give me some hope!
给我一线希望!
May I ask you again?
我可以再求婚吗?
May I think of you?'
我可以想你吗?"
'Yes,I suppose so. '
"可以,我想可以。"
'May I hope you will accept my proposal next time?'
"我可以希望你下次会接受我的求婚吗?"
'No,don't hope!I must go now. Give me time to think. '
"不,别抱希望!我现在得走了。给我时间让我想想。"
'Yes,I'll give you time,'he answered gratefully. 'Thank you,I'm happier now. '
"行,我给你时间,"他感激地说。"谢谢你,现在我高兴了。"
'No,please,don't be happier,Mr Boldwood,if happiness only comes from my agreeing!
"请别这样,伯德伍德先生,要是仅仅因为我同意,你就觉得那么高兴,那你就先别高兴!
I must think. '
我必须考虑考虑。"
I'll wait,'he agreed. They turned away from each other, and returned to their separate houses.
"我可以等,"他同意了。他们分手,各自回到自己的家里。