手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 影视英语 > 美剧学习 > 福尔摩斯基本演绎法 > 福尔摩斯基本演绎法第三季 > 正文

福尔摩斯基本演绎法第三季(MP3+中英字幕) 第13集 精力充沛的夏洛克

来源:可可英语 编辑:villa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码可进行跟读训练
  下载MP3到电脑  [F8键暂停/播放]   批量下载MP3到手机

Previously on Elementary...

《福尔摩斯:演绎法》前情提要
Hi, I'm Andrew Mittal.
你好,我是安德鲁·米塔尔
What, you found your next business?
怎么,你找到新事业了吗
I think so.
我想我找到了
So I called the airline, and I can't stay the whole time,
我给航空公司打了电话,我不能一直待在那
but I've always wanted to see Copenhagen.
但我一直都想去哥本哈根
You say that I saved you,
你说我拯救了你
but the way that I see it,
但我觉得
you gave me everything.
是你给了我一切
Have you decided where you're going to go?
你想好要去哪儿了吗
Your romantic inclinations are not a flaw to be corrected,
你对浪漫的渴求不是需要被改正的缺点
they're a trait to be accepted.
而是你的特点,需要被接纳
I know you, Watson.
我了解你,华生
I know you'll never be happy within the confines
我知道你受限于传统意义上的感情关系
of a "Traditional relationship."
是不可能开心的
I'm happy with Andrew.
我和安德鲁在一起挺开心的
But would you be happier without him?
那没有他你会不会更开心呢
Elizabeth Short-- she disappeared January the 9th.
伊丽莎白·索特,一月九号失踪
Her body was found, bisected and exsanguinated,
她的尸体发现于一月十四号
on January the 14th.
一分为二,还被放血了
Exsanguinated?
放血
Drained of blood.
血被抽干了
Elizabeth Short.
伊丽莎白·索特
I know the name.
我知道这个名字
The press dubbed her "The Black Dahlia"
媒体在她死后将她称作
shortly after her murder.
黑色大丽花
Yeah, I maintain, several files
我留着几份悬案的卷宗
of unsolved cases to keep me stimulated
以便在没有有趣的工作时
when interesting work fails to come in.
让自己不那么无聊
And this is one of them.
而这就是其中一个
How are you supposed to solve a murder from the 1930s?
你怎么能破上世纪三十年代的案子
1947.
是1947年
It's not impossible.
也不是不可能
I did it with the Whitechapel killings,
我破了白教堂惨案
and they date back to the 1800s.
那可是十九世纪的案子
Whitechapel?
白教堂
You knew who Jack the Ripper is?
你知道开膛手杰克是谁
See, I-I've long postulated a connection
看,我一直认为索特小姐的死
between the death of Ms. Short
跟前一年芝加哥
and the killing of a young girl in Chicago
一个叫苏珊娜·戴格南的
named Suzanne Degnan in the year prior.
年轻姑娘的死有关
See, letters from both killers use similar phrasing
看,凶手的信措辞相近
and similar combinations of letters.
而且用了相似的字母组合
Don't you think?
你不觉得吗
Maybe.
也许吧
I don't know.
我不知道
No, no, b-but look.
不,看看这些
Wh-What do you think?
你怎么想
J-Just venture an opinion.
提出个想法就行
wh-what about you?
那你呢
I don't know.
我不知道
Can we do something besides talk about murder?
我们能不能说点谋杀案之外的东西
Are you lonely?
你孤独吗
That's not the point.
那不是重点
Jack Anderson Wilson is a valuable suspect,
杰克·安德森·威尔士很有嫌疑
but there's no evidence he was ever in Chicago.
但没有证据表明他去过芝加哥
Wilson sometimes used the alias Arnold Smith.
威尔森有时会化名为阿诺德·史密斯
If I can demonstrate that Arnold Smith went to Chicago,
如果我能证明阿诺德·史密斯去过芝加哥
then we might have something worth discussing.
那我们就有值得讨论的东西了
Not that you're much of a conversationalist.
你真不是个健谈的人
State your business.
说明来意
My name is, Jill Horowitz.
我叫吉尔·霍洛维茨
an acquaintance of mine says
我有个熟人说
you're the best P.I. in the city.
你是城里最好的私家侦探
Is this a bad time?
现在不方便吗
On the contrary, it's the perfect time.
正相反,现在正是时候
My husband Steven is an attorney at Dorchester-Reid.
我丈夫史蒂文是多尔切斯特·里德公司的一名律师
You say those words as if they're supposed
你说得好像这些对我来说
to hold some significance for me.
有什么意义似的
It's one of the top law firms in the city.
那是城里最顶尖的律所之一
Steven has been, distant lately.
史蒂文最近对我有些疏远
Works odd hours,
工作时间很奇怪
makes ridiculous excuses.
编造很荒唐的借口
For a lawyer, he's a terrible liar.
对于一个律师来说,他说谎的技术很烂
You suspect your husband is having an affair.
你怀疑你的丈夫有外遇
He has to be.
肯定有
They work long hours, but lately it's been worse than usual.
他们工作时间很长,但最近越来越久了
Steven has pulled plenty of all-nighters,
史蒂文经常通宵达旦地工作
but I haven't seen him in two days.
但我已经两天没见到他了
You haven't seen or spoken to your husband in 48 hours?
你已经四十八小时没联系到你丈夫了
He's missing.
他失踪了
Please.
拜托
You have to lead an interesting life to be missing.
你的生活得很有趣才能叫失踪
All Steven does is work.
而史蒂文只会工作
He left me.
他离开我了
I want you to do the P.I. thing.
我想让你做私家侦探的那套
Find where he is, who he's with.
找到他在哪,跟谁在一起
Get me some pictures that I can use in court.
给我拍一些在法庭上用得着的照片
You keep using the phrase "P.I."
你一直在用私家侦探这个词
That's not what I do.
那不是我的职业
The marital squabbles of two petit bourgeois
两个曼哈顿庸俗女子之间关于婚姻的争吵
Manhattanites interest me not a whit.
一点都提不起我的兴趣
Fine.
好吧
Normally, that is, they'd interest me not a whit.
通常这提不起我的兴趣
But you've caught me at something
但现在刚好
of a vulnerable moment.
是我脆弱的时候
I could use a distraction.
我可以散散心
That's a pretty good likeness.
画得挺像啊
Imagine sitting for an oil portrait in this day and age.
想象一下在这个年代坐着被画成油画像
The hubris practically leaks off the canvas.
那份傲慢都快从画布上淌下来了
You had sex this morning.
你今早滚床单了
Excuse me?
什么
Your stride indicates a recent release of tension.
你的脚步说明你的压力缓解了
Is Andrew in town?
安德鲁回来了吗
Or have you taken another lover?
还是你又有别的情人了
He got in yesterday.
他昨天回来的
He's back in town for good.
他回来就不走了
The model factory's up and running in Copenhagen,
工厂在哥本哈根建立运营了
so now he can work from the States.
所以他现在可以在美国工作了
And you can be a full-time couple.
你们就可以做全职情侣了
You must be thrilled.
你肯定很高兴
Absolutely.
那当然
Sure.
没错
So why are we looking into a cheating husband?
我们为什么要查一个有外遇的丈夫
Are you that desperate for work?
你就这么想干活吗
I used to relish my solitude.
我曾经很享受我的孤独
But the truth is, I've grown accustomed
但事实是,我已经渐渐习惯了
to having a companion at the Brownstone.
在褐石屋有个人陪着我
The place feels a little bit empty these days.
这些日子房子里有些空荡荡的
No word from Kitty?
没有凯蒂的消息吗
You know you can always call me if you want to talk.
你想聊天的话随时可以打给我
You want your independence.
你想要独立
I will not intrude.
我不想打扰你
Anyway, this work might turn out to be interesting.
不管怎样,这项工作可能会变得很有趣
Before you got here, I told the receptionist
在你来之前,我跟前台说
I was here to see Steven Horowitz.
我是来见史蒂文·霍洛维茨的
She said there's no one of that name working here.
她说这里没有叫这个名字的人
His wife said Dorchester-Reid, right?
他妻子说是多尔切斯特·里德公司,对吧
You're the ones looking for Steven?
你们就是来找史蒂文的人
Look, I don't know what to tell you.
我不知道该怎么跟你们说
Steven was an associate here until about six months ago.
史蒂文直到六个月前都是这里的合伙人
They let him go.
他们把他开除了
Do you know why?
你知道为什么吗
We have a bloodletting from time to time.
我们时不时就有人被开除
Guess they didn't think he was partner material.
我猜他们觉得他不是当合伙人的料
His wife is under the impression he still works here.
他妻子以为他还在这里工作
She gave us a phone number which matches your exchanges.
她给了我们一个能打到你们接线处的号码
Like I said, don't know what to tell you.
我说了,我没什么能告诉你们的
But I got to go.
但我得走了
This isn't billable.
回答问题又没钱赚
What are you doing?
你在干什么
I'm calling the number Steven's wife gave us.
给史蒂文的妻子提供的号码打电话
Steven Horowitz's office.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨的办公室
Yes, hello, is that the same Steven Horowitz
你好,是那个在多尔切斯特·里德
who works as an attorney at Dorchester-Reid?
做合伙人的史蒂文·霍洛维茨吗
That's right.
是的
You're thinking whoever answered the phone is somewhere in there.
你觉得接电话的人就在里面
Excuse me.
抱歉
I'll only be a moment, I'm just...
我马上就出来
Steven Horowitz's office.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨的办公室
Hello, is he in?
你好,他在吗
Not at the moment-- can I take a message?
现在不在,需要留个字条吗
I'd really like to speak with him.
我很想跟他谈谈
We're supposed to be playing racquetball at the moment.
我们约好了一起打壁球的
Racquetball? Steven doesn't play racquetball.
壁球,史蒂文不打壁球
Are you telling me I'm not standing on a racquetball court
你是说我现在不是站在
as we speak?
壁球场里吗
I don't know where you are, sir.
我不知道你在哪,先生
That's a shame.
真遗憾
If you had a bit more spatial awareness,
如果你有一点空间意识的话
you'd realize I was standing right behind you.
你就会意识到我就站在你身后
Would you mind telling us why you're pretending
你介意告诉我们为什么
to be the secretary of a man
你要假装做一个
who hasn't worked here in six months?
已经离职半年的人的秘书吗
Please, you can't tell anyone
拜托,你不能告诉任何人
that I am still answering Steven's phones.
我还在接史蒂文的电话
They are always looking for an excuse
他们总是在找借口
to fire people around here.
开除雇员
Admins are in charge of deactivating the phones
管理员应该在雇员被开除之后
when someone is let go, but Steven begged me not to.
把他们的电话停用,但史蒂文求我别这样
He pays me a little every week just to keep answering.
他每周给我一点钱让我继续接电话
So he wants people to think he's still working here.
所以他想让人们觉得他还在这里工作
I guess.
我猜是的
It's mostly his wife who calls.
打电话来的基本都是他妻子
Just forward it to a cell most of the time.
基本只要转到他手机上就行
That's kind of a big lie-- she never caught on?
这个是个大谎,她从没发现吗
Steven and Jill are not the most connected couple.
史蒂文和吉尔的关系并不那么亲密
She does a lot of charity work, he works long hours.
她做很多慈善工作,他工作时间很长
I guess she would have found out eventually,
我猜她最终会发现的
but I'm not surprised he fooled her.
但我并不意外他会欺骗她
Is there any reason why he didn't just tell her?
他为什么不直接告诉她呢
He never said.
他没说
But the name "Dorchester-Reid" opens a lot of doors.
但多尔切斯特·里德的名头能给你许多好处
Steven and Jill live in a co-op building,
史蒂文和吉尔住在一座共同住宅
they belong to the Braebury Club.
他们是布拉博利乡村俱乐部的
I guess he just wanted to keep up appearances.
我想他只是想保持光鲜的外表
that's all fine and dandy until the bill comes due.
一切都很美好,直到账单到期
I handled Steven's mail for two years.
我为史蒂文处理了两年的邮件
He didn't have much savings,
他没有多少存款
but there was money coming in from somewhere.
但一直有钱进账
You think he was involved in something illegal?
你觉得他在干一些违法的勾当
I don't know.
我不知道
But his wife wasn't the only one who called.
但他妻子不是唯一打电话来的人
Some of the other people sounded a little...
其他的人听起来有些...
I don't know, shady?
不知道怎么说,很可疑
Most of them wouldn't even leave their names.
大部分人都不愿意留下名字
When he offered me money to answer the phones,
当初他拜托我继续帮他接电话
I assumed I'd get a check every week.
我以为会每周收到支票
Instead, he sent cash.
结果收到的是现金
It was like he didn't want there to be a paper trail.
感觉像是他不希望留下书面记录
Did you get paid recently?
你最近有收到钱吗
Yeah, I got an envelope a couple days ago.
有,我几天前收到一个信封
I was gonna bring it to the bank at lunch.
我本想在午餐时带去银行的
Can I...?
能给我...
Thanks.
谢谢
No return address.
没有寄信人地址
Postmarked 11101.
邮戳编号11101
Long Island City. It's not near his home.
是长岛市邮编,离他家不近
Perhaps it's near his new business.
也许离他的新业务很近
This stain is horchata.
这块污渍是杏仁茶
Specifically, Salvadoran horchata.
确切来说,是萨尔瓦多杏仁茶
The morro seeds give it away.
因为我尝出了摩洛种子
So his office might be near a place
这么说他的办公室也许在长岛市
that serves Salvadoran food in Long Island City.
某个靠近萨尔瓦多食品供应的地方
Thank you. You've been most helpful.
谢谢,你帮了不少忙
You're free to resume your life of tedium and petty deception.
请继续过回你单调乏味的行骗生活吧
I give you Long Island City's foremost purveyors
这里是长岛市供应一流
of tamales, pupusas, and, of course, horchata.
玉米粽,奶酪猪肉饼和杏仁茶的地方
According to the online reviews,
根据网上评论
the cuisine is thoroughly authentic, although the ambience
这边的菜肴相当正宗
can be ruined by the appearance of an occasional rat.
尽管偶尔窜出来的耗子会有些煞风景
That explains the notice from the health department.
所以卫生署才会贴出这样的布告
So, what are we looking for here?
那我们在这里找什么呢
Signs of Steven?
史蒂文的踪迹吗
Hey, have you ever thought about getting a roommate?
你有想过找个室友吗
At times, you seem to understand me quite well,
有时候,感觉你很了解我
and then you'll do something like
但紧接着你就会问我
ask if I've considered taking on a flatmate.
要不要找室友这种问题
Why is that such a weird question?
这个问题哪里不对了
You like being around people.
你喜欢跟别人待在一起
You are not people, Watson. Neither was Kitty.
你不是那些"人" 华生,凯蒂也不是
People, in case you haven't noticed,
怕你没看出来,我说明一下
are a crassulent, beef-witted lot.
别"人"都非常"蠢鲁" 愚钝
Okay, no idea what crassulent means,
听不懂什么叫"蠢鲁"
but I'm not saying take an ad online.
但我不是让你上网找室友
I mean, you've got a lot of interesting acquaintances.
你生活中也有一些有趣的熟人
I'm sure one of them wouldn't mind getting a cheap room
我想他们中总会有人想在褐沙石豪宅里
in a huge brownstone.
租个便宜的单间
And who do you have in mind?
你有人选吗
it probably shouldn't be someone from the program.
戒瘾项目里的人还是不要考虑了
Hey, what about Ms. Hudson? She's smart.
哈德森夫人怎么样,她很聪明
I know far too much about that woman's love life as it is.
那个女人的感情生活,我知道得太多
Mason's too young.
梅森太年轻了
What about the Nose?
"鼻子"怎么样
He seems tidy.
他好像挺爱干净的
The Nose owns half of Washington Heights.
"鼻子"拥有华盛顿高区一半的豪宅
I hardly think he has use for my spare bedroom.
我可不觉得他能瞧上我空置的卧室
There has to be somebody.
总会有个人吧
Thank goodness.
感谢上苍
For what?
感谢什么
I found a way out of this conversation.
我知道怎么结束这个话题了
The file I gave you on Horowitz,
我给你的那份霍洛维茨文件
you read the piece about his car?
你看了有关他车的信息吗
Yeah, black Lexus, license plate begins with a "P," I think.
黑色雷克萨斯,车牌号好像以P开头
PCT
PCT
2093.
2093
This is his car.
这是他的车
Street cleaning violation.
违反了街道清理条例
Wednesday afternoon.
星期三下午
This car has been here for a few days.
这辆车在这里停了好几天了
SMH Incorporated.
SMH股份有限公司
Steven Matthew Horowitz.
史蒂文·马修·霍洛维茨
Looks like this place shut down in a hurry.
这地方看起来像是关得很匆忙
Judging by the age of the mold that has accrued in this cup,
根据这杯里的霉菌增长值来判断
I'd say it was active less than a week ago.
有一周没人在这里活动了
So around the same time that Steven disappeared.
跟史蒂文消失的时间大致相同
The two are in all likelihood connected.
两件事有很大关联
The question is, which came first?
问题是哪一件先发生的
A lot of phones.
很多电话
Looks like they were selling something.
他们好像在卖什么东西
See the way the dust has settled?
看见灰尘落下的痕迹了吗
There was a carpet runner here
几天之前
on the floor until a few days ago.
这里的地板上还铺了条地毯
The fire extinguisher is missing.
灭火器不见了
No sign of a fire.
没有起火迹象
I suspect it was used for off-label purposes.
我怀疑被人拿去另作他用了
Looks like blood.
看起来是血
This is reason enough to call Captain Gregson.
这就足够让我给格雷森警监打电话了
That's a piece of brain matter.
那是一块脑浆
I just talked to the M.E.
我刚跟法医谈过
Preliminary DNA confirms that the blood and brain matter
初步DNA鉴定显示,血液和脑浆
both belong to Steven Horowitz.
同属于史蒂文·霍洛维茨
We got canine units combing the area.
警犬队全面搜查了那片区域
No sign of a body.
没发现尸体
Be very surprised if you find one.
找到才让人吃惊呢
The killer most likely wrapped it
凶手极有可能用地毯
in the missing carpet runner and then transported it by car.
将尸体包裹起来,用车运走了
So he could've gone anywhere.
所以他可能去了任何地方
He?
他吗
Steven Horowitz kept himself in reasonably good shape.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨身材保持得不错
I think it's very unlikely that a woman
我认为一个女人不太可能
beat him to death with a fire extinguisher.
用一个灭火器就把能他打死
Though not impossible, of course.
当然不是没可能
Watson, I've got every confidence
华生,我绝对相信
that you could brain a man with a metal tube
只要你下定决心,用一根金属管
if you put your mind to it.
就能把一个男人打死
That's very nice of you to say.
多谢你这么夸我
What about the wife?
那他妻子呢
You said they didn't get along?
你说过他们关系不和
You think she could've hired someone to do this?
有可能是她买凶杀人吗
We can't rule it out.
不排除这个可能
But I can't imagine why she would commit murder
但是我想不出她为何杀了人
and then hire me.
还要再雇我
Where are we on SMH Inc.?
SMH公司查得怎么样了
Any idea what it is yet?
查出是什么公司了吗
It's been around since August.
从八月份就开始活动了
Steven Horowitz was the only officer on record,
史蒂文·霍洛维茨是唯一记录在案的负责人
so we're pulling the W-2s to look for employees.
所以我们会调出所有工资收入表来查找员工
I'll let you know what we get.
有发现就通知你
What about the phone records?
电话记录呢
The offices were clearly
那间办公室
some sort of a calling center.
很显然是什么呼叫中心
We're running that down.
我们会继续追查
Everyone's closed for the night,
晚上大家都下班了
but we should have them first thing.
但明天一早就能有结果
Okay, I got to notify the wife.
好,我去通知他妻子
Perhaps you and I should retire to my home,
也许你该跟我回家
develop further theories.
我们继续推理
What's to develop? We'll get the records
还有什么好推理的
in the morning and go from there.
明早拿到记录再分析
Would you rather not be alone?
你不想一个人待着吗
Don't talk twaddle.
别瞎说
I just want to maintain focus.
我只想集中精神
I'd hang out, but I'm making dinner with Andrew tonight.
我想去待待,但我要给安德鲁做晚餐
I don't hang out, Watson.
我从不闲待着,华生
call me if you're going crazy, and think about the roommate.
你要是疯了就打给我,考虑下室友的事
I'm not moving in with you.
我可不要跟你住
I didn't ask you to.
我又没问你
The Tribeca space is obviously centrally located,
翠贝卡地区绝对是中心地段
but I don't know. It's small.
但我说不好,太小了
And it's Tribeca.
还是翠贝卡地区
People are very cool in Tribeca.
翠贝卡的人都很酷
You're cool.
你也很酷
Thanks.
谢谢
You know what I mean.
你懂我的意思
If I go to Bushwick, I get actual bay windows,
如果我去布什威克,会住带飘窗的房子
an office with a door that closes,
一间独立办公室
and room to grow.
还有房间可他用
Sounds like you already made up your mind.
看来你做好决定了
Go Bushwick.
选布什威克
So, dinner is ready.
晚餐好了
Okay, don't judge me.
别评判我的厨艺
hey, my dad called this afternoon.
我爸今天下午来电话了
he's in town tomorrow on business.
他明天过来出差
He wants to take us out for dinner.
想请我们吃晚餐
If you're free, that is.
如果你有空的话
Sure.
I'd love to meet him.
我很想见他
Don't worry.
别紧张
It's not meeting my dad.
不是见家长
It's just dinner.
只是一顿饭
Totally low-key.
不是什么大事
Can I tell him 7:30?
可以跟他约七点半吗
Yeah.
可以
Hello!
你好
Seriously, at the end of the day,
说真的,一天结束时
do you think, "Wow, I really harassed a lot of people today?"
你会觉得,"我今天骚扰了不少人吗"
'Cause I think if I had your job,
因为如果我干你的工作
I'd probably just kill myself.
我可能会自杀
Madam, I merely obtained your phone number
女士,我只是通过SMH公司
through SMH Incorporated.
获得了你的电话号
I am not affiliated with them.
我跟他们没有关系
I'm warning you, don't call here again.
我警告你,别再给我打电话了
Friend of yours?
你朋友吗
That was Ms. Ruth Talbert
是露丝·塔伯特女士
from Taos, New Mexico.
来自新墨西哥州的陶斯
Detective Bell sent the phone records
贝尔警探今早
from Steven's office earlier this morning.
把史蒂文办公室的通话记录发来了
I've been calling the numbers in an effort
为了弄清SMH公司是干什么的
to find out what SMH Incorporated was up to
我正给好多人打电话
and perhaps turn up a suspect or two.
或许还能找出一两个嫌犯
Sounds like you found one.
听上去你找到了一个
As a matter of fact, I found thousands of them.
事实上,我找到了上千个
Everyone who received a phone call
每一个接到SMH公司电话的人
from SMH Incorporated had motive to kill Steven Horowitz.
都有杀死史蒂文·霍洛维茨的动机
Steven Horowitz was a debt merchant.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨是债务商人
A what now?
什么商人
Someone somewhere buys, let's say, a Jet Ski on credit.
比如说,有人用信用卡买了辆水上摩托艇
Then she loses her job
可她失业了
and she stops paying.
不能继续还款了
Another person dislikes the curvature of his buttocks,
另一个人不喜欢自己的臀部曲线
so he splurges on a set of implants.
于是他花了重金去垫臀
Another soul eyes an Italian supercar and thinks,
另一个人看上了一辆意大利超级跑车
"Why not me?"
心想"我干嘛不买"
People buy things they can't afford.
人们购买自己负担不起的东西
I'm aware of the concept.
我明白是什么概念了
Many, many people.
很多很多人
Much of it is frivolous, some of it is not.
大部分人是轻率,有些不是
But every such purchase flows into a massive ocean
但每一次这样的购买都流入消费债务的
of consumer debt.
巨大海洋中
In this country alone, it adds up to $2.4 trillion,
仅在美国,加起来就有2.4万亿美元
most of it owed to credit card companies.
大部分人欠信用卡公司的钱
Horowitz did not work for a credit card company.
霍洛维茨不在信用卡公司工作
True, but such corporations have a policy of giving up
对,但这样的企业有一项政策
on trying to collect unpaid debt after 180 days.
就是放弃催缴超过180天未付清的欠款
Someone's decided it's just not worth the effort.
有人觉得不值得费这么大劲
So they sell it on.
他们会把账单卖掉
They sell the debt?
把债务卖掉
To who?
卖给谁
Why would anyone buy an unpaid bill?
为什么有人会买没付款的账单
Because you can get it at a steep discount.
因为可以获得很大的折扣
Let's say you purchase $10,000 worth of debt
假设你用一千块钱买了
for $1,000.
一万块钱的债
You're then able to harass or otherwise
然后你就可以去骚扰债务人
wring $5,000 out of your unfortunate creditees.
或者给他免去五千块钱的债务
You've then made...
这样你就赚了...
$4,000.
四千块钱
As a way to make a living,
这种赚钱的方式
it's more than a bit declasse,
非常下三滥
which is why Steven kept it hidden from his wife.
所以史蒂文才一直瞒着他的妻子
But it can also be very lucrative,
不过这也是非常有利可图的
which is why he was doing it in the first place.
所以他才干起了这行
we're gonna need a phone bank
我们得装很多部电话
of our own just to sort through all these people.
才能查清所有的这些人
Actually, we're going to the precinct.
其实,我们要去警局了
I asked Detective Bell to sort through the W-2s
我让贝尔警探去查一下
from Steven's company. Any one of those people on the wall
史蒂文公司的税单
had motive to want Steven gone.
都有杀史蒂文的动机
And I wouldn't rule them out,
所以我不会把他们排除掉
but the debt collection industry
不过收债的人都有习惯
is notorious for hiring convicts and recent parolees.
雇佣罪犯或者假释的人
I think it's equally likely that Steven ran afoul
我觉得很有可能史蒂文遇到了
of one of his shadowy new associates.
一个干过坏事的同事
Someone like Eduardo Pena.
像爱德华多·佩尼亚这样的人
The man does have a history of incarceration and violent assault.
这个人有监禁和暴力袭击的前科
Copies of the W-2 forms from SMH Incorporated.
SMH公司税单的复印件
Bell hasn't arrived with Mr. Pena yet,
贝尔还没带佩尼亚回来
so I thought we could look through them while we wait
所以我想在等他们的时候先看一下
and see if there's anything untoward.
看看有没有什么特别的
Why did you lie?
你为什么要说谎
What?
什么
That's an Argentinian steakhouse.
那是家阿根廷牛排馆
It's an established fact that you abhor chimichurri sauce.
而你不喜欢阿根廷香辣酱
First of all, don't read over my shoulder.
首先,不要在我身后偷看
And it wasn't a lie. I'm being polite.
其次,我这不是说谎,是有礼貌
We're having dinner with Andrew's father tonight.
我们今晚要跟安德鲁的父亲一起吃饭
He probably picked the place.
可能是他选的地方
I'm not gonna say I won't go there.
我不能拒绝
Meeting the parents.
见家长
That's an important milestone in your romantic passion play.
这是你们恋爱期间重要的里程碑
No, I'm not meeting his parents. I'm having dinner
不,我不是去见家长
with his father. It's no big deal.
只是和他父亲吃晚饭,不是大事
Then why is it making you so tense?
那你为什么这么紧张
I'm not tense about the meal.
我不是因为吃晚饭的事紧张
I'm tense about you grilling me about it.
而是因为你一直在盘问我
No.
不是
Marcus is here.
马库斯来了
Thank God.
谢天谢地
Steven and I worked our first debt package together
几个月前,史蒂文和我做成了
a few months ago.
我们的第一笔生意
It was his first time.
那是他的第一次
I kind of showed him the ropes.
我教给他该怎么做
And you were working on another project together,
而且你当时还在做另一项生意
weren't you?
对吧
Out in Long Island City?
在长岛市
Steven got tipped to a big package.
史蒂文搞到了一大堆账单
He called it the Mother Lode.
他管它叫主矿脉
Millions and millions' worth of debt
好几百万的债务
that he picked up on the cheap.
他只花了很少的钱
How many millions?
有几百万
I don't know.
我不知道
Steven never showed me the whole list.
史蒂文从不给我看整份名单
He'd just give us names to call every day.
他只是给我每天要打电话的人的名字
Why were your offices shut down?
你们的办公室为什么关了
I don't really know.
我不清楚
Sometimes if Steven had his hooks into someone
有时如果史蒂文勾上欠很多钱的大鱼
who owed big money and they lived nearby,
而且他们又住得很近的话
he'd drive out to see him,
他会开车去见他
try to collect in person.
亲自收钱
He went out on one of those errands last week,
他上周就是去干这事了
came back, told us all to go home.
回来后把我们全部炒了
What happened?
发生什么了
Who did he see?
他去见谁了
No idea.
不知道
He just said we were done collecting on the package--
他只是说我们不再收账单了
which was ridiculous, 'cause we hadn't even called a third
这很可笑,因为我们打电话的人还不到
of the names yet.
名单上的三分之一
How do you know that?
你怎么知道的
Thought you never saw the whole list.
你不是说没有看到整份名单吗
Just a guess.
我猜的
He's lying.
他在说谎
Badly.
还很拙劣
Who are you calling?
你给谁打电话
The phone company. I'm gonna pretend to be Mr. Pena.
电话公司,我要冒充佩尼亚先生
You must have been pretty upset,
就这么不明不白地丢了工作
losing a job out of nowhere like that.
你一定很生气吧
I was wondering when you were gonna get to that.
我还好奇你什么时候才会问这话
You think I killed Steven, right?
你觉得是我杀了史蒂文,对吧
Makes sense.
合情合理
He fired me.
他炒了我
I've got a rap sheet.
而我又有很厚的案底
He died, what, a couple days ago?
他就在几天前死的,对吧
That's right.
是的
Steven let everybody go last week.
史蒂文上周把所有人都炒了
I left for Springfield, Ohio, the next day.
我第二天就去了俄亥俄州的斯普林菲尔德市
Got back last night.
昨天晚上才回来
What were you doing there?
你去那干什么
Nephew's birthday party.
参加侄子的生日聚会
I'll show you the travel receipts if you want.
你们如果想看的话,我可以把旅行票据给你们
He might not have killed Steven Horowitz,
他可能没有杀害史蒂文·霍洛维茨
but he's lying about one thing.
但有一件事他说谎了
He has the complete list of debts.
他有债务人的整份名单
He stole it.
他偷的
Who's that?
这是谁
Mr. Pena just installed 14 new phone lines at his apartment.
佩尼亚先生在他的家里刚安装了十四部电话
He's opening a boiler room of his own.
他是要自己另起炉灶
Is that true?
是真的吗
If we look around your place,
如果我们去你家搜查
are we gonna find Steven's list of debtors?
会不会找出史蒂文的债务人名单
If we do, that's criminal possession of stolen property.
如果找到了,你就犯了非法占有偷窃物品罪
That's a felony charge and a parole violation.
这可是重罪,而且你也违反了假释条例
Now, of course, if your alibi checks out,
当然了,如果你的不在场证据被证实了
you give us the list voluntarily...
而且又主动交出名单
we might be able to work something out with your P.O.
我们或许可以跟你的假释官求求情
Presenting the Mother Lode.
这就是主矿脉
There looks, at first glance,
粗略一看
to be around $20 million worth of unpaid bills.
就有差不多两千万的账单
So what are we looking for in here?
我们要从这里面找什么
Any large amounts
数额大的账单
owed by residents of Naugatuck, Connecticut.
由康涅狄格州诺格塔克地区居民所欠的
We have Steven's EZ Pass records
在史蒂文消失前
and cell phone tower pings
他在诺格塔克的乡村公路上
from a rural route in Naugatuck
有过路收费记录
shortly before his disappearance.
以及手机信号
He had no normal business there,
他在那没有什么正常的生意
so perhaps he was looking for one of his debtors.
所以他可能是去那找债务人
So you want to find out
这么说你是想知道
what happened in that face-to-face visit.
那次见面发生了什么
Everything was proceeding quite normally up to that point,
在那之前所有事都进行得很顺利
so we need to learn what scared Steven
所以我们得查清楚是什么
into closing his business.
吓得史蒂文要关门
You really mustn't feel badly
不想见安德鲁的家长
about not wanting to meet Andrew's parents.
你也不必感觉自责
The man's always been something of
那个男人对你来说
a placeholder for you.
就是个替补
"Placeholder"? I never said that.
"替补" 我可没这么说过
You've also, in all the time you've dated,
而且,你每次恋爱时
never displayed even a hint of the intoxication
都没有表现出一丝陪伴爱人的
which accompanies new love.
喜悦之情
The man is back permanently,
他回来定居了
seeking a modest escalation of the relationship,
希望你们的关系能更进一步
and you're forced to confront
而你要不得不面对
your lack of passion for the man.
你对男人缺乏激情的问题
That's a line of thinking which leads
这种想法将最终
inevitably to a breakup.
不可避免地导致分手
I don't want to break up with Andrew.
我不想跟安德鲁分手
We're just sort of starting out.
我们才刚开始
If you don't want to break up with him,
如果你不想跟他分手
then why does the idea of meeting his parents
那为什么见他家长这件事
fill you with a nameless dread?
让你如此害怕
I...
我...
Don't answer that right away.
不要马上回答
Actually, we'll have plenty of time to think,
我们有很长时间可以想这事
'cause we're driving to Connecticut.
因为我们要去康涅狄格州了
You found someone.
你找到了
Owen Downey.
欧文·唐尼
According to this list, he has accumulated
根据名单上显示,他欠了
several hundred thousand dollars' worth of debt.
几十万块钱的债
Owen Downey has a felony record,
欧文·唐尼曾经犯过重罪
so if he doesn't answer the door...
所以如果他不开门...
We don't pick the lock.
我们也不能撬锁
Hello.
你们好
Good afternoon.
下午好
We're consultants with the NYPD.
我们是纽约警局的顾问
We'd like to see Owen Downey.
我们想见见欧文·唐尼
Oh, I'm sorry.
很抱歉
Owen's having his treatment right now.
唐尼现在正在接受治疗
We just have a few questions for him.
我们只是想问他几个问题
It's kind of been a long drive.
我们大老远赶来的
Well, if you're willing to wait,
如果你们愿意等的话
you can talk to him in a minute,
过一会就可以和他说话了
but right now Owen isn't saying anything.
可是现在,欧文什么也说不了
I don't think that man's bludgeoned anyone recently.
我觉得他最近不可能打过人
What's his diagnosis?
他的诊断结果是什么
Emphysema.
肺气肿
Owen thinks he picked it up working construction,
欧文觉得他是在当建筑工人时得上的
but he never got any money out of the company.
不过他的公司没给过任何补偿
I'm Owen's aunt.
我是欧文的姨妈
I work at a hospital in town.
在市里的医院工作
I come by whenever I can,
我有空就过来看看
get him whatever medicine I can get my hands on.
把我能弄到的药给他用上
During your visits, have you ever seen this man?
你来这的时候,见过这个人吗
Sure. Steven.
是的,史蒂文
He's been out here a few times.
他来过好几次
Is he okay?
他还好吗
I'm afraid not.
恐怕不好
He was murdered.
他被谋杀了
Oh, my goodness.
我的天哪
I'm so sorry to hear that.
很遗憾
I know Steven was struggling to find his way,
我知道史蒂文有些不择手段
but he was a good man.
不过他是个好人
A good man? He was trying to collect money from your nephew.
好人,他想从你侄子身上收债
At first.
起先是这样
Then he talked to Owen for a while.
然后他和欧文谈了谈
The second time I saw him here, he brought groceries.
第二次见他来的时候,他还买了些生活用品
Then last week, he told Owen
等到上周,他告诉欧文
he didn't owe him anything anymore.
他不欠他任何债了
Really?
真的吗
It was like a miracle.
简直是个奇迹
Steven said he couldn't live with what he was doing,
史蒂文说自己不该再继续做这种事了
he couldn't bleed money out of people
他不能再从那些
who were down on their luck anymore.
已经不走运的家伙身上诈取钱财了
He was forgiving Owen's debt.
他把欧文的债一笔勾销了
Maybe that's why he closed the business.
也许这就是他关掉公司的原因
He wasn't just absolving Owen's debt,
他不仅免除了欧文的债
he was doing it for everyone in that file.
他还要免除名单上所有人的债
Excuse me.
失陪一下
Steven Horowitz may not have been killed
史蒂文·霍洛维茨之所以会被谋杀
because he was a debt collector,
并非因为他是个收债人
he may have been killed because he was a debt forgiver.
可能因为他是个免债人
So Steven Horowitz was what, some kind of Robin Hood?
你是说史蒂文·霍洛维茨是个罗宾汉吗
Mm, the analogy is not perfect,
这个比喻并不怎么准确
but in a manner of speaking, yes.
但是某种角度上来说,确实如此
He didn't set out to forgive a massive parcel of debt.
他的出发点并不是为了免除他人的债务
He had every intention of collecting on the Mother Lode
他之前盘算着按主矿脉上的名单收债
but somewhere along the way had an epiphany.
但是某一天他突然良心发现了
So it's kind of like the Grinch giving back Christmas.
有点像鬼精灵送还了圣诞节的情节
Well, good on Steven. What has this
他真善良,不过这一点
got to do with his murder?
和他被谋杀又有什么关系呢
An entirely pertinent question.
这个问题切中要害
Before he could process the paperwork
就在他要处理那些
which would actually have registered
已被他免除的债务文件之前
the debt as settled, Steven was murdered.
他就被谋杀了
You think someone wanted to stop him from doing that?
你认为有人不希望他这么做吗
I think Steven had very little in the way of savings.
我认为史蒂文自己并没有多少积蓄
Someone would have alerted him
之前是其他人告诉了他
to the existence of the Mother Lode.
主矿脉的存在
It was a package which, if worked properly,
这个计划如果操作得当的话
could set him up for life.
能让他以后都衣食无忧了
But it would cost millions of dollars to purchase.
但那些文件本身价值上百万
So he had investors?
所以他还有其他投资人
And who purchases shares
谁会去买
in large packets of unpaid debt?
这么多未还的债务呢
A rogues' gallery.
全是流氓恶棍
Those who spend their lives
那些终日
in the twilight between the legal and the criminal.
游走在黑白两道中间的人
I give you...
请看
the principal investors in SMH Incorporated.
SMH股份有限公司的主要投资人
Is that Sam Gianini?
那是山姆·吉尔尼尼吗
The reputed head of what is left of the city's crime family
本市主要犯罪集团的头目
invested through a shell corporation named after his niece.
通过他侄女名下的空壳公司进行了投资
Grace Yee,
格雷丝·绮
doyenne of Brooklyn's offtrack betting economy;
控制着布鲁克林非法赌博业的女首脑
Walker Tolan, curator of sex clubs
沃克·托朗,色情行业的老大
which connect money to Wall Street
提供各类秀色可餐的男女
with pliable young men and women...
其交易甚至能追溯到华尔街
I would go on, but you get the picture--
后面还有,不过你们应该懂了
there's no one here you would invite to high tea.
都是些臭名昭着的人物
No one you'd want to stiff on their seed money, either.
没人敢随便动他们的钱
Precisely. Steven Horowitz's spiritual awakening
正是如此,史蒂文·霍洛维茨的良心发现
had the unhappy side effect
触犯了别人的利益
of enraging a cross-section of blackguards and highwaymen.
惹怒了那些地痞流氓
It's our job to figure out which one of them killed him.
我们要找出是他们中的谁动了手
Well, with that group, would've been a race to the finish line.
看起来并非难事
So, obviously I did not become
我当康戒陪护
a sober companion to be a detective.
并不是为了成为一名侦探
I didn't even know I wanted to be a detective
直到我成为一名侦探之后
until I actually started doing it.
才知道这是我的理想工作
I mean,I resisted it for a long time, but I'm really glad
起先我犹豫了很久,不过还好
I made the switch.
我接受了这份工作
So...
那么
surgeon...
先是外科医生
sober companion...
再是康戒陪护
detective.
然后成为了一名侦探
I-I know it sounds meandering when I describe it,
我知道这说起来挺曲折的
but I promise you it all felt very organic while
但是我向你保证,事情就是
it was actually happening.
自然而然发展成那样的
That's a rather perfect description
这种说法正是大部分人
of most people's lives.
生活的写照
I find your story inspiring, actually.
你的故事很令人启发
I think my mother would say "flighty," but... thanks.
我妈会说我"没有恒心" 不过谢谢夸奖
Well, of course she would.
她当然会这么认为
We worry about our children.
我们都会替孩子担心
That never goes away. But to me,
这点永远不变,但我觉得
it sounds like you found your passion.
你似乎找到了你真正热爱的东西
You were open to it when it presented itself; you didn't settle.
凡事全身心投入,不随遇而安
It's exactly the sense of adventure Andrew's mother and I
这种冒险精神正是安德鲁的母亲和我
tried to foster in our own children.
希望我们的孩子能够学到的一点
You guys enrolled me in a programming class in third grade.
你们在我三年级时就替我报名了编程班
And look at you now.
看看你现在的成就
I'm sorry it's taken so long for us to get together.
过了这么久我们才有机会见面,真是遗憾
You're remarkable.
你非常了不起
Watson, what are you doing here?
华生,你来这儿干什么
Well, I just came here to punch you.
我就是来打你一拳
What was that for?
为什么
I hate it when you're right.
我讨厌你总是对的
Is this about your dinner?
是关于你的晚饭吗
It was totally a Meet the Parents thing.
完全是见家长的节奏
There really is no version of meeting someone's parents
见家长的时候
that doesn't involve actually meeting their parents.
都是要见到家长本人的
You know what I mean. And Andrew's father
你懂我的意思,安德鲁的父亲
was so amazing-- he was warm and welcoming.
简直无可挑剔,热情又友好
He was obviously so thrilled that I was dating his son.
显然我和他儿子交往令他很满意
I mean, it went about as well as you could possibly imagine.
事情进展得超乎寻常地顺利
And yet...
但是
I didn't want any of it.
我并不希望如此
I just didn't feel comfortable.
我不习惯这样
I mean, Andrew is smart, he's kind,
安德鲁聪明又善良
he doesn't dress like a high school student
他从来不会穿得
who just got expelled. What is wrong with me?
像个刚被开除的高中生,我这是怎么了
I'm not feeling anything I'm supposed to be feeling.
我现在的情绪完全出乎自己的意料
I'm an expert in many things, but love is not one of them.
我是很多方面的专家,不过情感并非其中之一
I do know, however, it cannot be reduced
不过我明白,爱并不是
to a checklist of traits.
单靠罗列其优缺点就能概括的感受
You know, you might have to accept
你和安德鲁的感情
the fact that whatever your relationship with Andrew means,
并不是你真正想要的东西
you just don't want it.
你应该尝试接受这点
Then what do I want?
那我想要的是什么
I don't know.
我不知道
While you're sorting that out, you might inadvertently
等你找到以后,说不定
be treating a kind man... rather shabbily.
你会发现自己一直在亏待一个好人
Well, I-I know what has to happen.
我知道这一切是不可避免了
What are you up to, anyway?
你在干什么
Why-why are you making Clyde paint?
你为什么在让克莱德画画
I'm not forcing him to do anything.
我没有逼它做任何事
He enjoys it.
它乐在其中
It's quite soothing to watch...
我在等着自取其辱的时候
while I wait to be humiliated.
看着它画画会让我稍显宽慰
When we parted company, we were assuming that Steven Horowitz
你走的时候,我们以为
was murdered by one of his investors.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨是被他的投资人谋杀的
Now, cursory investigation has revealed that to be false.
简单调查之后,证明这个假设是错的
Steven, it turns out, worked enough of the Mother Lode
原来史蒂文在良心发现之前
to pay off his investors
已经从主矿脉里
before he had his change of heart.
赚到了足够的钱来回报他的投资人了
So if it wasn't one of them...
如果凶手不是那些人的话...
We are quite without suspect.
我们就没什么怀疑目标了
In an effort to dredge one up,
为了挖掘嫌疑人
I've been thinking about the nature of debt.
我一直在思考债务本身的问题
It is, first and foremost,
首先
leverage that one person holds over another.
这是一种人与人之间的经济关系
Okay.
同意
Given that,
鉴于此
I've been wondering if perhaps our killer had reason
我在想凶手是否有理由
to want someone in that portfolio--
希望名单中的人
or someones-- to stay in debt.
维持着欠债的状态
Before he had his change of heart,
在他良心发现之前
Steven drove all the way out to Connecticut
史蒂文一路开车到康涅狄格州
to hound one man-Owen Downey.
就为了找到欧文·唐尼这个人
Now, there are other people listed on the Mother Lode
而主矿脉的名单上还有其他人
who owed more money and lived nearby.
他们就住附近而且欠债更多
Steven focused on Owen.
史蒂文执着于欧文
Why?
为什么
Upon revisiting Owen,
重新翻看欧文的资料之后
I discovered something quite interesting
我发现他的住宅区
about his community-- all of the properties
很有意思,欧文的房子
within a five-mile radius of Owen's house
方圆八公里之内的所有地产
were purchased over the last two years
在最近的两年里都被同一家开发商收购了
by the same property developer: Jay Stern Investments.
杰·斯特恩投资公司
For what?
为什么
Don't know.
不知道
Hasn't been made public yet.
项目用途还没有公开
I've asked our friends at Everyone
我让"人人"的朋友
to have a look behind Stern Investments' firewalls
绕过斯特恩投资公司的防火墙查一下
and perhaps shed some light on the matter.
也许事情会有些眉目
They're presently deciding what price they wish to extract.
他们现在正在考虑索要什么样的报酬
Which is why you're waiting to be humiliated.
所以你在等着自取其辱
I believe that might be them now.
我想他们应该想好了
Brilliant.
太棒了
Yes. They are no doubt congratulating themselves
显然他们在庆贺
on having erected their most fiendish obstacle yet.
自己开出了一个最难以实现的价码
Well, yeah, they want a Super Bowl ring.
没错,他们想要一枚超级碗的戒指
The proverbial piece of cake.
真是小菜一碟
I'll simply call Phillip and the matter will be well in hand.
我只要打电话给菲利普就手到擒来了
Phillip? Phil Simms? I mean, I know you two
菲利普,菲利·史密斯吗,我知道
have worked together or something, but do you really think
你们曾经一起工作过,但你真以为
he's just gonna give you one of his Super Bowl rings?
他会给你一枚他的超级碗戒指吗
You've got no idea what the man owes me.
你根本不知道他欠过我什么人情
Morning.
早上好
Repast. Couture.
这是早餐,这是衣服
We're going to see the board of directors at Stern Investments.
我们要去见斯特恩投资公司的董事会
I didn't know I had any clothes left here.
我没想到自己还有衣服留在这里
You didn't. I purchased those.
并没有,这是我买的
We frequently work late nights, so I imagined they'd be of use.
我们经常工作到很晚,我想可能用得着
Hope they're to your liking.
希望你会喜欢
Oh. It's great, actually. Thanks.
还不错嘛,谢谢
Uh, why are we going to Stern Investments?
为什么我们要去斯特恩投资公司
Phillip squared his account with me,
菲利普和我两不相欠了
and Everyone got their ring.
"人人"也拿到了他们要的戒指
They spent quite a bit of time on Stern's servers.
他们在斯特恩公司的服务器上待了很久
I learned some interesting details about the sex lives
关于一些董事会成员的性生活
of some of the board members. I also determined
我掌握了很多细节,我还得知
they're planning to build a ski resort in Connecticut.
他们打算在康涅狄格州建一个滑雪场
Naugatuck, to be exact.
具体位置在诺格塔克
Which is why they're buying up the land.
所以他们要买地
At the moment,
与此同此
the details of the project are known only to the six members
只有斯特恩公司六位董事会成员
of Stern's board and their CEO.
以及他们的总裁知道这个计划
They'd like to unveil the plans next week.
他们打算在下周公布这个计划
Only there's a problem: Owen Downey's house sits right
但有个问题,欧文·唐尼的房子
in the middle of their proposed mountain lodge.
正位于他们预想建造的山间小屋附近
He's a holdout.
他是个钉子户
Mr. Downey is understandably unwilling
唐尼先生显然不愿意
to uproot his life in his current condition.
在目前情况下拆迁去别处
Stern thinks they'll be able to force a sale,
斯特恩认为他们能做成这笔买卖
since Owen will not be able to repay his medical debts
如果欧文没法偿还医疗账单
unless he sells his last remaining asset, his home.
他就不得不卖了他的唯一资产,房子
But if Steven forgave Owen's debt...
如果史蒂文免了欧文的债务
There'd be no need to sell.
他就不用卖房子了
The entire resort would be imperiled.
整个度假村计划将搁浅
Only six people knew about this?
只有六个人知道这事
Seven, including the CEO.
七个,包括CEO
I do like a nice tidy pool of suspects.
我就喜欢嫌疑人扎堆
We've got to be able to line up
我们得联合镇上所有人
everybody in town, I mean, shoulder to shoulder,
肩并肩齐心协力
or we're gonna look awfully weak in this next meeting.
不然下次会议时我们就要糟了
Morning, ladies and gentlemen.
早上好,女士们先生们
What the hell is going on?
这是怎么回事
I'm sorry, sir.
先生,对不起
I couldn't stop them.
我拦不住他们
Apologies for the interruption,
抱歉打扰你们开会
but cold logic dictates that one of you is likely a killer.
但根据客观推断,你们中有一个杀人犯
My colleague and I are in
我和我的同事
an on-again, off-again relationship with the NYPD.
是纽约警局的顾问
We thought we'd take a look at you all in one place
我们认为应该在你们聚在一起的时候
and see if anyone pops out.
来观察谁表现奇怪
This is insane.
这太离谱了
What are you even talking about?
你在说什么
Look, you can't barge in here. Get out.
你没权闯入这个地方,出去
Call our attorneys.
给我们的律师打电话吧
Sherlock.
夏洛克
My apologies.
我道歉
On second thoughts, it's distinctly possible
我重新考虑了下
there is no killer in this room.
这屋里明显没有杀人犯
One of you, however, does like to be spanked.
但你们中某个人,很喜欢被鞭笞
Carry on!
你们继续
What happened in there? I thought you were sure
在那里面到底怎么回事,我以为你很确定
one of them did it.
是他们中某个做的
Of the seven people in that room,
房间里的七个人
three of them are women of small stature.
其中三个是身材娇小的女性
One was a geriatric, and one was trying to hide
一个是老人,一个试图在同事面前
the fact that he's nearly blind from the rest of his colleagues.
掩盖他几乎失明的事实
And one, whose e-mails I happen to have read,
还有一个,根据我碰巧看到的邮件
was spending his evening in the company of his dominatrix
史蒂文·霍洛维茨被杀那晚
at the time that Steven Horowitz was killed.
他是在施虐女王那里度过的
The CEO was the only one who could have overpowered
那个CEO是唯一能制伏并重创
and bludgeoned a grown man, and he had the remnants
成年男子的人,但他的发际线边缘
of a peeling sunburn at the edges of his hairline.
有晒伤脱皮的痕迹残余
We'll confirm it, but I think he was on holiday
我们之后确认下,但我觉得谋杀发生时
at the time of the murder.
他是在度假
Any one of them could have hired a killer.
他们中某个可能雇了一个杀手
Unlikely.
不可能
Professional killers tend to execute people
专业杀手普遍会以专业流行的手法
in professional fashion. They don't blunder about
来杀人,他们不会错手用
with fire extinguishers.
灭火器杀人
So in other words, we're nowhere.
换句话说,我们毫无进展了
Quite the contrary.
恰好相反
I have a very good idea who killed Steven Horowitz.
我有个杀人犯的极好猜想
Sorry, who are you here to meet with?
抱歉,你来这里是见谁的
Oh, no, we're not here to meet anyone. We just came to look
没有,我们来这里没约见谁
at one of your partners, uh, Coleman Brown.
我们是来看你的合伙人科尔曼·布朗的
Um, th-these are on, uh, public display, are they not?
这些是开放参观的,是吗
I guess.
我想是的
Great. Thanks.
很好,谢谢
When we were expelled from Stern Investments,
我们从斯特恩投资被赶出来的时候
their CEO gave me the card of their attorney.
那个CEO给我一张他们律师的名片
Did you know that Stern Investments is represented by...
你知道斯特恩公司的代理律所是
Dorchester-Reid?
多尔切斯特·里德吗
So someone from Steven's
所以史蒂文老东家的某个人
old law firm represents the people
是那些想在欧文·唐尼地产上
who want to build a ski resort on Owen Downey's property.
建滑雪度假村的人的代表律师
An attorney who, if worth his salt as a negotiator,
作为一个律师,如果谈判顺利
stands to earn a massive commission
那么度假村建成后
should the resort become a reality.
会赚取大额的佣金
Coleman Brown.
科尔曼·布朗
I did a little research on the way over here.
在来的路上,我查了一些资料
Coleman and Steven were both members
科尔曼和史蒂文都是
of the Braebury Country Club.
布拉博利乡村俱乐部的成员
Apparently they routinely played golf together.
很显然他们定期一起打高尔夫
I suspect it was Coleman Brown who made Steven aware
我怀疑最初让史蒂文
of the Mother Lode in the first place.
知道主矿脉的人,就是科尔曼
So this guy points Steven at Owen.
所以是他引导史蒂文找欧文
But if Steven forgave Owen's debt
但如果史蒂文免了欧文的债
instead of breathing down his neck until he sold his house...
而不是逼着欧文直到他卖了房子...
Coleman Brown would lose millions.
科尔曼·布朗会损失数百万
Excuse me.
抱歉
Mr. Brown.
布朗先生
It's a very good likeness, yes.
你和画像很像,真的
A bit flattering in the cheekbones
颧骨更突出一点
but it's good.
但这很好
Our receptionist said
我们的接待员说
there were two people here to look at a painting of me.
有两个人来看我的画像
Can I help you with something?
有什么地方我能帮忙吗
Oh, no. Not at the moment.
暂时没有
Thank you, though.
但还是谢谢你
So now what?
那现在呢
Now we build a case against Mr. Brown.
现在我们要针对布朗先生立案了
Did you really have to bring that back here?
你非要把那幅画拿回来吗
I hardly think the painting will be missed.
一旦我们证实科尔曼·布朗
Once we prove that Coleman Brown is a cold-blooded murderer,
是个冷血杀手,我不觉得这画会被怀念
they'll probably take it down anyway.
他们可能会立马把它拿下来
Besides, there's something about his smug visage
此外,有他自鸣得意的样貌在这
I find highly motivating.
我觉得很有激励性
If you're so motivated, how come we haven't connected him
如果你备受激励,为何到现在我们还没找到
to the murder yet?
他和谋杀案的关联
I suspect it has to do with a paucity of physical evidence.
我怀疑这是因为实物证据的缺乏
I don't care if you're motivated
我不管你是不是备受激励了
by him or not. I feel like he's staring at me.
我觉得他在盯着我
I'm taking it down.
我要把它拿下来
In this painting, Mr. Brown is wearing
在这幅肖像中,布朗先生
a pair of horn-rimmed glasses.
戴着一副角质镜框的眼镜
If you Google him,
如果你上网搜索他
he's wearing the same pair in all of his pictures.
他在所有照片里都戴着同一副眼镜
When we met him today...
但今天我们见到他时
He was wearing rimless frames.
他戴的是一副无框眼镜
Could be he has more than one pair of glasses.
有可能是他有很多副眼镜
Could be.
有可能
Or maybe there's some physical evidence after all.
也有可能我们终于找到物证了
Mr. Brown. Thanks for coming down.
布朗先生,谢谢前来
Whatever. Let's make this fast.
不论如何,速战速决吧
We just have a few questions. Right this way.
我们就有几个问题,这边
Oh, seriously? These two?
有没有搞错,又是他们俩
They stole a portrait worth thousands of dollars
他们昨天从我办公室偷走了
from my office yesterday.
一副价值数千美元的画像
Well, we'll, sort that out in a bit.
我们... 稍后会解决这个问题
First, uh, have a seat.
首先,请坐吧
We wanted to talk to you about...
我们想和你聊聊
Steven Horowitz.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨
Guy who used to work at my firm?
那个原来在我公司工作的人
We know that you alerted Steven
我们知道你让史蒂文
to a package of debt which contained
收集关于债务的信息
Owen Downey's medical bills.
其中包括欧文·唐尼的医疗账单
We also know that you stood to earn millions of dollars
我们还知道你能赚取数百万美元
if Stern Investments could compel Mr. Downey to sell his home.
如果斯特恩投资能迫使唐尼先生卖掉他的房子
Unfortunately, your debt collector had a sentimental streak.
但很不幸你的收债人恻隐之心大动
And when Steven told you he planned to forgive Owen's debt
所以当史蒂文告诉你他打算
along with everyone else's, you couldn't abide that,
免除欧文和其他所有人的债务时
could you? You went to his office
你完全忍不住了,是不是
and you confronted him.
你去他办公室质问他
And then you killed him.
然后杀了他
That's ridiculous. I've never even set foot in his office.
这真可笑,我从没踏入过他的办公室
Are you sure about that?
你确定吗
Yes, I'm sure. I'm getting an attorney.
是,我很确定,我要请我的律师来了
That's a good idea. 'Cause you're gonna need one.
这是个好主意,你会需要律师的
You recently bought a new pair of glasses, didn't you?
你最近新买了副眼镜,是不是
So?
那又怎样
So you needed to buy a new pair of glasses because you shattered
你之所以需要买新眼镜
your old ones when you attacked Mr. Horowitz.
是因为旧的在你袭击霍洛维茨时碎了
We picked through the evidence again last night.
昨晚我们又重新检验了证据
Most of what we found was shattered glass
我们发现的大部分玻璃是来自
from the fire extinguisher box.
灭火器箱的
But some of it was polycarbonate.
但有些是树脂的
Like you'd find from a pair of glasses.
就像是眼镜上用的那种
When we put those pieces together,
当我们把所有碎片拼起来
a fingerprint very courteously assembled itself
一枚指纹清晰地出现在
on the partially reconstituted lens.
我们重组好的部分镜片上
Would you like to guess whose it was?
你想猜猜是谁的指纹吗
What were you saying before
你之前说什么来着
about never having set foot in his office?
从未踏进过他办公室是吗
I'm not saying anything else without my attorney present.
在我律师来之前,我不会说任何事
You have exactly one bargaining chip left.
你只有一个可以讨价还价的筹码了
The location of Steven Horowitz's body.
史蒂文·霍洛维茨的尸体的位置
We'll go ahead and call your attorney
我们继续,等我们给你
right after we get done
宣读完你所有的权利后
reading you your rights.
你再给你的律师打电话吧
What is that?
这是什么
That, madam, is your property.
这是你的财产
You're Steven Horowitz's next of kin, so...
你是史蒂文·霍洛维茨最近的亲属
you rightfully inherit ownership of the debt he was collecting
所以你有权继承他为了
in order to maintain the family lifestyle.
维持家庭生计所收集的债务单
Steven could have told me he was fired.
史蒂文可以告诉我他失业了
What happened to us?
我们是怎么了
I couldn't say.
我不知道
I can tell you that that package, worked properly,
但我能告诉你,这些东西
will make you very, very wealthy.
如果运作恰当,能使你很富有
Steven decided he had other ideas for it.
但史蒂文对此有不同的想法
Whether or not you decide to honor those ideas is...
你要不要遵循他的遗志
entirely up to you.
决定权在你手上
Skim milk latte
乔恩的脱脂牛奶拿铁和
for Joan and whole milk latte for Andrew.
安德鲁的全脂牛奶拿铁
Thank you.
谢谢
Oh. Excuse me.
抱歉
Here we go.
给你
Oh. Thanks.
谢谢
Skim milk. I think you gave me the wrong one.
脱脂牛奶,你给错了
Sorry.
抱歉
So, what's going on?
怎么了
Why'd you want to meet?
你怎么想见我了
Andrew, you're such a great guy,
安德鲁,你是个好人
and I'm lucky to know you. I just...
很幸运能认识你,我...
I'm not what you're looking for right now?
我不是你现在想要的那个人
Yeah, I-I don't know what I'm looking for.
我不知道我想要什么
That's the problem.
这才是问题所在
I mean, if...
我是说... 如果...
Andrew, are you okay?
安德鲁,你还好吗
Oh, my God, what's wrong?
老天,怎么了
Oh, my God. Somebody call an ambulance!
天呐,快叫救护车
Okay. Okay. Okay.
好吧
Andrew. Andrew.
安德鲁,安德鲁
Oh, God.
天呐
No. Andrew?
不,安德鲁
Okay.
好吧
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten....
一二三四五六七八九十...

重点单词   查看全部解释    
attorney [ə'tə:ni]

想一想再看

n. (辩护)律师

联想记忆
settled ['setld]

想一想再看

adj. 固定的;稳定的 v. 解决;定居(settle

 
unhappy [ʌn'hæpi]

想一想再看

adj. 不快乐的,不高兴的

 
independence [.indi'pendəns]

想一想再看

n. 独立,自主,自立

 
tension ['tenʃən]

想一想再看

n. 紧张,拉力,张力,紧张状态,[电]电压

联想记忆
impression [im'preʃən]

想一想再看

n. 印象,效果

联想记忆
release [ri'li:s]

想一想再看

n. 释放,让渡,发行
vt. 释放,让与,准

联想记忆
vulnerable ['vʌlnərəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 易受伤害的,有弱点的

联想记忆
voluntarily ['vɔləntərili]

想一想再看

adv. 自动地,以自由意志

 
merely ['miəli]

想一想再看

adv. 仅仅,只不过

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。