I don't think anybody does.
我觉得谁都没改变
People don't want to admit it, but it's like we have these innate set points
人们不愿意承认,但是 好像我们确实天生有些特点
and nothing much that happens to us changes our disposition.
无论发生什么都不会 改变我们对事物的看法
You believe that? I think so.
你相信这一点吗 我想是的
I read this study where they followed people who'd won the lottery
我看过那些跟踪研究 中彩票大奖的人
and people who'd become paraplegics.
以及截肢瘫痪的人的论文
You'd think one extreme is gonna make you euphoric and the other suicidal.
也许你会想到两个极端,一个 会使人欣快,一个使人想自尽
But the study shows that, after about six months
但是这项研究表明 6个月后
as soon as people had gotten used to their new situation
一旦人们适应了新的环境
they were, more or less, the same. The same?
他们就会,或多或少,和以前一样了 一样了吗
Yeah. Like, if they were basically an optimistic, jovial person
是的。比如说,如果他们 本来就是乐观,快活的人
they're now an optimistic, jovial person in a wheelchair.
在轮椅上他们依然是个乐观,快活
they're a petty, miserable asshole with a new Cadillac, a house and a boat.
坐着卡迪拉克,住着别墅,开着游艇, 他们依然悲观可怜
If they're a petty, miserable asshole
如果他们本来就是个悲观可怜的家伙
So I'll be forever depressed no matter what great things happen?
那么无论发生了什么伟大的事 我永远都是这么沮丧了吗
Definitely. Great.
毫无疑问 太好了
No, no, I'm not depressed.
不,我不失望