1.a drop in the bucket: an insufficient or inconsequential amount in comparison with what is required 沧海一粟; 九牛一毛
We passed the hat to collect some money for the homeless people, but it's not enough. It is just a drop in the bucket.
我们想募集一些资金来帮助无家可归的人们,但是这笔钱不够多 。只不过是九牛一毛而已 。
2.go haywire: mentally confused or crazy: 发疯的;出毛病
The computer was out of use in the past, so now it goes haywire from time to time, seriously affecting work proficiency.
过去这台电脑没有用过,所以现在时不时地出些毛病,严重影响工作效率 。
3.excuse oneself from: 借故推托, 婉言拒绝
When invited to Mary's birthday party, John tried to excuse himself from the party for fear of meeting his ex-girlfriend.
约翰受邀参加马丽的生日聚会,他却尽量借故推托,因为怕见到原来的女友 。
4.have it in my heart (to do sth.): [常用于否定句中]忍心; 很想
Having seen him down and out this way, I don't have it in my heart to leave him to fend for himself.
看见他穷困潦倒的样子,我不忍心让他独自谋生 。
5.go to great lengths: 竭尽全力
In order to find a niche in society, the ambitious young man goes to great lengths to climb the social ladder.
为了在社会上找准自己的位子,这位雄心勃勃的年轻人煞费苦心在社会阶梯上往上爬 。
6.bring home to sb.: 使自己意识到, 使自己清醒过来
What do I have to do to bring home to you the urgency of the situation?
你要我做什么才能使你认清情况的紧急呀?
7.no hard feeling: used after a disagreement to tell someone that you aren't angry. 不见怪,别难过
Hey, man. No hard feeling. I don't think it worth crying over spilt milk.
喂,老兄 。别难过了 。我认为事情已经弄糟而后悔很不值得 。
n. 比较