Career Dreaming
职业梦
“I can envision you as a U.S. envoy to a small undeveloped country,” Tony said.
“我能想见你作为美国外交是这前往一个欠发达的小国家。”托尼说。
He was Andy's best friend He was proud of the fact that Andy's confidence by equating him with great people.
托尼是安迪最好的朋友。托尼以安迪是整个学校最优秀的学生而自豪。
“You could be the equivalent of a hero in an epic.
“你还可以跟史诗中的英雄媲美。
You would make your classmates envious, and they'd have to erect a statue of you in front of the school.”
你可以让你的同学羡慕你,而且他们会在校门前为你立一尊雕像。”
“Very funny,” Andy replied.
“真有趣。”安迪回答,
“But in fact, an envoy is an ephemeral job.
“但事实上,使者是一种短暂的工作,
He usually stays for one episode then he leaves.” Andy was a very smart boy.
他通常为处理一个事件而稍事停留。事毕,即离任回国。”安迪是个很聪明的孩子。
If you gave him the right equipment, he could accomplish anything. But he lacked confidence.
你如果给他必要的设备,他什么都能造出来,但他缺乏信心。
“Well, perhaps you'll be the doctor who stops the spread of epidemics,” Tony said,
“那么,也许你会成为一名能防止传染病传播的医生,”托尼说,
“or the scientist who eradicates the AIDS virus.
“或者成为一位根除艾滋病病毒的科学家。
Since you like the outdoors, maybe you'll find a solution for soil erosion that will prevent the great rivers of the world from eroding their banks.”
因为你喜欢野外活动,也许你能找到办法解决土壤侵蚀问题,那样就可以防止世界上主要河流侵蚀其河岸的问题了。”
“Let's be a little more realistic, okay?” Andy said.
“我们还是更现实一点,好吗?”安迪说,
“And let's be equitable and talk about you.
“让我们公平些,谈谈你吧。
You love math equations.
你对数学等式感兴趣,
Perhaps you will force the scholars to erase earlier theories.
也许你会提出一个新的经济平衡理论,从而使学者们不得不摒弃先前的理论。
Or maybe you'll be an anthropologist who discovers exciting new fossils from the Pleistocene Epoch.”
或者也许你会发现更新时代一块令人激动的新化石,成为一名人类学家。”
“Thanks for your attempt at equity,” Tony said,
“谢谢你给我公平待遇,”托尼说,
“but you really can't equate your intellect with mine.
“但你真的不能把你的才智与我的等同起来。
You are a dozen times smarter. I'm only good at one thing.”
你比我聪明得多。我只擅长于一件事。”
“What's that?” asked Andy.
“什么?”安迪问。
“Being a good public relations agent,” Tony replied.
“做一名优秀的公关人员。”托尼说。