Enslaved by Fashion
时髦的奴隶
Above the entry to the store was a French name that few people would be capable of enunciating.
商店门口上方是个法国名字,几乎没有人能够把它清晰地读出来。
It was Ruth's favoriteshop.
这是鲁思最喜欢的商店。
“This colorful new dress enraptures me,” Ruth said.
“这套鲜艳的新款裙装真让我着迷。”鲁思说。
Shopping was an entrenched tradition for Ruth.
逛商店是鲁思固定不变的习惯。
Every week, the garment storeowners would enthrall her with their latest fashion ensembles.
服装店老板们每周都推出最新款女士套装来诱惑她,
In turn, Ruth would enrich them with her endless spending.
而鲁思的不加节制的消费习惯反过来也填鼓了他们自己的腰包。
“Do you realize that you're enslaved by fashion trends?” Lydia giggles.
“你是否意识到你已经成了时装潮流的奴隶?”利迪娅咯咯地笑着说。
She didn't like buying new clothes for herself, but it entertained her to watch Ruth.
利迪娅不爱买新衣服穿,但看鲁思穿新衣服也会使她很高兴。
Personally, Lydia preferred to envelop herself in an old oversized tee shirt and faded jeans.
就她本人而言,利迪娅更喜欢罩上宽松的旧T恤和退色的牛仔裤。
“Perhaps I do show a little too much enthusiasm for the latest fads,” Ruth replied.
“也许我的确有点太热衷于时髦了。”鲁思回答说。
“But I work very hard for my money.
“但我辛辛苦苦地挣钱,
I feel entitled to indulge myself with my favorite pastime.
我觉得我有权让自己尽情享受最喜欢的消遣活动。
Besides, what's better way to entrap a man than to wear an alluring dress?”
此外,有什么办法比穿上迷人的服装更能勾引男人呢?”
“You're absolutely right,” Lydia replied.
“你说的完全对,”利迪娅回答,
“However, I think I know how you can save a lot of money.
“但是,我想我知道你怎样才能省下很多钱。
Have you ever thought about starting your own clothing enterprise?
你是否想过创办一家自己的服装企业?
Being an entrepreneur would entitle you to buy the latest fashions at wholesale prices.”
当上企业家,你就有权以批发价买到迷人的服装了。”
“I'm not very enterprising.” Ruth said.
“我不是很有事业心的,”鲁思说,
“I don't have the skills to manage a business entity.
“我没本事管理一个企业实体,
And I don't have the stomach for dealing with bureaucratic entanglements.”
而且我对处理官场中的勾心斗角不感兴趣。”
“Shouldn't you try to enumerate the advantages and disadvantages before you make a decision?” Lydia asked.
“你应该先试着列举分析一下办企业的益处和弊端再做决定吧?”利迪娅问。
“It wouldn't make any difference,” Ruth replied.
“那没什么用,”鲁思回答,
“I still would prefer not to mix business with pleasure.”
“我还是不愿把快乐与经商扯在一起。”